What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric..Some advice on the new taillight panel. Check the fit of your taillights in the opening of the repro panel . I have seen many new repros that the lights didn't fit properly..You will see what I mean if you put them in your original first. If thats the case you'd be better off to leave your original on the car & section in what you need using the repro as a donor.
And some damn excellent advice once again, Sir! Thank you - I will definitely make sure to check that out.

Nice job Eric . The battery apron look great. Mike
Thanks, Mike - believe it or not, you were a great inspiration (along with Scott) in going that route.

Today, I bolted down my 'other' Christmas present: the Edelbrock 2705 Dual-Plane Performer intake. Also adjusted the roller rockers and installed the valve covers [for real, this time]. Also picked up a Mr. Gasket ported breather and an Edelbrock breather from the 'bling' section at O'Reilly Auto Parts today. The Edelbrock breather will pull double-duty as my '710' cap.

396844_335223713155220_100000027814872_1298799_2092934735_n.jpg

My pal Jim noticed I didn't have a fan yet, and generously gave me the cardboard cut-out from the box the flex fan for his 1963 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL came in. I dunno Man - but I think the 'blade pitch' might not be aggressive enough.

379473_335223733155218_100000027814872_1298800_1232900379_n.jpg

I also managed to remove most of what was left of the trunk pan and 'Redneck Gas Tank Hammock', but the batteries in the camera gave up before I got pics of that. I'll re-stage the wonderous device back into place for a photo op tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the front end sanding completed up to the dash and tranny support today. Bill the welder came by and I showed him the rear frame rails we need to weld in that I got from my kids. We're not too far from lift off!!

OK - lots of fun today.

First, my pal Jim felt bad about the fan joke he played on me yesterday (OK, he really didn't feel THAT bad...), and hooked me up with the fan & fan clutch from his 1963 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL - he just bought a flex fan to solve his radiator clearance issues. He also gave me the Holley "Black" electric fuel pump as an early birthday present (on top of the intake).

407480_335871873090404_100000027814872_1301285_1521168008_n.jpg

Then, as promised (with new batteries in the ol' camera), here's the Redneck Gas Tank Hammock, in all its glory (after removing the 'loose' stuff in the trunk). Yee-Hah, Y'all! LOL!

394329_335871973090394_100000027814872_1301290_1446989224_n.jpg

I took a trip the the junk yard to retrieve my rear corners and cowl from the '72 donor car. That's the nice thing about the exclusiveness of our cars - it's been over a year since I got the front clip, and I'm still the only one around that's been snagging parts from it. They cut mid A-pillars and the rockers just behind the door opening for me. Holy Cow - I now have the entire firewall as well. SWEET! I'll get a couple pics of that tomorrow.

Here's another shot of my passenger side damage.

404729_335871923090399_100000027814872_1301287_1185929464_n.jpg

And here's one of the 'new' pieces to replace it (got both sides). The yard dawgs cut it too short for a complete patch of the weatherstripping channel, but the driver side is just fine, so I'll use the other piece to graft in what I need. No worries... it's all good.

407694_335871946423730_100000027814872_1301289_1106498047_n.jpg

After getting back from the junk yard with my new pieces, I was inspired and took a big swing at the rest of the nastiness in the trunk. Here's what I came up with.

379150_335871996423725_100000027814872_1301291_1599254774_n.jpg

I hit it with extreme prejudice with the air chisel and carefully ripped it all apart. If I'd used the spot-weld removal bit, I'd still be there. The couple of 'oops' moments I had are repairable and went right back into shape with a couple shots from the BFH.

Looks like the insides of the frame rails are in really good shape, actually. But tomorrow I'm going to cut out the last few tiny bits of old metal, spot weld shrapnel, and seam sealer I didn't get to, and clean the crap out of the frame rails and wheel houses. Then, a nice slathering of Rust Bullet and I should be ready to drop in the new sheet metal maybe Sunday. I'll first probably do something with those shot-out old air shocks since I can get to both sides of the mounts without the trunk pan in the way.

All-in-All... a Good Day!

That is a ton of work Eric! Wow! I'm in awe!
Thanks, Man! It's taken me a little longer to get that trunk to the shape it is now because I've spent a lot of time staring and disassembling in my head. That, and I'm still learning all this stuff as I go, with the help of all the great advice I keep getting from everybody here.

He also gave me the Holley "Black" electric fuel pump as an early birthday present (on top of the intake).
Nice work! It's not staying there though, is it? It will burn out real quick if thats where it's going to be mounted.

Nice job! ::goodjob:: As soon as I get my floor back in the full trunk is next so keep sending those pictures!
You got it!

He also gave me the Holley "Black" electric fuel pump as an early birthday present (on top of the intake).
Nice work! It's not staying there though, is it? It will burn out real quick if thats where it's going to be mounted.
Nah - it'll go on the left rear frame rail somewhere lower than the sending unit from the gas tank. I just propped it up there for a photo op. Jim actually eyeballed the block-off plate on the stock engine location to see if the holes lined up - he cracks me up.

Nice fan Eric! Looks like a good future white elephant gift to me. Lol
Careful what'cha wish for! ;) :D

Spent the day getting the undercoating off from underneath the floor. Then repositioned support to the rear frame so I could remove the rear end of leaf springs to get ready for frame rail replacements.

