What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Started the 429 vert for the first time (after a 4 1/2 month slumber) this year and moved it to the next door neighbour’s driveway. She started right up, well, when the fuel pump got gas to the carb... I always pour a little in the carb to help expedite the starting process... I had to move her so that I could remove the scissor hoist underneath the car as I am in the process of moving to the new house. Hope to get the car to it’s first show this year...
Ken, yesterday, I was sorting out all my old Mustang Monthly magazines as most are going to recycling. I found the one with your car on the cover. Unfortunately, they stuck the address label right over the middle of it. No way to remove it, but it's one of the few I'm keeping. I'm sure you have a copy too. (At least, I'm 99% sure this was the one)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope to get the car to it’s first show this year...
Yeah, if there are shows this year! Trump talked in weeks to re open country last nite I saw, here we talk in months scale before considering think about gatherings...

Hope you will, it's a gorgeous car.
 Well, I am booked for my first MCA show in Buffalo, later July... We’ll see if I can criss the border to attend. There are couple here in Canada I might look at as well, again, depending on the outcome. Thx.

Before I start it the engine for the first time after the winter break I am doing some engine bay work. I really want to start the engine up and run it without mufflers to wake and cheer the neighborhood up.

• I had mistakenly used 5W-30 oil so I drained 3 quarters and added 10W-30. I don't feel it would be much of a deal since the "W" viscosity comes into play only when it is cold.
  • Removed the mystery spacer between the water pump and fan clutch, but realized that I need some kind of spacer because so the blades don't smash against the A/C compressor. I figured that a 1/2" spacer would be safe. The previous spacer was 1 1/4", so that means that the fan would be 3/4" further back in the shroud which in theory should be a tad more efficient. Right now the top of the fan is about 1/8" sticking out while the bottom is 3/4" inside the shroud. With the new spacer the top would be at about half a blade out, and the bottom would be at the edge.
  • Replaced the steering pump pulley with a smaller one to help the pump rotate faster with the hope of fixing the lack of assist in idle. I have an Saginaw pump that I custom added a couple of years ago and I may have picked too large of a pulley.

Picked up my car from the shop today. Break work, replace fender apron at battery area. Rust repair around the tail lights, new Magnum 500s and tires and a few other things. Now I tear into the interior.

Installed new cam, crank, and 7 of the 8 pistons into the cleaned and bored out block. As I was about to install the cylinder 7 piston, I noticed that the connecting rod bearings chamfer was towards the center toward the other rod. The machine shop put the rod on the piston backwards. As I was installing all the others, I was specifically checking the all of the clearances and bearing specs and making sure that the rod bearing chamfers were correct. Going back to see them tomorrow, hopefully they are open.

Tom

I went for the first drive of the year. I was testing a lot of stuff that I have done this winter: rear brake upgrades, oil and water pressure plumbing, fuel pressure gauge, smaller steering pump pulley, etc. The fuel pressure gauge resulted to be junk and started leaking fuel through the silicone oil filler hole. I bought a Summit branded one. Extremely disappointed. I ended up plugging the hole while I get another one, but not Summit.

4dc3f0096a8cd3ea7d23e4254df34336.jpg

Notching my shock towers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night pushed the car out of its little one bay garage it's been in and started to empty all the parts out of the interior (I had basically the entire car stuffed inside, the fenders, all the trim, everything) started taking inventory of what I have and don't have, as a lot some has been lost in the last 7 years since I took it all apart. Making lists of what I need, what I am going to sell off, etc.

Today I got some cut off wheels and other tools to start on some more rust repair. Gonna work on getting the bottom of the cowl out and cleaned up for a whole new cowl.

Ordered some small parts to help the project along. Needed door hinge bolts.

Today I gotta finish taking inventory and hang up all the parts I don't need right now, somehow in this tiny garage.

Last night pushed the car out of its little one bay garage it's been in and started to empty all the parts out of the interior (I had basically the entire car stuffed inside, the fenders, all the trim, everything) started taking inventory of what I have and don't have, as a lot some has been lost in the last 7 years since I took it all apart. Making lists of what I need, what I am going to sell off, etc.

Today I got some cut off wheels and other tools to start on some more rust repair. Gonna work on getting the bottom of the cowl out and cleaned up for a whole new cowl.

Ordered some small parts to help the project along. Needed door hinge bolts.

Today I gotta finish taking inventory and hang up all the parts I don't need right now, somehow in this tiny garage.
Please keep  us posted on how you get on with the cowl work  ::thumb::

Put new rubber tips on the end of the visors!

Whew!

Oh, I also fired up insurance.  Hagerty coverage for $40k.  How much coverage do you guys have and with who?

kcmash

Was able to fit the car back into the garage last night with room to barely walk all the way around it. So I have my car completely dissembled and hung on the walls of a tiny one car garage. Fenders are on the roof of the car lol. When I get the seats out from behind the car I can move it back like 14 inches and be able to set the fenders on the front end and still clear the garage door.

Today hopefully I'll get some time to cut the rear floor board out of the car and prep everything to be welded.
51051c7e864bbc3f3d62f02c8f70d2a3.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Installed new cam, crank, and 7 of the 8 pistons into the cleaned and bored out block. As I was about to install the cylinder 7 piston, I noticed that the connecting rod bearings chamfer was towards the center toward the other rod. The machine shop put the rod on the piston backwards. As I was installing all the others, I was specifically checking the all of the clearances and bearing specs and making sure that the rod bearing chamfers were correct. Going back to see them tomorrow, hopefully they are open.

Tom
Good catch for sure. Seems the professional F&%$ up way more than the amature. Professional race pit crew put head gaskets on backwards on my car.

Was able to fit the car back into the garage last night with room to barely walk all the way around it. So I have my car completely dissembled and hung on the walls of a tiny one car garage. Fenders are on the roof of the car lol. When I get the seats out from behind the car I can move it back like 14 inches and be able to set the fenders on the front end and still clear the garage door.

Today hopefully I'll get some time to cut the rear floor board out of the car and prep everything to be welded.
51051c7e864bbc3f3d62f02c8f70d2a3.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
You might want to put some sheets of cardboard on the roof to spread out the weight of the fenders... you don't want to dent the roof, if you do it is a pain to fix. I put a hood up there once ... won't do that again

You can hang the fenders from the ceiling with chains for long term storage

Back