What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm feeling bad because I have been neglecting my 73 Mach trying to get my 65 ready to sell. I bought this coupe with the intentions of making a quick profit to spend on my 1973 Mach 1 but I'm getting a little more into it than I had hopped. Sound familiar?

All I wanted to do is make this 65 coupe a driver by getting it running. The difference between a drive and non-driver is generally about $1,000. Having a drivable project not only adds about $1,000 to the value, but it opens the market to a lot more buyers. A lot of people would like to invest in one of these classic ponies, but it scares them to buy a car that doesn't run. They can justify spending the money on a project if it is drivable.

I put on a new fuel pump and accelerator pump and fed it via gas can and it fires right up. The fuel sending unit completelytely clogged so I got a new one now I've got to check the fuel line(tank to pump) and if it's good to go I can take her for a drive.

Here it is being fired up from a gas can.

[video=youtube]

Nice job guys
Thanks M !

Looking good. Keep it up and keep the pics coming "Q" !!
Will do !

Looking good Scott.
Thanks M !

Scott ....you make it look easy!
Thanks Ken ! Not such an easy repair though..Had to really think this one out:idea: I wish they would make full replacement doors already..Watch..After I finish the car they will come out with doors :dodgy:

Looking really good guys!
Thanks Don;)

Not so much done yesterday..Had to go to the dentist..But will attack it again today.

100_3393.JPG100_3394.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Started the 351 C and snapped a rocker arm bolt. This car has fought me every inch of the way. Today I will try to get the broken part out. Going to try a reverse drill bit and hope for the best. Oh, and both exhaust manifold gaskets are leaking...new , I guess the manifolds warped while they were apart.

Started the 351 C and snapped a rocker arm bolt. This car has fought me every inch of the way. Today I will try to get the broken part out. Going to try a reverse drill bit and hope for the best. Oh, and both exhaust manifold gaskets are leaking...new , I guess the manifolds warped while they were apart.
Don, pretty sure 351 C did not use an exhaust manifold gasket

Check with Chuck he will know for sure

Don

Got lucky, the bolt came right out. Runs fine now

It had gaskets on the exhaust when I tore it down, and new ones were in the engine overhaul kit.

But, Now that someone mentioned it.....I just can't remember if factory used them or not.

Well folks seems I'm back and with a passion. Removed and replace my windshield last night. Had a small leak and a minor scratch about 3 inches long that everyone said would buff out but it bothered me, so I will have a nice windshield for sale cheap with a small scratch. Then went back today to install my new EMS billet hood hinges thats when the trouble started. First of all they had been on order for nearly 6 weeks because of the shocks not holding our hoods up. Well whoever redesigned them missed the mark, still DO NOT hold our hoods up. Two of the bolts with the kit are too short( no biggy) but as per the instruction they have you install the shocks before installation the remove for adjustments:huh: With the shocks install something is majorly wrong. The hood is in perfect alignment without the shocks on and jacks the back of the hood up a good 1/4 inch installed. Of coarse they are closed on weekends so my only choice was to remove the shocks and call on Monday:mad::mad::mad:

2012-02-24_18-20-41_927.jpg

2012-02-25_20-25-36_558.jpg

2012-02-25_16-36-40_398.jpg

2012-02-25_16-37-35_150.jpg

2012-02-25_16-38-29_405.jpg

2012-02-25_16-39-01_748.jpg

2012-02-25_16-39-15_94.jpg

2012-02-25_16-46-49_339.jpg

2012-02-25_16-47-03_400.jpg

2012-02-25_16-55-11_895.jpg

2012-02-25_16-55-24_466.jpg

2012-02-25_17-09-44_238.jpg

2012-02-25_17-10-24_988.jpg

Then went back today to install my new EMS billet hood hinges thats when the trouble started. First of all they had been on order for nearly 6 weeks because of the shocks not holding our hoods up. Well whoever redesigned them missed the mark, still DO NOT hold our hoods up. Two of the bolts with the kit are too short( no biggy) but as per the instruction they have you install the shocks before installation the remove for adjustments:huh: With the shocks install something is majorly wrong. The hood is in perfect alignment without the shocks on and jacks the back of the hood up a good 1/4 inch installed. Of coarse they are closed on weekends so my only choice was to remove the shocks and call on Monday:mad::mad::mad:
That Blows Roy:mad:

On the other hand I'm glad your the guinea pig before I ordered mine..I hate when you run into these types of problems on a PAINTED & finished car..All I can say is that I'm putting the entire body on my car together including every piece of trim..BEFORE it's painted..I hope you figure out the hood problem..if not thanks in advance for saving me a ton of $$$ for those baby's