DSCN1362.JPGDSCN1363.JPG

Put the carb on...took it off...put it back on...went to the local parts house...got home...drilled and tapped two broken bolts...cursed out loud and went back to the parts house...busted my knuckles a few times...went and made a drink.

You know, we must be gluttons for punishment. Sadomasochistic or something.

Unpacked a box from Don.

A complete wire harness from the headlights to the tail lights for a

1971 Mach 1. My car is a Mach 1 wearing a Grande suit so it is a

perfect fit. The harness came from the same car that supplied my new engine. Needs a little work, but it is a complete 3D blueprint

of the car's original harness. Awesome.

mike

HPIM3001.JPG

Spent the day getting the undercoating off from underneath the floor. Then repositioned support to the rear frame so I could remove the rear end of leaf springs to get ready for frame rail replacements.
Mark, where oh where did you get that spiffy new trunk brace? If I can score a new one for myself, I think I would just hold off until it shows up before ripping out the tail light panel. Mine's OK, but it's going to take a lot of cleaning and being careful while removing other stuff to continue using it.

I spent the day grinding spot weld shrapnel and stripping 40 year old seam sealer, undercoating, caked mud, and whatever else was left of the rear end of mine. My snot is dark gray, and the Q-tips came out rust-colored after I recently got out of the shower.

I also discovered that the Redneck Engineering (henceforth referred to as "R.E.") didn't stop with the Gas Tank Hammock... or just the one 12-pack, either. It seems our heroes (the previous owners) decided to install some air shocks when they bashed the stockers through the upper shock mounts in the cross-member. There's literally nothing left of the original mounting points - just jagged holes now. Apparently, they saw fit to use more flat stock and angle, with judicious application of the torch (no actually 'drilling' of holes or anything - just blow through 'til the hole's are big enough), and we have air shocks mounted. If you look closely at the tops of the air shocks, you'll see the pieces of flat stock they braced against the blown out original mounting points. They also used shock extender studs to get through to the trapezoid-shaped angle-stock brackets on top of the cross-member. Notice the passenger side is off-center - that's because the shock extender was bent all to Hell when they installed it (or maybe later when they got back to trying to out-do the Duke Boys). Regardless, everything they came up with just 'floats' in there - nothing is nailed down (which explains why when the shock extender got bent, the R.E. top-mount just slid over a little bit).

So tomorrow, I'm going to fabricate a new mounting system which will probably consist of more flat stock. I'm thinking one piece straight across, bent into the correct contours of the lower portion of the cross-member with the correct diameter holes drilled through in the right places and securely mounted to the underside of the cross-member. Because sadly - their Hill-Billy R.E. solution actually seems to have worked - I'm just going to improve on it and do a better job of fabrication and not waste any more time trying to repair the stock shock mounts (which I have no idea how to do that anyway). That way I'll still be able to continue to use the shock absorber access holes in the cross-member as well.

Unless anybody has any other ideas, that is.

I won't even comment on or show pictures of the R.E. shackles they came up with, until later when I replace them with the correct units.

Mark, where oh where did you get that spiffy new trunk brace? If I can score a new one for myself, I think I would just hold off until it shows up before ripping out the tail light panel. Mine's OK, but it's going to take a lot of cleaning and being careful while removing other stuff to continue using it.

I spent the day grinding spot weld shrapnel and stripping 40 year old seam sealer, undercoating, caked mud, and whatever else was left of the rear end of mine. My snot is dark gray, and the Q-tips came out rust-colored after I recently got out of the shower.

I also discovered that the Redneck Engineering (henceforth referred to as "R.E.") didn't stop with the Gas Tank Hammock... or just the one 12-pack, either. It seems our heroes (the previous owners) decided to install some air shocks when they bashed the stockers through the upper shock mounts in the cross-member. There's literally nothing left of the original mounting points - just jagged holes now. Apparently, they saw fit to use more flat stock and angle, with judicious application of the torch (no actually 'drilling' of holes or anything - just blow through 'til the hole's are big enough), and we have air shocks mounted. If you look closely at the tops of the air shocks, you'll see the pieces of flat stock they braced against the blown out original mounting points. They also used shock extender studs to get through to the trapezoid-shaped angle-stock brackets on top of the cross-member. Notice the passenger side is off-center - that's because the shock extender was bent all to Hell when they installed it (or maybe later when they got back to trying to out-do the Duke Boys). Regardless, everything they came up with just 'floats' in there - nothing is nailed down (which explains why when the shock extender got bent, the R.E. top-mount just slid over a little bit).

So tomorrow, I'm going to fabricate a new mounting system which will probably consist of more flat stock. I'm thinking one piece straight across, bent into the correct contours of the lower portion of the cross-member with the correct diameter holes drilled through in the right places and securely mounted to the underside of the cross-member. Because sadly - their Hill-Billy R.E. solution actually seems to have worked - I'm just going to improve on it and do a better job of fabrication and not waste any more time trying to repair the stock shock mounts (which I have no idea how to do that anyway). That way I'll still be able to continue to use the shock absorber access holes in the cross-member as well.

Unless anybody has any other ideas, that is.

I won't even comment on or show pictures of the R.E. shackles they came up with, until later when I replace them with the correct units.
Got my frame crossmember from NPD #10780-2A $119 w/shipping perfect fit. Don from OMS pointed me there and my son made it a christmas gift.

Latest posts

Back