SN71

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking the same thing when I took my bumper off. Really interested to see how you tuck yours

Really curious to see what you do with the coilovers. I've never heard of those mockup tools before though it makes perfect sense! Congrats on getting it into primer I bet it feels awesome to get that done!

Really curious to see what you do with the coilovers. I've never heard of those mockup tools before though it makes perfect sense! Congrats on getting it into primer I bet it feels awesome to get that done!
I was going to make some because I can't afford real ones right now and I wasn't sure about length. I did a google search to get some ideas on how to make them and found those for $60 and couldn't pass it up. They're adjustable in half inch increments too. Really nice tool to have for a situation like this.

Here's the way Ford should've made the bumpers fit:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370927607.789705.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370927648.939380.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370927668.205757.jpg

The only problem now is I have to do the other side :p

I'm also going to extend the bottom of the bumper all the way across and slightly change the angle so it flows right into the valance as you can see where I already started this on the corner. The other thing I plan on is changing the shape where the license plate is so that it follows the contours of the valance better there as well.

Wow that bumper is awesome. You should take some more pics of the process when you do the other side. Looking Great!

Thanks for the comments as always :) it's great to get motivational positive feedback.

As for more pics, I plan to take a few more of the right side when I do it. The left side was kind of experimental with some trial & error. Now that I know what to do it'll be easier to describe with pics on the other side.

Thanks for the comments as always :) it's great to get motivational positive feedback.

As for more pics, I plan to take a few more of the right side when I do it. The left side was kind of experimental with some trial & error. Now that I know what to do it'll be easier to describe with pics on the other side.
Nice work O !

You stole my Idea (just kidding) I was planing the same mod..I hate the way the bumper ends stick out past the otr..

Got a bit further with the rear bumper mods tonight, I'm about halfway across. I need to do some minor touch up welding, but I ran out of MIG wire just as I was about to weld the factory carriage bolt hole on top.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371096796.025035.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371096811.470019.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371096832.469987.jpg

Since I'm out of MIG wire I had to find something else to do tonight to keep the momentum going. So I stripped and primed the underside of the trunk lid. :) busy weekend coming up so that's probably it till next week. I'm gonna try to grab some wire this weekend so I can finish up the bumper next week.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371185958.009122.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371185981.173069.jpg

That bumper looks great! What gage material did you use? Similar to the bumper? Will you rechrome or paint it?

Thanks!
The material I'm using is actually slightly thinner than the original bumper because it's a little easier to work with and I had a bunch of it already laying around the garage. My plan is to paint it black to match the car, not because it makes this process easier, but because that's what my plan has been from the beginning. No chrome or stainless except for the lips of my wheels. This process could certainly be done if you were re-chroming, you would just have to be slightly more meticulous. There are a few areas I'm letting go a bit knowing I could fill them easily.

Good work! Not to put more on your plate but...smoothing the inside of the trunk lid would be sweet.
I plan to make a nice interior panel to take care of that :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back