Then went back today to install my new EMS billet hood hinges thats when the trouble started. First of all they had been on order for nearly 6 weeks because of the shocks not holding our hoods up. Well whoever redesigned them missed the mark, still DO NOT hold our hoods up. Two of the bolts with the kit are too short( no biggy) but as per the instruction they have you install the shocks before installation the remove for adjustments:huh: With the shocks install something is majorly wrong. The hood is in perfect alignment without the shocks on and jacks the back of the hood up a good 1/4 inch installed. Of coarse they are closed on weekends so my only choice was to remove the shocks and call on Monday:mad::mad::mad:

On the other hand I'm glad your the guinea pig before I ordered mine..I hate when you run into these types of problems on a PAINTED & finished car..All I can say is that I'm putting the entire body on my car together including every piece of trim..BEFORE it's painted..I hope you figure out the hood problem..if not thanks in advance for saving me a ton of $$$ for those baby's
Anytime:mad: Will call them first thing Monday morning for a chance to figure it out. If no luck will return them and powder coat my originals and install new springs. But damn these things look awesome

Got the subframe connectors welded in today - looks awesome under there and felt good to put something nice (and not absolutely required) on the car for a change of pace from cutting out bad stuff and simply replacing it. Left the camera at the shop - so I'll post up a couple pics tomorrow (after I get the last bits of tail light panel and the area behind the passenger side quarter extension sheet metal replaced.

Anytime:mad: Will call them first thing Monday morning for a chance to figure it out. If no luck will return them and powder coat my originals and install new springs. But damn these things look awesome
Yea, they are a unreal piece...What it sounds like to me is that the strut is either to long (not allowing the hinge to close fully) or one of the strut mounting points are not located properly.. As far as not holding the hood up :huh:

I bet it's a simple matter of they gave you the wrong strut..Kinda makes sense..won't hold the hood up & won't let the hinge close fully..Keep us posted..Inquiring minds wanna know :exclamation:

Started working on the read disk brake conversion. Should be done by the end of the week. April is quickly approaching. Want to have her done by the Easter Forest Park Car Show in STL. One of the biggest shows of the year.

All wet sanding is done and buffing started.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3004129/1972-ford-mustang/page-25

Have you tried "Ring Bros"? They make very nice billet hinges. Dont know if they have any for our cars.

Have you tried "Ring Bros"? They make very nice billet hinges. Dont know if they have any for our cars.
I think they ALL are made by EMS, but will check them out. The problem I have is fighting this heavy a$$ hood on a painted car. We got extremely lucky yesterday of not scratching the car, but we had four people helping.

I think they ALL are made by EMS, but will check them out. The problem I have is fighting this heavy a$$ hood on a painted car. We got extremely lucky yesterday of not scratching the car, but we had four people helping.
Ring Bros doesn't make the hinges for our cars..Roy you may want to tape some moving blankets on the fender edges & let them hang over the fender..Thats what I do..& not the regular cloth moving blankets..They make a nice felt type..Check your local u-haul that's where I got mine..

Ring Bros doesn't make the hinges for our cars..Roy you may want to tape some moving blankets on the fender edges & let them hang over the fender..Thats what I do..& not the regular cloth moving blankets..They make a nice felt type..Check your local u-haul that's where I got mine..

We had everything covered. Nice moving blankets from HF. Just removed the for better pics to send to them, but you can only get tape in the gaps and thats more of what worried me.

Made some huge progress today. I got the mangled mess removed from above the passenger tail light along with the last bits of the tail light panel from the driver side, deconstructed the 'patch' I scored from the junkyard '72 Fastback, test fitted it and the tail light panel, and 'blasted the patch. Things went a lot faster when I started using the plasma cutter to burn through the spot welds - Hey, gonna plug weld the holes anyway, right? :D

Also got a shot of the sub-frame connectors, but the driver side picture turned out like crap.

Here's the mangled mess (for posterity sake):

404567_365833330094258_100000027814872_1384241_452587905_n.jpg

And here's the bad stuff cut out of there after my favorite thing in the world - drilling out spot welds (yay...):

430056_375279212483003_100000027814872_1411153_1993297274_n.jpg

Test-fitting the patch before 'blasting - that sucker fits almost perfect:

396568_375279239149667_100000027814872_1411154_50697524_n.jpg

And while we're at it - toss on the tail light panel... just for fun:

396468_375279269149664_100000027814872_1411155_1333620470_n.jpg

Here's the pic of one of the Global West sub-frame connectors welded in I mentioned from yesterday - fit like a glove and no clearance issues to speak of (except for the inside forward U-bolt mounts on the traction bars - they'll probably hit when the suspension cycles - haven't decided what to do about that yet). Still working on my welds... this wasn't the worst one, but it was only one of a few bad-looking welds... most of them turned out pretty nice. I actually am getting better!

420200_375279279149663_100000027814872_1411156_878008030_n.jpg

Back