What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent some quality time cleaning parts and getting stuff ready for various projects. Finally spent the time to design a proper crank scraper for my 351C. Easy peasy when you have a small laser in the shop.

Got the driver side rear floor out. Gotta get everything cleaned up and trimmed up nicer and the new floor might get welded up tonight.
e75076d3dd0899c88b2dc36461ca44eb.jpg
2abcf4bd2a0a752f8dc12cfadc1a414c.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Well I drove my car away from the welders and got her home,    The welder has managed to break my new rear view camera knocking it of the mount and cracking the plastic body. :mad:

You be the Judge of what he has done. The new pan is slightly larger than the hole that was cut in the floor so there is approx 1/2 inch overlap.  He did not use any weld through primer. If you look at the back edge of the pan (on the rear seat curve) he has managed to put a hole through the original metal :mad:

Front crossmember now fitted  But not sure if its been welded correctly?

I will take more detailed pics of the Crossmember welding.

This is what I got for $565.00  :mad: :shootself:

Oh, he also managed to break the plastic front grille, I found the metal headlight ring on the drivers seat, he said it somehow fell off and I notice the plastic fittings are cracked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed new cam, crank, and 7 of the 8 pistons into the cleaned and bored out block. As I was about to install the cylinder 7 piston, I noticed that the connecting rod bearings chamfer was towards the center toward the other rod. The machine shop put the rod on the piston backwards. As I was installing all the others, I was specifically checking the all of the clearances and bearing specs and making sure that the rod bearing chamfers were correct. Going back to see them tomorrow, hopefully they are open.

Tom
Good catch for sure. Seems the professional F&%$ up way more than the amature. Professional race pit crew put head gaskets on backwards on my car.
Thanks David, I was disappointed when they told me they would be open on that Saturday, waited in the parking lot for an hour thinking maybe someone was just hungover, no one showed up. On Monday, I was there when they opened and was able to go into their shop and watch them correct the problem. It took about 10 minutes and is in a pretty crappy neighborhood area but at least it got done. Went home, installed it, checked the clearances, and continued on from there. When I have them do the hardened seat install on the heads, I will for sure be checking everything before I leave. 

Tom

Well I drove my car away from the welders and got her home,    The welder has managed to break my new rear view camera knocking it of the mount and cracking the plastic body. :mad:

You be the Judge of what he has done. The new pan is slightly larger than the hole that was cut in the floor so there is approx 1/2 inch overlap.  He did not use any weld through primer. If you look at the back edge of the pan (on the rear seat curve) he has managed to put a hole through the original metal :mad:

Front crossmember now fitted  But not sure if its been welded correctly?

I will take more detailed pics of the Crossmember welding.

This is what I got for $565.00  :mad: :shootself:

Oh, he also managed to break the plastic front grille, I found the metal headlight ring on the drivers seat, he said it somehow fell off and I notice the plastic fittings are cracked.
Was this a professional body shop????

This guy is self employed and works from Home, he has built Hot Rods and Oval circuit cars and performs alloy wheel repairs for local tire companies who send customers to him when they discover a cracked or damaged wheel. He was recommended to me by word of mouth from the mechanic that services my daily drive cars.

I don't know what it is with my country, but it seems anyone in the car repair business does nothing but bad work and every time I have been shafted!

On my Dodge Viper, I do EVERYTHING myself, I would not dare to leave that in a shop with english mechanics! So once again I ask around in good faith for a Quality welder in my area, and that was what I got! :mad:

So now I'm looking to buy myself a Welding kit.

Professional Body shop No, his place i more like a salvage breakers yard with lots of stripped out cars. But I was told his work WAS good!

That is some terrible welding, for sure. I could do a lot better than that. And that's not saying much.

You wuz robbed.

It's the difference between the expectations you set for yourself as an amateur, and those of someone who is supposed to be a "professional". We often find that the "pro" is lacking in the professional.

There are things I do leave to the pros, like drywall. Around here, you hire a French Canadian for that. They're done in two days and I can just whack on primer and paint. My wallet is lighter, but the job is done well and my sanity is intact.

Doesn't look like someone who does that professionally I agree.

For a comparison, here is the same floorpan I did in my car. Was the first time ever using a wire feed welder, first panel I did on the car (or any car for that matter) and being completely self taught......
7a814688e92509060f09bca68660fbf8.jpg

For a comparison, here is the same floorpan I did in my car. Was the first time ever using a wire feed welder, first panel I did on the car (or any car for that matter) and being completely self taught......

Nice work.

Installed new cam, crank, and 7 of the 8 pistons into the cleaned and bored out block. As I was about to install the cylinder 7 piston, I noticed that the connecting rod bearings chamfer was towards the center toward the other rod. The machine shop put the rod on the piston backwards. As I was installing all the others, I was specifically checking the all of the clearances and bearing specs and making sure that the rod bearing chamfers were correct. Going back to see them tomorrow, hopefully they are open.

Tom
Good catch for sure. Seems the professional F&%$ up way more than the amature. Professional race pit crew put head gaskets on backwards on my car.
Thanks David, I was disappointed when they told me they would be open on that Saturday, waited in the parking lot for an hour thinking maybe someone was just hungover, no one showed up. On Monday, I was there when they opened and was able to go into their shop and watch them correct the problem. It took about 10 minutes and is in a pretty crappy neighborhood area but at least it got done. Went home, installed it, checked the clearances, and continued on from there. When I have them do the hardened seat install on the heads, I will for sure be checking everything before I leave. 

Tom
Unless your valves are recessed into the head I would not do the seats. Just gives you more areas of a failure. If you use the Lucas gas additive it lubricates the valves like the lead use to. If you do have them installed and you see punch marks around the seat you will know they got them too loose. To do it correct they need to heat the head and cool the seats with liquid nitrogen to shrink fit them. Dry ice will work also.

You know... it's a pity we don't live just a few miles from each other on these forums ... we could work on each other's cars, bbqs, beer  ... much better than self professed experts out there.  ::beer::

Pulled out the A/C blower. There was a piece of foam stuck on it, so that was probably the source of vibration. I removed the wheel and soaked it in rust remover. Now it is clean and running smoothly.

After a short search around town for some weld through primer, got the driver rear floor welded in. Had a few oopsies on the first several welds, been about 5 years since I welded anything. Important part is that it is now a part of the car.

I'm going to tack around the outside like I did the passenger side hopefully tonight. Also, I'm using this SEM Copperweld weld through primer, man it looks so good I want to paint the whole floor with it.
c42ba86a880b7e9a26eb3ed7d526d796.jpg
2f1151048f3bb90e9bc85445fd61b44f.jpg

Played with my rear end today. New valance (Will have exhaust done later to fill the cutouts). Installed the spoiler which I had painted argent from black. New taillights ( I did not paint the insides black, like them like this), painted and reinstalled the honeycomb panel. Installed new bumper also.

Back