Well, what if I just rebuilt the top end?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Complete engine rebuild or upgrade heads only?

• Just rebuild the heads and add performance upgrades

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Rebuild the whole motor. It's worth the effort and expense.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Both choices have pros and cons - it's simply up to you.

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
Say Doc, where's the project at these days? Been almost two months since you originally posted this.
Hi Eric -

Gee, time flies when you're sitting around saving money for parts. :p

I redid the compression check yesterday because I didn't bang and scrape my knuckles the first time I took all the plugs out to do the compression check. :D

Here are the numbers I got:

1 - 115

2 - 115

3 - 110

4 - 115

5 - 115

6 - 125

7 - 105

8 - 100

They're pretty much within the 20% of each other that I've seen suggested as "OK". What do you think?

Cam kit and headers will be ordered tomorrow and installed over Christmas break. Then choose a carb/intake combo and when they're installed, take her for a spin and see what effect those mods have. I'll post up some pics as soon as I start taking things apart.

Doc

From past experiences - rebuild the whole motor.
Also when you are doing your head work and cam change,it will be very wise at looking at up grading the valves to the single groove with matching locks and keepers.This is the weak link in ths Clevelands.The factory valves are subject to pulling them selves apart.Just a word of caution.Good luck on your project!

Mustang 3.jpg

Back