What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting on my new timing light to arrive, so did one of my planned side projects. Added a rear camera-rear view mirror. It can split screen front and back, or just do back, or just do front. Can be tied into reverse lights also. Can record HD video to the 132GB Micro SD Card. Has GPS based vehicle speed. A security feature that starts recording if the car is rocked or bumped also. I really like it. Was about $100 on Amazon if I remember right. I can get the info if anyone is interested.

Off

On

Wire down from headliner

Rear location. Went out the same hole as the license plate light. No drilling.

Last edited by a moderator:

1) Installed both Shoulder Harnesses

2) Ran electrical test on wipers.  Getting power when the switch is on, but the motor does not go.

3) Started on Stripes. (Harder than I imagined)  Got both Fender Mach 1 decals on, and the trunk Mach i decal and stripe.  Temperature dropped, had to stop.

kcmash

Last night touched up some paint spots and today spent day 9+ of aligning doors and windows. There is no way i can get all to align perfect so trying to compromise in the best looking as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2) Ran electrical test on wipers.  Getting power when the switch is on, but the motor does not go.

3) Started on Stripes. (Harder than I imagined)  Got both Fender Mach 1 decals on, and the trunk Mach i decal and stripe.  Temperature dropped, had to stop.

kcmash
kcmash, I've had the same issue with my windshield wiper motor and got it resolved by adding a ground wire to the motor housing. Just a thought! I've added the wire and you've got to look really hard to even notice it!

kcmash
kcmash, I've had the same issue with my windshield wiper motor and got it resolved by adding a ground wire to the motor housing. Just a thought! I've added the wire and you've got to look really hard to even notice it!
Thanks NOT A T5!  I have heard before that the ground may be a problem.  The wiper motor worked when I took the car apart.  I want o get it road worthy, and this is one of the few things left.  Can you PM me a shot of how you did your ground?  I tried loosening and re-fastening the ground on mine yesterday, but it did not help.

I wan't to find a good bench test for the motor too.  If I have to take it off I want to make sure it works!

kcmash

Well that sucks!  Anyone know how to remove the vinyl stripes?  Trunk stripe went on crooked.  My fault.

So I did a couple of things wrong,

1) I didn't add enough Dawn to my spray bottle for enough decal slip

2) I didn't align the trunk stripe the end cap stripes before applying the trunk stripe. Ended up wandering up higher on the drivers side of the deck lid.

3) I didn't watch the outside temperature or weather. So it got really windy and made it tough to keep the long trunk stripe wet enough to align.

So I ended up using a heat gun and patience to remove the trunk stripe. Need to order a replacement. Not sure if I should pay a bodyshop to apply from here, or see if I learned my lesson.

Kcmash

Smelled old-azz gear oil all day -   :barf:  Garage reeks  :barf:  On an up note, it's in great shape inside. The grease on the outside is like concrete, Trying to remove it slowly to preserve the original paint markings. 

kcmash
Thanks NOT A T5!  I have heard before that the ground may be a problem.  The wiper motor worked when I took the car apart.  I want o get it road worthy, and this is one of the few things left.  Can you PM me a shot of how you did your ground?  I tried loosening and re-fastening the ground on mine yesterday, but it did not help.

I wan't to find a good bench test for the motor too.  If I have to take it off I want to make sure it works!

kcmash
I took my wiper motor apart and cleaned all the dried up grease out of the gear box and put the Lucas Red N Tacky grease back in. I cleaned the ground strip that is under one of the mounting bolts.

Well that sucks!  Anyone know how to remove the vinyl stripes?  Trunk stripe went on crooked.  My fault.

2) I didn't align the trunk stripe the end cap stripes before applying the trunk stripe. Ended up wandering up higher on the drivers side of the deck lid.

3) I didn't watch the outside temperature or weather.  So it got really windy and made it tough to keep the long trunk stripe wet enough to align.

So I ended up using a heat gun and patience to remove the trunk stripe.  Need to order a replacement.  Not sure if I should pay a bodyshop to apply from here, or see if I learned my lesson.

