Selling my low mileage survivor 1973 Mustang Convertible on Ebay to fund my MANY MANY projects!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the up side, the car will be in a fantastic new movie set in the seventies if it is still in my possession by early next month, so there's that. Even if it is gone by then, I have another car perfect for the role, so you guys will be the first to see the video when that happens!

If it were a factory manual shift, it would be sold already, to me ! Gorgeous car, love the color !!

Last edited:
That is indeed a beautiful Convertible Mustang. One of our pony cars is also a 1973 Mustang Convertible. It is a True Survivor as well, having been literally barn stored over 40 years after a prior owner became very ill. We are the 4th owner (1st owner traded it soon after his purchase for a 4x4 truck, owner 2 and his family had it over 40 years and stored it when he became very ill, owner 3 purchased it with just over 17,000 original miles and did some maintenance, replaced the top, replaced the tires, installed a set or 14" Magnum 500 wheels, and a installed dual exhaust system with an H-Pipe). We acquired it about 3 years ago with just over 19,000 original miles on it. The paint is original (Gold Glow) is truly in immaculate, near perfect, and well preserved condition.

The engine is a 302 2v v-8, with a C4 automatic transmission. We added Classic Air air conditioning, replaced the original taillight incandescent bulbs with a set of LED panels, installed a Garmin Drive 72 GPS and wireless backup camera, replaced the original idiot light instrument panel with a Dakota VHX analog gauge instrument panel, installed a full length center console (ACP), installed a WebCam, and have done some routine maintenance using only the best parts, material, and engine oil available. Despite never having an overheating problem, I installed a Champion aluminum three row radiator with matching aluminum fan shroud that holds dual electric cooling fans (our 73 Mach 1 had a cooling issue with low speed driving and prolonged idling, so I installed a dual electric fan cooling system with terrific results). I also installed a coolant overflow/capture tank. This is a treasure chest on wheels, and we realize how fortunate we are to own such a wonderful piece of automotive history.

The vert looks as good as it drives. Everything on it works. I rebuilt the carburetor as it had a slight hesitation on light acceleration. It turns out the carb had been rebuilt once before and someone had the fuel bowl float level set just over 1/4" too low. That setting was corrected, and the engine now starts, runs, and performs perfectly. Although the paint is original, and in really great condition, there was one small area just below the trunk lock where the original paint was a bit thin and a tiny bit of corrosion had begun to take hold. I removed the trunk lid and had the lower part of the rear vertical edge corrected where the rust had tried to get a foothold, and repainted only on the lower half of that vertical surface. I then installed a rear trunk stripe to lay over the area where the new paint met the old paint in order to both hide/obscure the new vs old paint difference (impossible to have seen anyway), and to give the Mustang a little more edge to its look.

I also added a front spoiler, just to give it a little more visual edge to an otherwise fairly demure, very stock looking Mustang Convertible. Working on and tinkering with this vert, or driving it, is like stepping back 50 years in time. And the experience is aways a true pleasure. This Mustang never fails to draw a crowd wherever we go. It is not as flashy, fast, or beefy looking as our other pony cars (1969 Shelby GT500, 1973 Mach 1 Mustang, 2020 Shelby GT500), but it definitely holds s special place in our hearts. "Real" Mustang enthusiasts know how special this particular vehicle is, despite being more of a city runner than a high performance machine. There is just something truly magical about it, Pure Magic in so many ways (PFM).

Attachments

• 1973MustantConvertible_LoweerRearTrunkLidEdge_BelowLock_2_20191027.JPG
    1973MustantConvertible_LoweerRearTrunkLidEdge_BelowLock_2_20191027.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4286.JPG
    IMG_4286.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4287.JPG
    IMG_4287.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5456.JPG
    IMG_5456.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1973Convertible_BARNF1ND_LicensePlate_20210516_IMG-6006.jpg
    1973Convertible_BARNF1ND_LicensePlate_20210516_IMG-6006.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1973MustangConvertible_FrontSpoilerRelated_01_20200503.JPG
    1973MustangConvertible_FrontSpoilerRelated_01_20200503.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1973MustangConvertible_FrontSpoilerRelated_02_20200503.JPG
    1973MustangConvertible_FrontSpoilerRelated_02_20200503.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1973MustangConvertible_FrontSpoilerRelated_05_20200503.JPG
    1973MustangConvertible_FrontSpoilerRelated_05_20200503.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1973MustangConvertible_FrontSpoilerRelated_11_20200503.JPG
    1973MustangConvertible_FrontSpoilerRelated_11_20200503.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1973MustangConvertible_FrontSpoilerRelated_22_20200503.JPG
    1973MustangConvertible_FrontSpoilerRelated_22_20200503.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3006_FromLeftRear.jpg
    IMG_3006_FromLeftRear.jpg
    11.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3008.jpg
    IMG_3008.jpg
    9.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3011.jpg
    IMG_3011.jpg
    10.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3014.jpg
    IMG_3014.jpg
    11.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4704.JPG
    IMG_4704.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4705.JPG
    IMG_4705.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3514.JPG
    IMG_3514.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PowerPanel_1_IMG_3511.JPG
    PowerPanel_1_IMG_3511.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4500.JPG
    IMG_4500.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 1973MustangConvertible_CenterConsole_MagneticPhonePadMountsDetail_20190915.JPG
    1973MustangConvertible_CenterConsole_MagneticPhonePadMountsDetail_20190915.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1973MustangConvertible_CenterConsole_PowerPanelCloseUp_20190915.JPG
    1973MustangConvertible_CenterConsole_PowerPanelCloseUp_20190915.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 1973MustangConvertible_CenterConsole_LeftSide_20190915.JPG
    1973MustangConvertible_CenterConsole_LeftSide_20190915.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1973MustangConvertible_CenterConsole_MagneticPhonePadMountsDetail_20190915.JPG
    1973MustangConvertible_CenterConsole_MagneticPhonePadMountsDetail_20190915.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1973MustangConvertible_CenterConsole_TrannyShifter_PowerPanel_20190915.JPG
    1973MustangConvertible_CenterConsole_TrannyShifter_PowerPanel_20190915.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1973MustangConvertible_DakotaDash_All3Pods_20190915.JPG
    1973MustangConvertible_DakotaDash_All3Pods_20190915.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That is indeed a beautiful Convertible Mustang. One of our pony cars is also a 1973 Mustang Convertible. It is a True Survivor as well, having been literally barn stored over 40 years after a prior owner became very ill. We are the 4th owner (1st owner traded it soon after his purchase for a 4x4 truck, owner 2 and his family had it over 40 years and stored it when he became very ill, owner 3 purchased it with just over 17,000 original miles and did some maintenance, replaced the top, replaced the tires, installed a set or 14" Magnum 500 wheels, and a installed dual exhaust system with an H-Pipe). We acquired it about 3 years ago with just over 19,000 original miles on it. The paint is original (Gold Glow) is truly in immaculate, near perfect, and well preserved condition.

