springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know the specifics for your engines but in general shifting to some aluminum and headers for the big block can sometimes eliminate the need to swap springs. FEs get much lighter with aluminum heads and intake. Not sure how much is saved on a 385.

Thanks for the replys and the chart. Should help a lot.

The car was originaly an a/c car with an auto trans. Have been racing the car up until a year ago. The mach is going to be a driver during the warm months

Jim

The eaton spring web site shows the same spring for a 429 and a 351 without ac. 1 ,MC1278 * without/AC Standard Duty 418 2, MC1278 * with/AC Standard Duty 418 .The first is a 351,2nd is 429.That being said, it's probably not a bad idea to replace them after 44 years if you can work them in the budget.

My Mach1 had 351C 4v + air con, so I believe it came with the stiffest springs. Air was stripped out years go. Handling with 351C was good. With a mostly stock 429 (ally intake but iron manifolds & iron wp) it's ok to drive but I would prefer it to be be stiffer. The front end feels more ponderous in turns, you have to think more about what it's doing all thru the corner if you try to carry any speed. Hopefully this year I will get some stiffer springs & maybe anti-roll bars. I have KYB gas-a-just dampers atm but I will be fitting some adjustable Spax ones I acquired.

Back