What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
- Alternator bracket kit (where the Hell do I find one of those? in chrome or otherwise)

Did Don not have one?
Not listed on the site... but I've still got plenty of time to see if he does. Thanks for the idea.
Eric, for the Cleveland I have good used original ones

Email me

[email protected]

Thanks Don

- Alternator bracket kit (where the Hell do I find one of those? in chrome or otherwise)

Did Don not have one?
Not listed on the site... but I've still got plenty of time to see if he does. Thanks for the idea.
Eric, for the Cleveland I have good used original ones

Email me

[email protected]

Thanks Don
See :udaman:

The loom is on the way back from the U.S.A. after being restored, courtesy of Midlife Harness restorations. Some switches are also winging their way to me as I post.

I've found and purchased a restored Air cleaner and snorkel and new seal, again waiting for it to be delivered. Also bought a pair of new keys, ready to be cut tomorrow

$(KGrHqZHJC!E9rRD!vn5BPkI-PCO0w~~60_12.JPG

Also have been out in the workshop scrapping parts and cleaning them like a madman, ready to be painted.

Just ordered the first wave of things I need to get the Rustang out of the Auto Hobby Shop. Seems like Memorial Day will be the last weekend there. I'm thinking I can have everything underneath the car done, engine and tranny in, and maybe even fire it up by then (won't be drivable, but maybe we can hear what it sounds like).
Totally amazed how deep and thorough your restoration is, makes great reading.

General - An excellent thread with so much hard work and dedication from owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I purchased PPG epoxy primer. Crap that stuff must have gold flakes in it.
Yes sir Materials are through the roof ! You should consider spi epoxy

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

Best bang for the buck & top quality product ! All the top builders use it...It's what I use

Just ordered the first wave of things I need to get the Rustang out of the Auto Hobby Shop. Seems like Memorial Day will be the last weekend there. I'm thinking I can have everything underneath the car done, engine and tranny in, and maybe even fire it up by then (won't be drivable, but maybe we can hear what it sounds like).

General - An excellent thread with so much hard work and dedication from owners.
Thanks! Trust me, there have been some, "if I would've known then what I know now..." moments. But for the most part, I'm happy with the project and how it's going.

My news: I received the AOD slip-yoke tailshaft from Banning Driveline Tuesday afternoon, and plugged it into the AOD yesterday after work when I visited the shop - fits like a glove! Also determined (both in reading AND the tape measure) that my FMX is the same overall length as the 'small' AOD I scored - so, no shortening of the driveshaft should be required!! YAY!! Just gotta pick up a 1310/1130 U-joint to match it up to the driveshaft, and I should be able to just drop the tranny in. The guy who gave me [literally] the AOD also included everything with it, including the shifter, cooling lines, linkages, wiring harness, flexplate, torque converter... everything he took out of his '89 Mustang minus the tailshaft, which he reutilized with the T-5 he swapped in. I already picked up the proper flexplate for the swap, along with the new cross-member - so I should be ready to rock it... maybe even this weekend. I'm going to swap out the input shaft and output shaft seals while I have it out - just in case (even though it wasn't leaking when he drove it in).

Scott - Inline tube is completely ignoring me. I placed an order with them (online) last Thursday night, and haven't heard a thing back from them. Every time I get a chance to call them from here at work, I get distracted... but that's my next step. Hopefully, they'll still be able to fill the order (all fuel lines, all brake lines & mounting hardware). I'll keep ya posted.

UPDATE: I just called them (since obviously I had enough time to post this... duh...) and it turns out the lady processing orders forgot to e-mail the invoices. So - my stuff's on the way... should be here by next weekend.

Thanks! Trust me, there have been some, "if I would've known then what I know now..." moments. But for the most part, I'm happy with the project and how it's going.

My news: I received the AOD slip-yoke tailshaft from Banning Driveline Tuesday afternoon, and plugged it into the AOD yesterday after work when I visited the shop - fits like a glove! Also determined (both in reading AND the tape measure) that my FMX is the same overall length as the 'small' AOD I scored - so, no shortening of the driveshaft should be required!! YAY!! Just gotta pick up a 1310/1130 U-joint to match it up to the driveshaft, and I should be able to just drop the tranny in. The guy who gave me [literally] the AOD also included everything with it, including the shifter, cooling lines, linkages, wiring harness, flexplate, torque converter... everything he took out of his '89 Mustang minus the tailshaft, which he reutilized with the T-5 he swapped in. I already picked up the proper flexplate for the swap, along with the new cross-member - so I should be ready to rock it... maybe even this weekend. I'm going to swap out the input shaft and output shaft seals while I have it out - just in case (even though it wasn't leaking when he drove it in).

Scott - Inline tube is completely ignoring me. I placed an order with them (online) last Thursday night, and haven't heard a thing back from them. Every time I get a chance to call them from here at work, I get distracted... but that's my next step. Hopefully, they'll still be able to fill the order (all fuel lines, all brake lines & mounting hardware). I'll keep ya posted.

