Spring compressor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Green on green 72 Mach 1
What’s everyone’s go to front coil spring compressor?
Need to remove my front springs and either replace them or cut a coil or two out.
Front sits way to high.
I put new Eaton front springs in and they are way too tall.
I bought 351 springs and I believe they lost the same spring with or without A/C.
I almost bought non A/C springs.
The spring rate seems good but are just too tall. I know I shave some weight with the aluminum heads and no A/C components installed.
Thanks

AC and non-AC springs are very different and are two different part #s. You've taken off a couple hundred pounds with the mods you've listed. A call to Eaton might yield you the info on how much to trim.

As far as a spring compressor, I have the SnapOn version of the OEM Tools compressor that Autozone sells/loans. Compress the spring into the shock tower, unbolt the upper arm, swing it out of the way and then release the spring. Easy peasy. Flip the "fork" upside down on top of the shock tower.

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-too...55573_0_0?searchText=spring+compressor+loaner

AC and non-AC springs are very different and are two different part #s. You've taken off a couple hundred pounds with the mods you've listed. A call to Eaton might yield you the info on how much to trim.

As far as a spring compressor, I have the SnapOn version of the OEM Tools compressor that Autozone sells/loans. Compress the spring into the shock tower, unbolt the upper arm, swing it out of the way and then release the spring. Easy peasy. Flip the "fork" upside down on top of the shock tower.

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-too...55573_0_0?searchText=spring+compressor+loaner
So just use the lower hooks?
Aww that makes sense now.
I had that style but I used both upper and lower hooks and the thread rod is way too long that way.
I ended up ruining mine.
I guess they do list two different springs for A/C and non A/C. I know I bought the ones for non A/C.
I just remember they were taller than the original ones I removed.
ThanksIMG_9554.png

Last edited:
Factory manuals specify it in terms of distance from the center of the hub to the top of the wheel arch. That way it is not affected by the size of your tires. The spec is different depending on what options your car has. They even have a chart that shows how much the car should lower depending on how much fuel is in it and what type of suspension it has.

That said, 4" between the tires and the fender arch is nuts. Like something you'd expect to see on a car sitting in a field with the engine pulled out. I wouldnt cut the springs. I would try to return them and buy the correct ones.

1699238303970.png

Mine did the same thing, even after 6 months I could pass my fist over the tire without touching the fender. I cut an entire coil off. No issues. I did read all the manufacturers selection guides…chose the spring for my car and options…

and your question, which compressor? By far the best is the threaded square tube one that slips in place of your shock, and compresses with a big plate and nut up on top of the shock tower….

Attachments

• IMG_3539.jpeg
    IMG_3539.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I'm just throwing this in here.

First, I'd call Eaton and ask their opinion. I've found them very helpful.
When I did a suspension change a few years ago, I ordered, but should have known better, a front end kit from Scott Drake for my 71 Mach, manual trans, no A/C. While the components were ok, the springs they sold were totally wrong. The wire gauge was smaller and were about 2" taller than the factory ones I took out. My front end guy had a bitch of a job putting them in as well. That alone should have been a red flag. Setting the car back on the ground, the front end pointed to the sky, literally.
What I did was call Eaton and ask to confirm the correct spring gauge and height for the correct spring for MY car. It turned out to be 15" freestanding. Checking the old spring, I found they were just 1/16" short and perfectly straight. So they were put back in and still in there. The wheel arch height is spot on.
So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Attachments

• IMG_0433.1.JPG
    IMG_0433.1.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0434.1.JPG
    IMG_0434.1.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0436.1.JPG
    IMG_0436.1.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
+1 with RIBS on the spring compressor. This is what I use and love it. You just remove the shock absorber and put this in and bolt it to the spring perch. I got mine from a guy named TommyZees on eBay. He makes them himself, is a master welder and mustang enthusiast. Here’s a link…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264306294293

When I did a suspension change a few years ago, I ordered, but should have know better, a front end kit from Scott Drake for my 71 Mach, manual trans, no A/C. While the components were ok, the springs they sold were totally wrong. The wire gauge was smaller and were about 2" taller than the factory ones I took out. My front end guy had a bitch of a job putting them in as well. That alone should have been a red flag. Setting the car back on the ground, the front end pointed to the sky, literally.
What I did was call Eaton and ask to confirm the correct spring gauge and height for the correct spring for MY car. It turned out to be 15" freestanding. Checking the old spring, I found they were just 1/16" short and perfectly straight. So they were put back in and still in there. The wheel arch height is spot on.
So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it

When I did a suspension change a few years ago, I ordered, but should have know better, a front end kit from Scott Drake for my 71 Mach, manual trans, no A/C. While the components were ok, the springs they sold were totally wrong. The wire gauge was smaller and were about 2" taller than the factory ones I took out. My front end guy had a bitch of a job putting them in as well. That alone should have been a red flag. Setting the car back on the ground, the front end pointed to the sky, literally.
So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Same here the spring was so tall I had a very hard time compressing it enough to install it. I destroyed my spring compressor in the process. Thanks

Same here the spring was so tall I had a very hard time compressing it enough to install it. I destroyed my spring compressor in the process. Thanks
If you got them from Eaton's, I might suggest the wrong size was ordered, or a mistake was made at their end, and I find that doubtful, but who knows.
Check the wire gauge against your originals. Going from memory only, I think the SD ones were about .600" wire diameter. I could check the ones on the car, but again, depending on YOUR car specs, may be different. Let me know if you want that info.

So just use the lower hooks?
Aww that makes sense now.
I had that style but I used both upper and lower hooks and the thread rod is way too long that way.
I ended up ruining mine.
I guess they do list two different springs for A/C and non A/C. I know I bought the ones for non A/C.
I just remember they were taller than the original ones I removed.
Thanks
Wow, that sits waaaayyyy higher than it's supposed to. I'd contact Eaton straight away, there's no reason I can think of for it to sit that high.

My 71 has Moog 8534 front coils matched with 429CJ replacement rear leafs, and it sits at 14.125"/14.625" by the A/B dims on the specs posted above. The only aluminum on my 351C is the intake.

Specs from a Moog catalog I've had for 25+ years.

1699290243328.png

Here's how I use the compressor

1699290321319.png

1699290337394.png

Last edited:
I have that same compressor. For spring only removal/swap, if you take the outer spring plate off, you can compress the spring only and remove it without having to remove the upper control arm.
That tool is a tight fit, but will work.

Wow, that sits waaaayyyy higher than it's supposed to. I'd contact Eaton straight away, there's no reason I can think of for it to sit that high.

My 71 has Moog 8534 front and 429CJ replacement rear leafs, and it sits at 14.125"/14.625" by the A/B dims on the specs posted above. The only aluminum on my 351C is the intake.

Specs from a Moog catalog I've had for 25+ years.

View attachment 82781

Here's how I use the compressor

View attachment 82782

View attachment 82783
I talked to Eaton and they say they should be just a tad over 15 inches. I’ll have to get them out to measure them. Here is how it sat with the original springs. IMG_9564.png

Give or take a smidge, the front end measures 14 5/8" center wheel to lip on wheel arch and 14 1/8" rear. That is with Eaton's Boss 351 springs at 153 lbs spring rate. A bit overkill tbh especially on bumpy side roads. The coils spring wire gauge is .650" as best as I can measure leaning over the top of the tire.

Back