What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replaced A/C vacuum canister with a working original from another 72 today.

Went for a 30 mile drive kicking it to the oldies and cold air conditioning.

A/c no longer cuts out when I pound on the throttle.

Also the blown canister I had was causing a small vacuum leak since the check valve was blown away.

I exchanged the primary metering plate with the 600 plate. It made a real difference. The engine would not run with the #64 Jet, increased to a #67 and finally got response from the idle mixture screws. The response seems better and light throttle cruise is much better. The car is MUCH more drivable.

if your idle mixture screws are not responsive Double check the butterfly on the secondaries, if the secondaries are open too far compared to the primary it can make the idle bleed screws appear to not work.

you want to try and balance the butterfly opening on both the primary and secondary and make sure the transition slot isn't exposed on either it can make a real difference not only in the idle bleed screws but in the vacuum the engine makes at idle.

I balanced my 750 DP, and gained 3" HG of Vacuum at idle over just tuning the idle bleeds in gear.

this is easier with a 2 corner over a 4 corner idle bleed screw model

I finished trimming the firewall, and drilled out and dressed the original floor supports. I bought new floor supports, but I don't like the way they look, or fit. They actually fit over the top of the originals!.I decided to use the originals, as they were in good shape. Just very labor intensive drilling all the weld out to save them.

Time to take a break from the 71 for now. I'm heading to Cocoa Beach to start the Hot Rod Power Tour this weekend. Prepping the 68 Shelby this afternoon, I'm hoping to go all the way to Detroit.
Where did you get the floor supports from ? I bought a set quite a few years ago & they match the old ones perfect ( I think I got em from npd) Maybe you got a set that were mislabeled for another year ?
I bought one from CJ Pony, and one from Mustangs Unlimited. They look to be manufactured by the same supplier. If a person cut their old units and left a stub of the old one sticking out of the torque box, these could be cut and lapped, or sleeved over the stock stub.

I favor using factory seams whenever possible. Installing these complete would be a problem where they pass through the torque box, as they are a quarter inch wider.

I finally got mine in from Texas! So far the only thing I have been able to do to it is park it in the driveway and snap some pictures, but, that's something! ;)

Oh, man, guys......

I'm gonna open a new thread for what happened to me today!

It was one of these "D'OH.! moments".....!

I put my restored carburetor from Pony Carbs back on my Sprint! I put it on, fired her, up made a quick idle adjustment and it runs flawlessly! ZERO hesitation or flat spots now when I accelerate! 10 out of 10 for Pony Carbs! I finally got her back on the road :D

I started it and it fired right up on the first crank without pump the gas pedal. A small feat considering it has been sitting for a few weeks. Afterwards I pondered about some interior parts. Not a really productive day for the mustang.

Put in new passenger side upper control arm, ball joint and spring seat. Did a bit of future planning by grinding out the control arm ball joint rivits and replacing them with bolts, so next time I need to change my upper ball joints it will be hassle free.

Also while I was in there I sliced half a coil off the spring hoping for about a 3/4" drop. When I put the car back on the ground the ride height was exactly the same as it was before the spring cut.....what the???? :huh: Before I start hacking more off the spring I'll do the other side of the car first, because I suspect the untouched higher spring on the drivers side is having an effect on the cut spring height on the passenger side. I know I should be buying heavy duty lowering springs instead of cutting, but never had any luck with this in the past as it is pot luck whether you get the right height you were looking for with a new pair of springs anyway......

Went to car show, car stalled out in heavy traffic with a/c, funny since it wasn't overheating but the tempature gauge was rising.

When I got home, I switched the vacuum advance from ported to full manifold vacuum, I noted the engine made more vacuum then before at idle.

Went for a drive no difference in throttle response, I didn't find heavy traffic like this morning so could not recreate the situation again where the car stalled out at idle.

I need to readjust the idle bleeds now because out of gear I'm idling around 1300rpms

Changed the vacuum advance module on the distributor. What a nightmare to diagnose :( A few days ago the car started running like the timing chain had jumped a cog. Backfire, hesitation etc. Finally nailed a bad vacuum device on the distributor. Albeit took three days but the car is a daily driver. If I advanced the timing to 20, the car was drivable for a short distance. The vacuum advance was screwed up. The car has a dual vacuum system making it harder. I consider the experience a win :D

mike

Just retuned car with full manifold vac left car idling in gear out in traffic for 20 minutes, temp gauge read just shy of half car didn't konk out again.

Have a feeling my tach is going.

Removed front drivers side tire, removed old shock absorber, then scraped, cleaned, laquer thinnered wheel well, put on a coat of rust bullet black shell. Let dry then installed new drivers front shock, and cleaned up garage.

My back has been bothering me of late...sucks getting old... plan to change passernger side tomorrow.

One thing about that Rust Bullet, seems to get on everything. At least I had gloves for my hands...I need to find some tyvex sleeves as I seem to get that darn paint all over my arms somehow...LOL

I finally got mine in from Texas! So far the only thing I have been able to do to it is park it in the driveway and snap some pictures, but, that's something! ;)
So... Post them already.... We wanna see it! :D
Here you go!

The moment of arrival.

DSCN1525.jpg

Perfect opportunity to see the solid floorpans! This was a DSO 71 (Los Angeles) car that spent some time in MI and TX.

DSCN1528.jpg

Jake wanted to be the first to touch it!

DSCN1529.jpg

Watch out, no brakes!

DSCN1531.jpg

First look at the interior.

DSCN1532.jpg

The M-code 351

DSCN1534.jpg

We have a winner!

DSCN1541.jpg

DSCN1536.jpg

A ways to go but we have a good car to start with!

DSCN1539.jpg

Yesterday we moved it in to the garage and made room for the Firebird.

Mac

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like my a/c compressor is locking up when its hot, i managed to totally stall the engine while going about 10mph.

i had the car idling in the driveway for an hour, with the a/c on, after a while i noticed the A/C clutch was clicking on and off hard, but the car seemed fine and the a/c was cold, went for a 20 minute drive, car cooled down, gave no indication, and BAM engine stalled after making a turn, Smoke and grinding noise. i thought the car threw a belt.

i opened the hood everything was ok, got back in the car turned off the A/C switch and restarted the car.

car fired right up, drove the car another 20 minutes with a/c off and went on another 30 minute trip later on with the a/c off and did not have the problem again.

I thought my tach was dying but i think its the A/C compressor locking up from time to time, both times the engine stalled the A/C was on.

Mac congrats on the purchase! The 5.0 cleaner lid threw me off for a second lol.. I could have sworn they were cleveland covers

I am in the process of making a gauge pod out fiberglass. I took two spray paint lids and pretty much taped them to my existing pillar to make the shape of the pods. I built up tape to get the shape close to how I wanted it, then covered everything in aluminum foil. Then I hit it with a coat of gelcoat (I have a gallon of it) and a layer of fiberglass. I am trimming it to fit and sanding it down today, and I need to wait until tommorow after work to lay down more fiberglass.. I ran out of disposable paint brushes :(

251003_10150286072376995_610141994_9345038_6221667_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back