Kcmash
If you just take your time and get them hung in place from the top edge of the backing material you can do it. I would not do outside just because of the wind. Once you get them hung with masking tape check and double check before you pull the backing. The soap solution is only way to ever move them if a dry surface and they touch they are stuck. Longer stripes you need a helper someone to peel the backing while you hold it. Think about putting a screaming chicken on a firebird hood.

3) I didn't watch the outside temperature or weather.  So it got really windy and made it tough to keep the long trunk stripe wet enough to align.

So I ended up using a heat gun and patience to remove the trunk stripe.  Need to order a replacement.  Not sure if I should pay a bodyshop to apply from here, or see if I learned my lesson.

Kcmash
If you just take your time and get them hung in place from the top edge of the backing material you can do it. I would not do outside just because of the wind. Once you get them hung with masking tape check and double check before you pull the backing. The soap solution is only way to ever move them if a dry surface and they touch they are stuck. Longer stripes you need a helper someone to peel the backing while you hold it. Think about putting a screaming chicken on a firebird hood.
I watched that video of the Firechicken install on youtube.  I thought this would be easier.

Where should I get my replacement stripes?  Since I screwed up this trunk stripe.  The Mach 1 Logos went nicely. Need to get replacement argent stripes for the Trunk and 1/4 caps.

I am really worried about a top end hang for the 90 degree decals.(Front of front fenders and 1/4 caps.  I think i have a better soap mix now.  I was outside for the sun and heat to help.  I have learned my lesson now.  Next attempt (if I do it) will be in the center garage bay with a full day to hang and double check.  May have a challenge finding reliable help.

Videos on line tape the long stripes with a hinge on the lower edge  for the long stripes.  that way gravity works for you as you peel the backing.  Your thoughts on that?

>> 2) Ran electrical test on wipers. Getting power when the switch is on, but the motor does not go.

I pulled my wiper motor so I could paint behind it. When I reinstalled it, it wouldn't work. It was getting power but wouldn't go.

Turns out the motor grounds to the cowl and the paint was blocking the ground. I scraped the paint off the area where the wiper motor

bolts to the cowl and problem solved.

Mike

Also mounted the horns.  Had to make it work with the room I have due to hoses and fuel pressure regulator.
Pretty sure I'll be mounting a similar FP regulator this week. Was wondering where I might put it. You post is very timely. Thanks! I also thought about relocating the horns and moving them forward to the large open area ahead of the radiator, and getting them out of the actual engine bay entirely, but haven't looked into that deeply enough. Just an initial thought.

Also mounted the horns.  Had to make it work with the room I have due to hoses and fuel pressure regulator.
Pretty sure I'll be mounting a similar FP regulator this week. Was wondering where I might put it. You post is very timely. Thanks! I also thought about relocating the horns and moving them forward to the large open area ahead of the radiator, and getting them out of the actual engine bay entirely, but haven't looked into that deeply enough. Just an initial thought.
  Good idea.  There is actually enough room in the headlight boxes if needed.  Out of the way there.  Have to bend the mounting bracket.  I was considering it but was able to make things work out.  

Any luck on your oil leak?

Good idea.  There is actually enough room in the headlight boxes if needed.  Out of the way there.  Have to bend the mounting bracket.  I was considering it but was able to make things work out.  

Any luck on your oil leak?
No. But only because I have not fussed with it. When I get a few more parts in that I'm waiting on, I'll take a look. Probably nothing major. I'll report back and close out that thread when I get it resolved. 

I ended up relocating the high horn up front. Was super easy. All I did was grind off the little tab and used one of the existing bolts that was already there. Where the FP regulator went, I just used the existing bolt from the horn as it was already tapped and I didn't want to misplace that bolt. So all I had to was add one more hole. Turned out well. 

I ended up relocating the high horn up front. Was super easy. All I did was grind off the little tab and used one of the existing bolts that was already there. Where the FP regulator went, I just used the existing bolt from the horn as it was already tapped and I didn't want to misplace that bolt. So all I had to was add one more hole. Turned out well. 

Looks good.  Glad the move worked out ok for you.  I might consider moving one of mine again.

Back