UPDATE: I just called them (since obviously I had enough time to post this... duh...) and it turns out the lady processing orders forgot to e-mail the invoices. So - my stuff's on the way... should be here by next weekend.
Totally awesome Eric!!! I know I'm excited about it I can only imagine your excitement!

Totally awesome Eric!!! I know I'm excited about it I can only imagine your excitement!
Thanks! Yes - I'm very excited! I have some finish-up stuff to do underneath (some final sealing and undercoating), but once that's done, it's all about putting new stuff in. I was hoping to hang the fuel tank, fuel lines, brake lines, and brake cables - then drop-in the transmission, engine, and exhaust (all in that order), but I might have to do a couple things out of order as the parts come in. I'll probably also rebuild the rear drum brakes while I'm waiting on some of the other parts, so I can have a working e-brake (I have a slightly sloped driveway, after all). That should get all of the underneath stuff done - then I won't 'need' a lift anymore, and can take it home if/when the shop closes.

I should be able to do just about everything else at home, after I buy a couple of big tools I was planning on getting anyway (40-50 gal compressor, bench-top blasting cabinet, hand-held gravity-feed soda-blaster, stuff like that).

Don't worry - I'll be having pictures to share! ;)

I worked on the planning for something really cool and if my efforts come to fruition this will be the biggest day of my personal Mach 1 history. I'm not sharing any details in case it all falls apart but it's looking good enough that I can say a little something by mentioning it on here. :D

I dropped my aussie heads off at the machine shop today, officially starting my engine build. I am going to go with a 408 Cleveland, eagle forged rotator, custom grind roller cam (high lift, minimal overlap), and alot of little SK Speed tricks to make pretty much as much power as the block can handle. Hopefully I will get to at least primer my car on Saturday.. still hoping for the right temperature and humidity level. After the car has some paint on it, the engine will come out and the machine work will begin.. This is going to be a gooood summer :p.

I dropped my aussie heads off at the machine shop today, officially starting my engine build. I am going to go with a 408 Cleveland, eagle forged rotator, custom grind roller cam (high lift, minimal overlap), and alot of little SK Speed tricks to make pretty much as much power as the block can handle. Hopefully I will get to at least primer my car on Saturday.. still hoping for the right temperature and humidity level. After the car has some paint on it, the engine will come out and the machine work will begin.. This is going to be a gooood summer :p.
Let me know how your build goes, I am getting a little smoke in between shifts.

All my interior switches turned up today from the U.S.A. , thanks to a fellow member.

The weather has been very wet these last few weeks so the paint job will be delayed until we've had a decent dry spell and the weather heats up.

Let me know how your build goes, I am getting a little smoke in between shifts.
Will do.. what kind of smoke is it?

I went to the body shop to visit my Mach 1. It has all of the old (non-original red) paint stripped off. They are touching up a few minor dings and then it's off to the paint booth for a fresh coat of original 3K Blue Glow metallic. Then, argent stripes and hood paint will be added to bring it back to it's original appearance. Should have it back by June. Can't wait to get it back on the road after nearly 30 years in dry storage.

I'm looking forward to it also... are you guys going with a kit, and which one?
Its going to be more or less pieced together, eagle's kit comes with a cast crank which I don't want.. But it will be eagle steel crank and forged rods with SRP pistons. The valvetrain will be parts from different companies that my machinist had good experiences with, the cam will be a comp flat tappet cam reground to be used with a hydraulic roller setup. It should be streetable, while being good to rev to 7000 RPM :).

Started off today looking to pull the rear drum brakes and backing plates so I could rebuild them with the new e-brake cables. Got everything pulled out, and just need to 'blast the plates and paint 'em... then put everything back together - that'll be tomorrow (mostly). I'm lacking the actual drums, one brake cylinder, and 3 of the cylinder pins - which are all on-order through O'Reilly Auto Parts... should be here Tuesday - and will go on the car first thing next weekend.

Still waiting on the fuel lines, brake lines, and hardware from Inline Tube. Called 'em on Wednesday and I should expect them before next weekend.

Tonight, I'm ordering ceramic-coated Hedman Hedders, Pypes 2.5" exhaust, Edelbrock 1406 Performer carb (& accessories), DS-II dizzy, coil, Blue Grommet box, Accel cut-to-length wires, and some other 'necessities' from Summit. Hopefully, I'll get all of that stuff in and jammed into the car with the engine and tranny within the next few weekends.

Tomorrow, I clean up the backing plates, install everything I got today for the brakes, the e-brake cables, the e-brake pedal, and finish up some sealing underneath. Also, new trunk lock, door locks, strikers, and some of the other cool things I got from Don if time permits (it's Mother's Day, after all... so I might have to quit a little early).

Back