Researching for a Mach 1 to Purchase

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djb68

Reaction score
My Car
Researching to purchase a Mach 1
I am new to this forum. I have started doing research on Mach 1's so I can be as informed as possible when I'm ready to purchase.

I tried searching for things to watch for when purchasing, but am having a hard time finding anything.

Does anyone know if there was a forum that discussed purchasing a Mach 1?

You've probably come to the right place if you're wanting a 71-73 mach1. We dont generally cover the 69-70, or the reboot around 2000 or the re-reboot around 2022. Do you have specific questions?

The big thing to look for will be if what you're looking at is the real car or a fake, has it been wrecked and rebuilt, what options did it come with from the factory, how many of those are still present, what shape is the car in, has the car been restored in the past and if so, did they use a bunch of imported low quality parts.

Welcome from Chicago! You are in the right place to get all of the facts that you will need to make an informed purchase. I just bought my 71 Mach about 2 1/2 years ago and I wish I had found this forum before I purchased. In addition, there are often members selling their cars on the forum and IMO, would be a better place to purchase one than off eBay or bring a trailer. Please don't hesitate to ask all of the questions that come to mind, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this site that are extremely helpful and willing to share information. I have learned a tremendous amount in the two years since I was referred to this site. Good luck on your search, I hope you find the perfect car to fulfill your vision!

Last edited:
I personally haven't looked, but finding a '71-'73 Mach 1 shouldn't be too long of a search. Now , finding a cheap one is going to be harder, like trying to find a cheap '69 Camaro, etc. Everything is available to the man who has the money . I would hazard a guess that there are some bargains still sitting in people's garages and backyards, but, like any special old car, a person has to travel, scrounge, yak it up with people, to find that Easter egg hiding out there. My travels have taught me that it's generally cheaper to buy a completed car, rather than the cost of bringing a "Basket Case" up to even useable, reliable, driving standards.

Mach I's come in many variations. Many engines, many options. You really need to figure out what you will and won't accept. For me I want how it came from factory (Marti Report), so any deviations have to be factored in a reduction in price. I prefer to have a loaded one as if I buy a bare bones Mach, I will aways be envious of loaded ones. At the same time, I kind of like a fastback with no options and even a 6cyl. that has had an easy life, and they are rare nowadays and simplicity to maintain is great. The most important thing is to learn about body conditions. A bargain usually isn't if it will need expensive repairs like rust or poor past body work etc. I don't mind some rust etc., but I want to know exactly what I'm dealing with. Giantpune didn't mention the 74's 78 Mach 1's that are available. They deserve respect also and are some of my favorites. I don't need the fastest car out there and if I do it would be a newer car not a vintage one. Also, there is a search engine that finds lots of cars on the internet websites, but I can't remember its name. I would start with it if possible. You can't read too much about what you plan on buying as knowledge is your best tool. I do google searches in a few different wordings when shopping for a type of car to learn as much as possible even if it takes over 40 hours

Last edited:
Welcome from SW Ontario Canada.
I do know of a one owner 71 Mach 1 M code with C6 auto. It is in SW Ontario but never winter driven. It is a prime example of a Mach 1. The owner is a friend of mine and I've personally known this car for many years.
Here's a link to the ad in our classifieds

https://7173mustangs.com/threads/1-owner-1971-mach-1-for-sale-in-sw-ontario-canada.43566/
Good morning Stanglover

I sure do appreciate you sending me the car to look at. I am all for original (currently restoring a 1930 Model A) and this looks to be as original as it gets. Very impressive.

Mach I's come in many variations. Many engines, many options. You really need to figure out what you will and won't accept. For me I want how it came from factory (Marti Report), so any deviations have to be factored in a reduction in price. I prefer to have a loaded one as if I buy a bare bones Mach, I will aways be envious of loaded ones. At the same time, I kind of like a fastback with no options and even a 6cyl. that has had an easy life, and they are rare nowadays and simplicity to maintain is great. The most important thing is to learn about body conditions. A bargain usually isn't if it will need expensive repairs like rust or poor past body work etc. I don't mind some rust etc., but I want to know exactly what I'm dealing with. Giantpune didn't mention the 74's 78 Mach 1's that are available. They deserve respect also and are some of my favorites. I don't need the fastest car out there and if I do it would be a newer car not a vintage one. Also, there is a search engine that finds lots of cars on the internet websites, but I can't remember its name. I would start with it if possible. You can't read too much about what you plan on buying as knowledge is your best tool. I do google searches in a few different wordings when shopping for a type of car to learn as much as possible even if it takes over 40 hours
Thanks Greg

I am have honed in on either a fastback or Mach 1. I am not really concerned with originality or needing the most powerful engine. I just want to enjoy the look and ride and not have to worry about it breaking down or doing a lot of restoration. I have enough work restoring a 1930 Model A, don't need another project.

When I was looking at another car, there were key areas to look at for rust & rot. Are their areas in a fastback that are prone to rot?

Good morning Stanglover

I sure do appreciate you sending me the car to look at. I am all for original (currently restoring a 1930 Model A) and this looks to be as original as it gets. Very impressive.
First with the cash can buy it. It will go to an RM Auction soon and ought to do very well price wise.

Back