What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys - I appreciate your opinions and thanks for the words of encouragement. That's also a very generous offer, Don. Much appreciated.

But now I got more pondering to do. I just chatted with Scott and saw the thread where he pointed out that the cross-member for a '69-70 could be used to repair that damage.

Now, I gotta wonder even more what to do. That part wouldn't be here til next weekend as well - and the status of my shop availability is still up in the air.

I think I'm going to order the part, tack in what I have for now, change the rear suspension, and get the engine & tranny dropped in - thinking along the lines of bringing it home. If the shop's going to stay open, I can always take it all apart next weekend and 'do it right.' If it's not going to be open - well, at least I have the rear suspension, engine, and tranny in so I can bring it home if I must. My neighbor works at the local steelworks plant (i.e., tons of welding gear), and I guess I could bug him for some welding help (and bribe him with a case of beer as well).
Eric look here

www.ohiomustang.com

Product Category Listing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search results for: '3649y'

Item #3649Y

65-70 REAR SHOCK MOUNT PANEL

Includes two rubber plugs and rear axle bumper. Denser, thicker and stronger metal. Reproduction. Price: $156.95

Eric look herewww.ohiomustang.com

Search results for: '3649y'

Item #3649Y

65-70 REAR SHOCK MOUNT PANEL

Includes two rubber plugs and rear axle bumper. Denser, thicker and stronger metal. Reproduction. Price: $156.95
Don - SOLD! I'll get one on order this evening. Thanks again!

Got the car fired up with the new Holley carb! Thing runs sick (in a good way), just barely goosing the throttle and the tires broke loose! I have to re-wire the electric choke but that should be a pretty easy job to do. I have to re-jet the carb for altitude, but I'm very very happy with how it's running.

After reading Qcode351mach comments this morning I was going to order a new RH rail to cut it differently. When I went out to the garage I realized the replacement rails came with a 1-1/2 in recessed area to fit inside the old frame. I cut that off and used it as a backplate on the inside of the new/old frame junction. My new bestest freind Bill (Rascal wouldn't take a dime for what he did today)came over after I had it all fabbed up, did his measuring to verify mine and tacked everything into place so I can get a full set of final measurements. But right now the measurements say "Weld it OUT" PSYCHED!! :D

DSCN1371.JPGDSCN1375.JPGDSCN1376.JPGDSCN1373.JPG

After reading Qcode351mach comments this morning I was going to order a new RH rail to cut it differently. When I went out to the garage I realized the replacement rails came with a 1-1/2 in recessed area to fit inside the old frame. I cut that off and used it as a backplate on the inside of the new/old frame junction. My new bestest freind Bill (Rascal wouldn't take a dime for what he did today)came over after I had it all fabbed up, did his measuring to verify mine and tacked everything into place so I can get a full set of final measurements. But right now the measurements say "Weld it OUT" PSYCHED!! :D
Well that was easy. Great work!

Thought I was having a heart attack before I made the cuts on the old frame having never attempted anything like this. But knew I had great people with knowledge in my corner. Thanks all!!

Today, I got the engine mounts onto the engine and Rustang after a trip to the parts store for bolts (duh). After that, I jumped into removing the rear suspension. Only had to cut two U-bolts... surprisingly, everything else broke loose. And yes, apparently the traction bars were indeed Lakewood yellow.

383109_337740146236910_100000027814872_1310382_798004967_n.jpg

After I got the traction bars off, I spent almost 2 hours hunched over the 'blaster getting them cleaned up - as my back has been so good to remind me. Once they were done, I grabbed a can of Duplicolor High-Temp Engine Enamel, and shot it on - I'll run the sponge through the centers with Rust Bullet next weekend. I just wanted to get them cleaned and painted before the surface rust started in.

399689_337740169570241_100000027814872_1310383_1053207078_n.jpg

Both of them came out the same, but the pic of the first one was all blurry - so I only have the one to share.

After all that, it took damn near two hours to get all my stuff and work area cleaned up to be presentable until I can get back to it next weekend.

Apparently, the Auto Hobby Shop will still be open on weekends for DIYers for the time being. What that means for me is that I'll be hitting the sheet metal damage and getting the suspension replaced within the next few weekends, and drop the engine and tranny in when that's all done... still in anticipation of the place closing sometime soon in the future. Once I get all that stuff done, whatever happens happens, but at least for now I've still got a well-equipped shop to work in.

Wiring is 99% complete, dome light is still in the works, making an led set up for it. interior is 99% complete seemed to have mis placed my driver side vent and need to install the sterring wheel. Exterior is 99% complete, the hood is still off. Then off to alignment and pipes installed

d7.JPG

d5.JPG

sun.JPG

repaint.JPG

Roy I know your grinning from ear to ear. Me, after reading your post and not getting home until 4:00 when it was already 38 degrees and supposed to hit 20 tonight. All I could muster was placing the tail light panel to check fit with the new frame rails. Don from OMS says my floor pan will be here in a few days and I better get on the GITTY UP. Warmer weather after tomorrows deep freeze. I'll wait :)

DSCN1379.JPG

Wiring is 99% complete, dome light is still in the works, making an led set up for it. interior is 99% complete seemed to have mis placed my driver side vent and need to install the sterring wheel. Exterior is 99% complete, the hood is still off. Then off to alignment and pipes installed
Love the Dash and instruments. Very Cool.

When I first got my Mustang I wanted to keep it original during the restoration project. When I got the new engine from Don I was adamant about keeping it original. BUT, when I saw your gauges :s

Really, just how important are the factory gauges anyway. Great looking setup, makes me take pause. Besides, they match my blue interior.

mike

Is that the aftermarket din radio bezel, or did you cut a metal one and rework it?

Wiring is 99% complete, dome light is still in the works, making an led set up for it. interior is 99% complete seemed to have mis placed my driver side vent and need to install the steering wheel. Exterior is 99% complete, the hood is still off. Then off to alignment and pipes installed
Is that the aftermarket din radio bezel, or did you cut a metal one and rework it?
I cut it to make it fit, I have a couple more if I ever want to go back. Well the car is on the ground and may make it to alignment tomorrow:D The hood is still off right now and there are a few odds and ends to wrap up, ie heater control cables( I think I installed them wrong during rebuild of the box) cables for the fresh air ducts and have a few more pieces to send for carbon fiber, mini console and speaker grills.

ResizedImage951325622445563.jpg

2011-11-28_17-06-02_649.jpg

Back