Steering issues, please help!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geoff, that's the one thing I think of the most. We have discussed that a few times here over the years and know now how important the right geometry is. To get the right one for our cars is not easy these days...
But what wonders me about how could it be ok before rebuild of the steering box and now something is binding and he didn't change anything since. Could it be that the steering linkage was or is so worn out that now it shows it??? Perhaps something is mounted the wrong way now and he is not seeing the obvious? We all know this - you are searching something and walk by it a zillion times but don't see it.
It's so difficult to evaluate from a distance and without being there...
Absolutely correct Tim. We are missing something obvious. Done it myself many many times.

Could it be something binding on the steering stop? I can vaguely remember how does the stock steering stop looks like. Is it even possible to connect the tie rod wrong on the spindle that it could be binding with the pinch weld when the car is down? The idle arm shouldn't change its height with the car up or down, so that shouldn't be the case. Can the center link be bent or so that when the car is down it's moving the steering ends up and binding? That's why I was suggesting to check the steering turn-to-turn while following it's movement under the car.

Could it be something binding on the steering stop? I can vaguely remember how does the stock steering stop looks like. Is it even possible to connect the tie rod wrong on the spindle that it could be binding with the pinch weld when the car is down? The idle arm shouldn't change its height with the car up or down, so that shouldn't be the case. Can the center link be bent or so that when the car is down it's moving the steering ends up and binding? That's why I was suggesting to check the steering turn-to-turn while following it's movement under the car.
Tony, If it is the correct idler arm, I agree, but I was wondering if it could possibly be the wrong idler arm. This is a mystery for sure without actually seeing it for one's self.
A video of what's happening might be a good idea in this case. It's weird for sure.

I suggest you do the testing recommended by the board experts, but record with sound the entire test so we can get a feel from the visual and the sound. Maybe even the same test a few times with the camera recording a separate part of the suspension? Sometimes, a video is worth more than a thousand words.

Yea im stumped too. Before I sent off the saginaw box and pump to be rebuild, everything worked just fine, just leaked a bit. But since I just dumped $20k in parts over the winter I figured I may as well do the steering box and pump. After the reinstall is when shit went wrong. Only thing that hasn't been replaced on the steering system is the center link. But it was fine before and nothing binded. Can't understand why now it chose to not work correctly. I did add AC from Classic Auto Air and it works fantastic. And the new belt for that does go around the power steering pump too. But I don't think it has anything to do with it.
I had the same problem and it turned out to be the steering gearbox which was a rebuilt unit. I installed the old unit and problem solved.

Curious if you were able to do this test.
I don’t know if you were able to try the test. The idea behind this is that it can show a stuck control valve. Inside the input of the steering box is the control valve. If there is trash in it, or it is damaged you can end up with unequal power steering left to right. If it is hung up the car will “phantom” steer to full lock when the car is idling and the wheels don’t have any friction (up in the air). The steering wheel will spin on its own.

I don’t know if you were able to try the test. The idea behind this is that it can show a stuck control valve. Inside the input of the steering box is the control valve. If there is trash in it, or it is damaged you can end up with unequal power steering left to right. If it is hung up the car will “phantom” steer to full lock when the car is idling and the wheels don’t have any friction (up in the air). The steering wheel will spin on its own.
Bentworker, a lot of what I now know, I learned from you. I've personally not seen or experienced the phantom steering issue, but I have had the issue of a spool valve (or control valve) not giving equal steering left to right. This eventually proved to be that somehow, the outer valve body went out of round by .001", measured on a CMM. The tolerances are very close and this caused sticking that could not be overcome by the fluid pressure. Also, it was very hard to actually assemble the spool valve components. A replacement valve cured the problem.
Dirt within the system could also definitely cause this problem and why an inline filter on the return line, is a good idea.

Ok so it won't "steer" by itself either way with the front end up. But I did notice fluid puking out the bottom at the selector shaft that the pitman is on. Appears to flow out nicely with each turn of the wheel. So obviously it's not holding pressure at all which makes sense why it's so easy to turn up in the air. I'm f-ing over it.
What kind of steering system would you recommend? I was going to wait until fall and research and buy a good one when I add trick flow heads and headers. But I may as well do it now. I'm sure the headers I'll be going with won't play nice with my saginaw box.

Well 3rd time was the charm. Had another NOS gear box sent and it works perfectly again. So happy. I don't know what the problem was but it's good now. Even got to put 250 miles on it over the last few days. Now I just have the rest of the 500 oh so fun break in miles to go before I can drive it like I want to.

HI just joining the conversation. My car was completely under water back in hurricane IKE . Luckily my engine was out at a engine shop and remained high and dry , but my steering box was under water and I am sure I got water in it. Now I need a new steering box. You say you got 3 NOS steering box before you got a good one? Where did the other 2 bad ones go? I have seen NOS steering box on ebay without ford box. Makes me wonder if they were only cleaned on the outside to make it look NOS. I have seen rebuild units for sale. I think this might be the way to go. Can Anybody out there recomend a place to buy rebuild units , hopefully not from our Covid friends in China.

I rebuild my own, but then I am/was a machinist, so able to do necessary repairs to the typically worn sector shaft. If your box only needs a reseal kit, it's doable by someone with good mechanical skills and necessary tools as well as access to a bunch of so-so YouTube videos!!. If there sector shaft looks anything like this one below, buy a new PS box.
Other than that, it seems that the better rebuild and upgrades can be bought from RedHead Steering.
I'm not sure how water would get in unless the sector shaft seals are totally worn out. If that were the case, fluid would be pissing out too. The only other entry possibility is at the input shaft seal, but the water would need to be pretty high for that.

Attachments

• IMG_1613.1.JPG
    IMG_1613.1.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 4
Back