What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished trimming the firewall, and drilled out and dressed the original floor supports. I bought new floor supports, but I don't like the way they look, or fit. They actually fit over the top of the originals!.I decided to use the originals, as they were in good shape. Just very labor intensive drilling all the weld out to save them.

Time to take a break from the 71 for now. I'm heading to Cocoa Beach to start the Hot Rod Power Tour this weekend. Prepping the 68 Shelby this afternoon, I'm hoping to go all the way to Detroit.
Where did you get the floor supports from ? I bought a set quite a few years ago & they match the old ones perfect ( I think I got em from npd) Maybe you got a set that were mislabeled for another year ?

Now that you mention it, the one I received from OMS for the driver side is identical to the one he posted pictures of. And actually, the 'inside' of the frame rail extension fits perfectly 'over' or 'outside' of the stock frame rail. I took that to mean that maybe the intent was to more easily add the new piece onto an existing frame rail 'stub' (like what I had). I had to trim it a little to fit it onto the 'stub' of what was left of my driver-side rail, but it was easy enough to do without having to use any sleeves or similar structural-enhancing techniques.

I would've preferred to have the direct replacement piece, but honestly - I'm not building a 100-point show car, so I could kinda care less that the driver side frame rail extension doesn't quite match the original one on the passenger side. As long as it does the job structurally - I'm good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to put a new radiator in. Sadly it ate a bit in to my tire funds. Oh well, next week ill get my new tires!

Finally Drove it to the parts house I once used to show him the car he never got the right parts for. His comment was "no wonder I couldn't get you parts right the 1st-2nd-3rd time, It's a REAL MUSTANG." My response was, " Yes Stupid idiot "72 Match1 was always a REAL MUSTANG."

Alan L

I was removing the last bits of torque boxes that I left from cutting them off, and the sheet metal they were welded to kinda just gave up. So, whipped out the mini Sawz-All and hacked it all out. The parts of my firewall I need to patch are a little bigger now, but it's still doable. Also, the kick panels will need a couple of flat-stock patches just about where they mate up to the rockers and below the 'complicated/bendy' parts. No worries yet, though.

Also got the last pieces of frame rails removed from the tranny cross-member (and took measurements, just to see - and the new front end is right-on. Gonna be a little tight where the torque boxes fit into the rockers, but I think I can probably squeeze it in (only a half-inch difference between the inside surface of the rockers on the car, and the matching flanges on the 'new' front clip's torque boxes).

Tomorrow: cleaning, smoothing, Rust Bullet-ing, and otherwise getting the car ready to receive the front clip. I should be sliding it up under there next weekend, latest. I'll have some pics tomorrow.

I finally fixed the exhaust on my car. I've been afraid to touch it since I bought the car because it was so rotted, and I didn't want to snap bolts off in the head. It got so bad that I couldn't put it off, so I took off the stock manifolds, replaced all the hardware with stainless (waiting to see how that works out), got new gaskets, had the manifolds blasted and put them on. Yesterday I welded up the exhaust pipes (clamps don't quite do the trick). Today my father and I put them on, finished up the paint on my valve covers and put them on with new gaskets and stainless bolts. The old vc gaskets disintegrated when we pulled them off. Went to start the car up, heard the fuel pump prime when I turned the key, it cranked but I wasn't getting fuel. Plugged in the laptop and noticed that I didn't have an RPM signal; with megasquirt no RPM = no fuel. Found that I had pulled the tach wire out of the relay board and fixed it. The car started right up and was quieter than I have ever heard it.. it sounds like a stock mustang even with flowmasters lol. I am waiting for the paint to dry on my home made shock tower braces, so hopefully I will get to see if its any faster tommorow. Maybe I'll take a video :cool: lol

Here's a crappy cell phone pic with the new valve covers and 85% neatened up wiring.

254558_10150271833201995_610141994_9189173_3615037_n.jpg

PS.. I got the bends to make my turbo headers:

My buddy said he'd make the flanges for me, so I am starting on the CNC program.

254194_10150270494176995_610141994_9175221_6646372_n.jpg

Finally got the shift rod mess fixed with some cutting and welding. All measurements for the new hydraulic set up done. Need to have the hydraulic line shortened, not required but my choice for looks. Installed the new slotted rotors on the front. New u joints installed.

rods.jpeg

throw out.jpeg

rotor.jpeg

rotor1.jpeg

I started it and listened for a few minutes then got depressed that I can't drive it! Then I shut it off and thought that I was lucky to have it, Life is good!

I got to take mine out for her first two shows! Yesterday at a D.A.R.E. show in Columbia, Mo. and then today to the Centralia Anchor Fest (they used to foundry ship anchors in the recesses of time...). In addition, my son drove my 06 today and got to have his first chance to clean and prep for a real judged show...

We didn't win but sure had a great time! It is so hard to get a 16yr old to have any interest in anything other than XBox and texting on the phone... It is my hope this might spark a new Pony driver someday... I admit it was not easy seeing a 3 month experienced driver in my 06 GT... :D

DARE 01.jpg

IMG01650-20110605-0919a.jpg

Did some tuning on the advance, fixed my popping on decel problem by retarding the timing in that region on the advance table. I did say I'd take a video:

[video=youtube]

replaced the Poly bushings on my sway bar with rubber bushings.

Finished cleaning up the rocker panels where the torque boxes mate-up. I think I'm almost ready to slide the new front clip up in there. Once it's in, I'll patch up the bad spots in the firewall and work on replacing the floor pans.

Here's the front with the rockers cleaned up:

254496_226807060663553_100000027814872_941539_6949879_n.jpg

Passenger side rocker/torque box area:

252586_226807083996884_100000027814872_941540_4770189_n.jpg

Drive side rocker/torque box area:

254881_226807100663549_100000027814872_941541_1414536_n.jpg

So far, so good. Gonna hafta stretch the space between 'em about a half inch to get the new piece in there, but otherwise, everything seems to be fairly well lined up.

Intalled the heat riser shroud and tube about an hour ago and then after installing it, thought wouldn't this bring heat to the aluminum Edelbrock carb and cause vapor lock? :s Already installed and will test drive when I get the chance. :)

Parts used:

Dorman Preheater Hose #96024 2" (5,08cm) ID x 18" (45,72cm) Long

VHT Flame Proof Flat Black Paint. Only cause I could not find the black hose locally :( Still beats the $80 OEM stuff and looks pretty damn good in my opinion.

2 x 2.5" clamps

znlro2.jpg

10oo6xl.jpg

Painted Flat Black to look like it did back in the 70's

a1pf9w.jpg

Installed and gives it that complete look. Will do the canister vapor tube next, but again, having a hard time finding the 3/4-7/8" hose locally. I'll find it eventually, so that'll be installed soon.

2h2ozmv.jpg

got my wires, plugs, rotor, condenser,and points today, got everything in except for the plugs and wires. Didnt know i needed silicone lube for my wires :( oh well tomorow will be a big day! New wheels, tires, power steering, and maybe some good stuff at pick n pull!!!

drove it even though i need new valve stem seals, Ah Air conditioning is a must i recommend fixing your old A/C if you have one and its not working. its 98 outside today.

Back