What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday & today I sourced a pair of GT40 heads & EFI intake from a 96 explorer 5.0 for my 65. Now my 65 engine will be upgraded to a 94 Cobra equlivalent. :D. The best part is I only paid $120 for it all at the U pull it salvage yard. :)

Yesterday & today I sourced a pair of GT40 heads & EFI intake from a 96 explorer 5.0 for my 65. Now my 65 engine will be upgraded to a 94 Cobra equlivalent. :D. The best part is I only paid $120 for it all at the U pull it salvage yard. :)
wow great price! I was going that direction on a 67 coupe.... the cost to run the pump and lines was 400.00 just for the parts. I felt I should spend that money on a new interior. I never expected it to cost that much and was a big surprise just to make my cool idea actually work.

Last edited by a moderator:
RPM, the fuel pump is the only part I have left to decide...several options out there. The Inject Your Horse article (web page) is a really good article. It's about Ford Broncos but the info still applies to our horses too. Is EFI still on the table for your car?

I detailed my 73 Convertible and helped my daughter detail her 04 Mach 1, so their both ready for the car show tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get some good pictures to post up.

I media blasted, primed and "slop grey"-ed my shock tower to cowl braces. Certainly not shocking progress, but in the age of children I am trying to do one project per weekend no matter how minor it is. eventually I will be driving again....

For those wondering the slop/panel grey carried by NPD is pretty dark. About as dark as the original phosphate color. It is somewhere between semigloss and gloss. I have seen some cars with braces that were pretty light, almost battleship color. I like the NPD color, it looks right to me.

Media blasted and metal-prepped with DX-579...

engine_disassemble 002.jpg

Primed and painted...

engine_disassemble 004.jpg

I pulled a few more pieces off the parts car, the crusher won't get much but rust. I am amazed at how many parts this rusty hulk has provided.

The top is good, and the package tray area looks like new.

Pulled valve covers and readjusted valves. I have one cylinder that is not coming up to temp like the rest. correct firing order, plenty of fire, so has to be in the valves. Refired and is still not coming up.:mad: But if it sounds as healthy as it does on 7 cant wait till all 8 fire.

I pulled a few more pieces off the parts car, the crusher won't get much but rust. I am amazed at how many parts this rusty hulk has provided.

What all is left on the donor car?

Well i cheated and went the cheap route on some gauges,Since my idiot lights dont work i did a little trim work on center console ( will get factory gauge console one year ) it doesnt look to bad i guess :shrug2:
o5t4w2.jpg
33cn1ok.jpg

RPM, the fuel pump is the only part I have left to decide...several options out there. The Inject Your Horse article (web page) is a really good article. It's about Ford Broncos but the info still applies to our horses too. Is EFI still on the table for your car?
Hey Donstang. I finished the car with a standard set up and sold it to get the Mach I. Now THAT is injection. The 67 was a nice little car. I researched it... I think parts alone were running total of 1000.00 which I wasnt willing to spend. Everything I read and advice was "oh its an easy swap" yeah if you want to "INVEST" that much money should have been the following comment. The work itself...was not that big a deal in my opinion just be prepared for the checks ya gotta write before you begin the swap.:(

I think MY retrofit looks quite NICE .:D

What all is left on the donor car?
package tray area, back glass area, windshield pillars, top

that is it.

changed to a new coil, retuned carb, drove another 20 around town.

bought a used engine hoist yesterday. A Larin 2 ton hoist that has pneumatic pump to lift and manual lift, along with engine leveler for $120.00. The 302 is coming out this summer!

On another website I frequent this is by far the most popular thread there. I thought I would try it here.

Now guys we're not talking the daily driver or momma's car. Let's keep this specifically devoted to posts on our 71-73 Mustangs. Like usual no flaming, constructive opinions and commments please.

On another website I frequent this is by far the most popular thread there. I thought I would try it here.

Now guys we're not talking the daily driver or momma's car. Let's keep this specifically devoted to posts on our 71-73 Mustangs. Like usual no flaming, constructive opinions and commments please.
I'll get it started... Today NOTHING, Yesterday I drove it to work and cleaned up the charcoal cannister for repaint and reinstall. I took it off earlier this summer and have terrible fuel smells coming from the car. OOPS :D

imagejpeg_2_3.jpg

Drained the oil, drain the coolant, removed radiator, and fan. Doing the prep work and getting ready to pull the motor. Hopefully, this week I will get time to remove the trans fluid, remove headers, and remove power steering.

I'll get it started... Today NOTHING, Yesterday I drove it to work and cleaned up the charcoal cannister for repaint and reinstall. I took it off earlier this summer and have terrible fuel smells coming from the car. OOPS :D

Got all my parts in that i ordered. Sorted them out then went to sanding. Got the roof done and the driver side done.

Back