Sound off if you have a convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New at this so probably doing it wrong, lol.

I just purchased a 1973 convertible H code with c-4, yellow with white top and white and black interior, air, ps, pb, has headers and aluminum wheels not ford. I am waiting on delivery to N.C. it is California car and never been painted or restored.

The other car is 72 Q code with c-6, factory ram air car, tilt column, ginger sebring knit interior and I think it had black top originally. It is gold metallic has chrome bumpers with guards and magnum 500 wheels. This car was taken completely apart and dip stripped and all metal repaired. I was epoxy primer and sprayed inside the boxes and places that paint would not reach. It has been started in assembly with all new parts and is back to rolling chassis. Engine is built with forged pistons, big cam, roller rockers and triple springs with racing valves.

After getting the Marti on this car not going to sell one of 320 CJ made with C-6.

Since posting this I have also purchased a 72 vert parts car that was loaded with options even P.W.. Also purchased another 73 off eBay that is Factory Special Order with Black exterior. Marti says one of 144 special order mustangs in 73. Had Argent front bumper according to the build sheet and looks like Argent side stripe and hood insert.

With the help of forum members I purchased another 72 vert parts car that was a one owner that was in perfect shape until hit in the rear and crashed in the front. The interior and top is exactly the same as what I needed for the 72 Q vert and it they had just installed ceramic coated headers and stainless dual exhaust so that will also go to the Q vert.

I hope this is all the verts I will own too many now, lol.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Look what I towed home today!

IMG_20150306_172938.jpg

I'm thinking about going blue glow, black top, white interior with a 351c 4v and either a 4r70w or a 5-spd manual trans. Then lowered with 17 or 18 inch wheels.

Finally!! Congrats Don! :)

So, you basically wanna make a Luxstang copy in blue? I can issue you an official license. :)

Congrats Don! You're gonna love the ride, literally! I'm selling tips to make it a "JHawk" special! Autograph's included with the premium package! You know...kinda like a "Foose" car! :D:D

JHawk
You're selling on the wrong corner. Stay out of my territory!

:)

Congrats Don! You're gonna love the ride, literally! I'm selling tips to make it a "JHawk" special! Autograph's included with the premium package! You know...kinda like a "Foose" car! :D:D

JHawk
You're selling on the wrong corner. Stay out of my territory!

:)
Lollerz I'm sure i'll be stealing ideas from all the verts I see on the forum. JHawk, I do like the spoiler on the deck lid and I have an extra one. Plus those chrome wheels look great against dark color paint. Hmmm..

Now that I think about it Mike, seems like your car started life red as well. I need to find your old thread where you have photos of your car's build. Mine may be very similar blue version when done.

I'm also thinking about selling the M-code Mach 1 project car (gasp!) and it's spare body now that I have a very to play with. I'd still have the Q-code car my son and I are building so there would still ( a Mach 1 here to play with.

The red pics are in my garage here.

Here are some pics from way back

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425737975.303350.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425738006.714284.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425738036.925130.jpg

I have a secret desire/ambition (don't tell my wife) to get a 71 or 72 convertible and was wondering how many convertibles there are on here.

So, if you have a 71-73 convertible make a post to this thread listing the year, engine and any other options you'd like to share and let's see how many we can get listed.

Example:

71 M-code, ram air, Lime with white top.
Hello, I Do have a 1971 Grabber Green Super Charged M code Ram Air, with every option, I think, AND it's on Ebay! Convertible, pretty nice! Item 171820281810. The top is black though....It is a pretty cool car. Regards, Mark 209.613.0092

I have a secret desire/ambition (don't tell my wife) to get a 71 or 72 convertible and was wondering how many convertibles there are on here.

So, if you have a 71-73 convertible make a post to this thread listing the year, engine and any other options you'd like to share and let's see how many we can get listed.

Example:

Hello, I Do have a 1971 Grabber Green Super Charged M code Ram Air, with every option, I think, AND it's on Ebay! Convertible, pretty nice! Item 171820281810. The top is black though....It is a pretty cool car. Regards, Mark 209.613.0092
Not for sale but just showing it off.

Example:

1971 M code, rim blow, tilt, power windows, Grabber Lime. Decor, Appearance, Protection, Groups, Drag Pack, and on Ebay 171820281810

71fordls.JPG

71 Yellow/White 351C-2V FMX with Deluxe Int. Owned for 30+ years. Badly in need of restoration at this point.

From the factory - '73, H Code, FMX, 2.75 rear gear. Wimbledon White, Black top, Deluxe Interior, Exterior Decor, A/C.

Modifications -

"Tuned" the Cleveland with a Comp Cam and matching valve train, 9:1 pistons, Eldebrock Performer and Holley Street Avenger.

Replaced FMX with Tremec 5-speed

3.50 rear gear

Replaced suspension with Maier racing components, and Bilstein shocks. Replaced front sway bar with 1 1/8" unit.

Dual exhaust.

Coy wheels

Chin spoiler, NASA hood, rear deck wing,

Modifications -

Replaced FMX with Tremec 5-speed

3.50 rear gear
I have a 3550 trans sitting in my garage and also a 3.50 T-loc rear. I'm wondering about how useful first gear is since the ratio appears to be a bit steep.

How do you like that trans and rear combo? How's top gear...still plenty of passing power at say 60-65mph without downshifting? How is first gear...like a dump truck or just about right?

Don,

Apologies for the delayed response- I was under/ over our car all morning ( first week of school coming up, so we had to do some detailing!) and then on the ball field all afternoon.

We love the set up, especially as my son is driving this car and it's his first time driving a manual. The first gear is a little low, but makes for a very easy take off. We are set up to low idle at 850 RPM, and you can, with a slow clutch release, take off without hitting the accelerator. This has been great for Jake as he learns to "feel" the car.

So first is a little low- we're shifting at around 15-18 mph at 2500 rpm.Not quite a dump truck, but if you're hammering it,you're shifting outta the gate. Once you get going, though, the middle gears are a playground! My fav is hitting third gear at around 40 and kicking in the secondaries and watching all my suburban minivan driving neighbors drop their cellphones in their laps as we fly by!

At cruising speed of 65 MPH we're spinning 18-1900 RPM, which give enough torque to pass on the flats.

Since you have all the parts, I'd say give it a try. It's way more fun to drive than the FMX- in my humble opinion!

Don,

I was on the Modern Driveline site this morning and saw that Tremec as come out with an app.

"The TREMEC Toolbox App for iOS and Android smartphones will help you simplify driveline setup, predict the effects of changing gear ratios and tire size, and calculate vehicle speed and RPM variables."

Even though my swap is done, I'm gonna check it out - could be a fun tool to play with.

http://moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/Tremec_App.htm

By the way- I'm looking to go from the MD's cable linkage system to the hydraulic.

Back