Welding Flex#12

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is copper backing or aluminum baking?
It is where you hold a piece of copper or aluminum like 1/4" thick on the back side of the hole you are trying to welded. that helps you fill the hole.
Ahh I see. I've never welded up a hole...just joined stuff together. Still pretty new at MIG welding.
If you can do that you can fill a hole, just hold the copper flat against it and you will be fine. Give it on an scrap piece, you will like how it works. Just remember to use something to hold the copper, not your hands!!!! it get very hot VERY fast!!! They pull the heat from the work you are welding. It works very well that way, I will use copper under thin metal just to keep it cooler and reduce warpage.

hope this helped, ask more if you need!! I can also take pics to show you if you need, a pic is worth a 1000 words!!!!

It is where you hold a piece of copper or aluminum like 1/4" thick on the back side of the hole you are trying to welded. that helps you fill the hole.
Ahh I see. I've never welded up a hole...just joined stuff together. Still pretty new at MIG welding.
If you can do that you can fill a hole, just hold the copper flat against it and you will be fine. Give it on an scrap piece, you will like how it works. Just remember to use something to hold the copper, not your hands!!!! it get very hot VERY fast!!! They pull the heat from the work you are welding. It works very well that way, I will use copper under thin metal just to keep it cooler and reduce warpage.

hope this helped, ask more if you need!! I can also take pics to show you if you need, a pic is worth a 1000 words!!!!
Thanks Doc! I'm in rebuild an engine with my son mode right now but when I tackle the 71's rust removal/weld in new metal I'm sure I'll be posting some questions. Guys like you, Scott and many others providing info makes working on these cars much less frustrating and more enjoyable! Thank you.

Back