The engine is a 302 2v v-8, with a C4 automatic transmission. We added Classic Air air conditioning, replaced the original taillight incandescent bulbs with a set of LED panels, installed a Garmin Drive 72 GPS and wireless backup camera, replaced the original idiot light instrument panel with a Dakota VHX analog gauge instrument panel, installed a full length center console (ACP), installed a WebCam, and have done some routine maintenance using only the best parts, material, and engine oil available. Despite neve3r having an overheating problem, I installed a Champion aluminum three row radiator with matching aluminum fan shroud that holds dual electric cooling fans (our 73 Mach 1 had a cooling issue with low speed driving and prolonged idling, so I installed a dual electric fan cooling system with terrific results). I also installed a coolant overflow/capture tank. This is a treasure chest on wheels, and we are fortunate to own such a wonderful piece of automotive history.

The vert looks as good as it drives. Everything on it works. I rebuilt the carburetor as it had a slight hesitation on light acceleration. It turns out the carb had been rebuilt once before and someone had the fuel bowl float level set just over 1/4" too low. That is now corrected, and the engine now starts, runs and performs perfectly. Although the paint is original, and in really great condition, there was one small area just below the trunk lock where the original paint was a bit thin and a tiny bit of corrosion had begun to take hold. I removed the trunk lid and had the lower part of the rear vertical edge corrected where the rust had tried to get a foothold, and repainted only on the lower half of that vertical surface. I then installed a rear trunk stripe to lay over the area where the new paint met the old paint in order to both hide/obscure the new vs old paint difference (impossible to have seen anyway), and to give the Mustang a little more edge to its look.

I also added a front spoiler, just to give it a little more visual edge to an otherwise fairly demure, very stock looking Mustang Convertible. Working on and tinkering with this vert, or driving it, is like stepping back 50 years in time.
Looks nice, Mr GMHale!

I totally agree. I hate to take the time and effort to take it to Mecum in Kissimmee, but that's probably what I will have to do. Then there will be more fees I have to pay and a lot more fees for the buyer to pay, and because of that I won't be able to negotiate much on the price. I'm running the car on Ebay and using Facebook to promote it. Another option is "Bring a Trailer," but it might take two months to get the car running there. I can't understand why buyers don't see the value of buying the car on these venues and prefer to lay down huge money for the same car at a big auction. But maybe my car will sell for $88,000 like this one, and I'll be laughing all the way to the bank! https://barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1972-FORD-MUSTANG-MACH-1-259021
I bought my 72 Mach 1 on eBay in 2018 for a negotiated $21k. Very reasonable at the time. Also have no problem buying used or new parts in eBay as well. Like every classic car, it all depends on how much each individual is willing to pay.

On the up side, the car will be in a fantastic new movie set in the seventies if it is still in my possession by early next month, so there's that. Even if it is gone by then, I have another car perfect for the role, so you guys will be the first to see the video when that happens!
That’s too cool, can’t wait to see the film.

Looks like your listing sold. Congratulations! Hope the sale completes without any difficulty. It is a great car for the new owner. I hope they maintain it and care for it as much as the 3 previous owners have.

If "Ghosted" means he vanished, sort of, lol. Right after he won the auction he said he couldn't buy the car because the garage he was going to keep the car in was destroyed in the hurricaine. Seems he would have checked that before bidding. I reported him and Ebay has taken action. They refunded my money and I have relisted the car classified style with a Buy It Now. So frustrating!

Last edited:
What I find so frustrating is people always seem to think it's a "yard sale" or you're desperate for money or some other excuse, so they low ball you thinking they'll get a bargain so they can flip it for a profit.
I had been thinking of selling my 71 Mach 1, but I'd need way more than most would offer on eBay, cheap bastards!
Good luck Kevin, I really hope you get a price that reflect that awesome car. There can't be too many in that original condition out there.

Latest posts

Back