What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
discovered another one of my BLOOPERS today and have to rewire my choke and install a idle stop solenoid because of my air conditioner.

Ordered a new set of mid-length headers to replace the long tubes that were borked by the local "Performance" shop. They were trying to bend them and gain clearance around the 4R70W's shift linkage. LT's and wide trannys dont go together.

This evening is install modded shifter, and modded Power Steering Pump mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Threw in the towel and hauled the block and a bunch of parts to the machine shop so they can install the cam bearings and whatever else $500 will get me - hopefully they'll do a whole short block job for me, but if not, at least they should get the bottom end done (crank, main bearings, pistons and rods, cam, etc.). When they're done, it's all up to me from then on.

Threw in the towel and hauled the block and a bunch of parts to the machine shop so they can install the cam bearings and whatever else $500 will get me - hopefully they'll do a whole short block job for me, but if not, at least they should get the bottom end done (crank, main bearings, pistons and rods, cam, etc.). When they're done, it's all up to me from then on.
Heyy! What about your engine bay prep and paint?

Dont give up on that that is a very easy Job, cheap and trully useful! :)

Oh, I'm still doing the engine bay and everything else. I just bailed on doing all of the engine rebuild myself. That way, I'll have time to work on the engine bay and all the rest. Thanks for the encouragement, Damian! :)

Doc

And don't forget to put those hubcaps on, either! ;) :D
You know that, Eric!! Without the stress of work and doing the whole engine rebuild by myself, I can actually think about some of the COOL things to do that are part of a RestoMod project. :) More pics and updates to come.......

Doc

I brought home the 71 M-code. :D

IMG01000-20110607-1647-1.jpg

Power Tour was cool even though we drove through a ton of rain. Today I took the car to a local Mustang and Ford show. I left the road grime on the car as a badge of honor from the Power Tour. The ol' girl won a trophy... LOL the first time I did not clean my car before a show and I go home with my First trophy! I was 3rd out of 3 cars in my class, 2 coupes and my grimy convertible. :D

I did some carb tuning yesterday and today, made some progress getting rid of the part throttle miss/stumble. We replaced the power valve in Detroit and that cleaned up the idle and part throttle cruise a bunch. I dropped the jetting today after the show, it made maybe a little difference. I'm going to take more jet out tomorrow.

Got the 'new' front clip slid into place today.

260028_228328680511391_100000027814872_952140_6655547_n.jpg

249562_228328707178055_100000027814872_952141_5618878_n.jpg

255193_228328730511386_100000027814872_952143_1971361_n.jpg

Just gotta measure, measure, measure... and weld that sucker in-place tomorrow! So far, so good!

Thanks for the support guys - really... it means a lot. This is one of the most stressful things I've ever done... but it worked out (thanks in large to Scott and the other advice I've received from you fine folks here on this site).

It's in! Finally!! I got the torque boxes nailed down after measuring, measuring, then some slight tweaking, more measuring and another set of measurements, and walking away for a few minutes. Then one more set of measurements and I fired up the welder.

After the front and bottom of the torque boxes were secure, I tacked the fender aprons to the firewall, then moved to the inside to secure the 'tops' of the torque boxes (since my floor is now pretty much open in the areas around the frame rail extensions). I plug-welded all the holes from the spot-weld remover, then ran a bead along the edge for a good measure. I think I'm going to 'cap' the pinch welds as well, just for a little piece of mind by folding a strip of sheet metal around the pinch welds (making a sandwich) and run a bead along those edges as well. I'm not totally convinced my edge welds and several plug welds are going to be enough - they probably will, but I'd rather be safe than sorry in this case.

I still need to patch the kick panels and lower firewall (around the torque boxes), which will help, and also still need to weld the transmission cross-member to the frame rail extensions, but that will be for next weekend.

The big bummer is that O'Reilly Auto Parts didn't have the lower control arm cam-bolts I needed (back-ordered), so I'll look into getting the front suspension on next weekend after some finish-up work with the welder.

This is so cool! I think it's going to be OK!! Oh yeah - the pics would've pretty much looked exactly the same as yesterday's, so I got no new pics.

Discovered my A/C vacuum canister does in fact have a blown check valve inside it.

:LOL

Thanks for the support guys - really... it means a lot. This is one of the most stressful things I've ever done... but it worked out (thanks in large to Scott and the other advice I've received from you fine folks here on this site).

It's in! Finally!! I got the torque boxes nailed down after measuring, measuring, then some slight tweaking, more measuring and another set of measurements, and walking away for a few minutes. Then one more set of measurements and I fired up the welder.

After the front and bottom of the torque boxes were secure, I tacked the fender aprons to the firewall, then moved to the inside to secure the 'tops' of the torque boxes (since my floor is now pretty much open in the areas around the frame rail extensions). I plug-welded all the holes from the spot-weld remover, then ran a bead along the edge for a good measure. I think I'm going to 'cap' the pinch welds as well, just for a little piece of mind by folding a strip of sheet metal around the pinch welds (making a sandwich) and run a bead along those edges as well. I'm not totally convinced my edge welds and several plug welds are going to be enough - they probably will, but I'd rather be safe than sorry in this case.

I still need to patch the kick panels and lower firewall (around the torque boxes), which will help, and also still need to weld the transmission cross-member to the frame rail extensions, but that will be for next weekend.

The big bummer is that O'Reilly Auto Parts didn't have the lower control arm cam-bolts I needed (back-ordered), so I'll look into getting the front suspension on next weekend after some finish-up work with the welder.

This is so cool! I think it's going to be OK!! Oh yeah - the pics would've pretty much looked exactly the same as yesterday's, so I got no new pics.

[/quote Rite on Eric your on your way very cool. Mike

I rejetted the carb a little leaner.. well a bunch leaner, went from 65 to 62 primary jets leaving the secondaries at 76. I'm still chasing a burble and the idle mixture screws don't seem to be working properly. I'm going to try a primary metering block from a 600 cfm Holley. The car pulls real good but has a "burble" at idle and part (low) throttle cruise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back