SN71

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found some time and was able to strip the top of the trunk lid, shave the lock hole and throw some primer on it. I used some flux core wire I had laying around for the lock hole because I still haven't gotten more solid wire. It's just SO much nicer to use solid wire with gas! I'll get more solid wire this week sometime to finish up the bumper.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371355105.703578.jpg

Had a few minutes tonight to do a little more work. I refit the trunk lid and quarter extensions now that they're primed and did the first pre-fit of the driver's door. It's gonna need a little 'gapping' to make it fit just right. I'll get it stripped and weld up the edge where needed to get the gap where I want it and also shave the handle and lock.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371439049.548224.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371439070.803906.jpg

I found some time and was able to strip the top of the trunk lid, shave the lock hole and throw some primer on it. I used some flux core wire I had laying around for the lock hole because I still haven't gotten more solid wire. It's just SO much nicer to use solid wire with gas! I'll get more solid wire this week sometime to finish up the bumper.
Looking good!

What welder do you use? I'm thinking of investing in a good MIG set-up for my future car needs and because, let's face it, having a welder around is just handy.

Shaved the handle and got the driver's door all gapped nice the the quarter. It's tedious to weld down the edge of panels, but well worth it in the end. Lets face it, these cars never had great gaps :(

By the way, my welder is about 15 years old and is one of the most temperamental welders I've ever used! As much as I bitch about it though, it's never let me down. The brand is Century, and it's a 110V unit that can be used with or without shielding gas.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371618171.870221.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371618196.002112.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371618223.118541.jpg

Welding skills - very good.

Grinding skills - awesome!
...just very good :( lol! Like I said I have the worlds most tempermental welder, and I'm currently running flux-cored wire in it because I haven't had chance to get my gas refilled yet. As long as it grinds out and is strong enough, who cares what it looks like before. Although I'll be the first to admit there are some crappy looking welds in that pic before grinding ;)

WORDS CANNOT EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE HOW PISSED OFF I AM RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, there I was stripping the door I just spent 2 nights fitting to the quarter and shaving the handle on when I found more FU@$*%# bondo than I've EVER seen in one place on a panel in my life! I've been a body man for over 15 years and was a paint rep for 5 of those years. I've been in well over about 75-100 shops in CT and seen some hack work that would make someone who didn't know what they were even looking at cringe and NEVER, EVER have I seen something as bad as this!!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371701881.753562.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371701899.802881.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371701915.952803.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371701932.436218.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371701948.702701.jpg

I don't even know what I'm gonna do with this...I just need to go to bed now!

Shaved the handle and got the driver's door all gapped nice the the quarter. It's tedious to weld down the edge of panels, but well worth it in the end. Lets face it, these cars never had great gaps :(

By the way, my welder is about 15 years old and is one of the most temperamental welders I've ever used! As much as I bitch about it though, it's never let me down. The brand is Century, and it's a 110V unit that can be used with or without shielding gas.
Hey..that gapping procedure looks quite familiar :)

Nice job !

So, there I was stripping the door I just spent 2 nights fitting to the quarter and shaving the handle on when I found more FU@$*%# bondo than I've EVER seen in one place on a panel in my life! I've been a body man for over 15 years and was a paint rep for 5 of those years. I've been in well over about 75-100 shops in CT and seen some hack work that would make someone who didn't know what they were even looking at cringe and NEVER, EVER have I seen something as bad as this!!!!!

Damm..hack a molo-e

Too bad it's the driver door..I have 2 good passenger doors..BUT I also have a drivers door that just the bottom is rotted..I'm thinking you could cut that section out & do a section into your door..The door I have was media blasted so theres no hidden surprises..If you want it let me know

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey..that gapping procedure looks quite familiar :)

Nice job !

Damm..hack a molo-e

Too bad it's the driver door..I have 2 good passenger doors..BUT I also have a drivers door that just the bottom is rotted..I'm thinking you could cut that section out & do a section into your door..The door I have was media blasted so theres no hidden surprises..If you want it let me know
Q that would be fantastic! I was actually thinking I could ask around to see if anybody had any rotted doors laying around I could section from because mine is as solid as they come on the bottom. What do you want for it?

Wow, that really sucks. Hopefully you get something figured out. Note to self: strip entire car to find surprises...

I was able to work out a deal with Qcode351mach and I plan on picking up an extra door he has either today or tomorrow. It's apparently rotted out on the bottom so I'll section the area I need out of the skin and make it work. Kinda sucks to do, but not nearly as bad as it would suck to try and straighten what I've got. The rest of my panels will be stripped before anything else is done to them. I took for granted that this car was super clean as far as rot was concerned not even thinking there'd be a section on a door with better than a half inch of bondo on it!

Back