What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to drive it today. It is currently parked at Mom's house, I rotate it with the Jeep. We visited mom for mothers day so I sprayed some starting fluid into the center carb and fired it up. What a blast! After warming it up some I took it for a spin. Temps are in the high 80's. I haven't driven it since March. With the temps climbing I probably won't drive it much for the next few months. I really really like my car.

While I'm living in apartment coupled with a very crappy wet spring (read the car was filthy after getting caught in the rain a couple of times) I decided to get my car washed... in a drive through car wash. All was fine until the "high pressure rinse" the jets spraying on the side windows came in almost unabated, I was soaked!!! :D Not sure I'll do THAT again.
I almost pissed myself reading this....thanks for making my day Jeff!

While I'm living in apartment coupled with a very crappy wet spring (read the car was filthy after getting caught in the rain a couple of times) I decided to get my car washed... in a drive through car wash. All was fine until the "high pressure rinse" the jets spraying on the side windows came in almost unabated, I was soaked!!! :D Not sure I'll do THAT again.
A.K.A.: "How to convince your wife that spending gobs of money on new weatherstripping is a good idea."

-Kurt

Realized that dropping off the Master Body Assembly Fastener Kit with the body shop guy was a bad idea. I had this thought figuring he'd take the clue and use the new fasteners to put my stuff back together with the right stuff in the right places. Yeah... not so much everywhere.

I got the kit back, in a different box (with a bunch of other 'stuff' rolling around in it), and it was missing several of the unused baggies along with the list of numbers for the different fasteners (and where they go). ((insert "head-smack" smilie here))

Also discovered that as disorganized as the space around my slot at the Auto Hobby Shop was, I actually knew where everything was. Now - not so much. It took me a half hour just to find the razor knife to cut open the new boxes from OMS and NPD. ((where's that damn "head-smack" smilie, anyway?))

I DID actually manage to get the new grille I picked up just 3 years ago loaded up with the sport lamps and set into place. I'm still hunting the new Pony & Bars grille emblem, support bracket, and of course... the fasteners.

I also pieced together the rear marker bezels, gaskets, and new markers themselves, only to find... yup - you guessed it: no fasteners. ((now I need the "sonofab!tch!!" smilie))

I need a beer - at least I know where that is. ;) rofl

That thing actually mounted into your car without issue? I would never have believed it - it's so darn warped. Glad to see that you can make use of it.

Now that I see your car, I realize that I forgot to mention that I have a blue center dash panel from the same car - somehow, it didn't get into the other photos. It doesn't have gauges, but it does have the factory blue color. It also has AC vents that would take up that gap:

zw15y8.jpg

I've also got a beat, but usable bezel and radio which would spruce the center dash panel up, a glovebox door and hinge, and the plastic piece that you staple the glove compartment onto. Let me know if these bits might be of interest.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
That thing actually mounted into your car without issue? I would never have believed it - it's so darn warped. Glad to see that you can make use of it.

Now that I see your car, I realize that I forgot to mention that I have a blue center dash panel from the same car - somehow, it didn't get into the other photos. It doesn't have gauges, but it does have the factory blue color. It also has AC vents that would take up that gap:

zw15y8.jpg

I've also got a beat, but usable bezel and radio which would spruce the center dash panel up, a glovebox door and hinge, and the plastic piece that you staple the glove compartment onto. Let me know if these bits might be of interest.

-Kurt
Well, I'm going to have to clean it up and paint it. It lines up fine I think the back part is a little warped but I doubt anyone would tell when I get finished with it.

I have the glovebox and door I just haven't put it back on as I was working in the cowl area. A lot of grinding made my dash real dirty. I'm thinking of modding the console to have my gauge pod where the clock goes.I appreciate the part offers I have tons of radios. I need a dash pad too. The blue bezel might be useful as I hate that big gaping hole at the top. Do you know what blue paint comes close to factory color?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

I have the glovebox and door I just haven't put it back on as I was working in the cowl area. A lot of grinding made my dash real dirty. I'm thinking of modding the console to have my gauge pod where the clock goes.I appreciate the part offers I have tons of radios. I need a dash pad too. The blue bezel might be useful as I hate that big gaping hole at the top. Do you know what blue paint comes close to factory color?
No idea on what paint color comes close. The blue seems to vary on the parts I have.

Let me know if you'd like that center dash section - I've had that thing boxed up for ages.

-Kurt

I started polishing my intake today... and it will probably take me many more days to finish it... but the end result should look sweet... :)

intake.jpg

MY DAD SOLD THE MACH 1....he copped out for 17.5, since the car needed a bit of work and he just didn't want to do it :(

The guy we sold it too is in florida though I don't know exactly where, so anyone in that state may want to watch out for it.

I pulled the carb and drilled and tapped it for the solenoid mount. Installed the solenoid and adjusted. Hot engine now shuts off cleanly and my dieseling is hopefully resolved. Readjusted the choke and finally seem to have the tune just right. Pulls cleanly below 2000 rpm now (which was never the expectation with the cam, though the extra cubic inches calm it some I suppose) Caltracs are keeping everything straight, but the g-force radials on back still spin at will.

New aero wheels came in today and the hoosiers are due here before the end of the week. I am hoping a taller wider slick will get me some traction. Caltracs will get an additional turn of preload before the next run, but I need a rev limiter before I try that again. While a ford tach isn't known for accuracy, having them show 7500 and 8000 rpms is a bit unnerving, even though every component in the engine was built to handle that.

Car is running absolutely beautifully and is so stinking streetable it is a crime.

Cleaned up chrome on the console. Also painted the clock bezel area.

uploadfromtaptalk1400085426010.jpg

Waiting on medium blue paint to arrive so I can finish the rest of it.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

i found Stuart Little in my cowl... god knows how long he's been there. rofl

2zzopig.jpg

this is what i found while working on my electrical.. :(

I pulled the carb and drilled and tapped it for the solenoid mount. Installed the solenoid and adjusted. Hot engine now shuts off cleanly and my dieseling is hopefully resolved. Readjusted the choke and finally seem to have the tune just right. Pulls cleanly below 2000 rpm now (which was never the expectation with the cam, though the extra cubic inches calm it some I suppose) Caltracs are keeping everything straight, but the g-force radials on back still spin at will.

New aero wheels came in today and the hoosiers are due here before the end of the week. I am hoping a taller wider slick will get me some traction. Caltracs will get an additional turn of preload before the next run, but I need a rev limiter before I try that again. While a ford tach isn't known for accuracy, having them show 7500 and 8000 rpms is a bit unnerving, even though every component in the engine was built to handle that.

Car is running absolutely beautifully and is so stinking streetable it is a crime.
:cool:Iaaeeyee like it! Because of a funding crunch for do-over disc brakes-re-tune w/Dynometer-refining the finish-and correcting/refitting-resealing existing 2 1/4 inch exhaust but will reattempt a fabricate 2 1/2 inch exhaust Dr Gas Spin Tech dual side exhaust to quad system re: if not compromising the @ 9 inch long/4 inch high mufflers in flipping then around-cutting hole on other end on each muffler and welding an extension pipe then atch to X pipe-Hooker Headers and creating extra pipes to extend to the rear.~quad exhaust~better than installing cut-outs.PS @ YOUR 7500 RPMs-did that w/my restomod cleveland on my Hurst 4 speed wide ratio in 1st gear 58mph at 7200 RPMs almost left a stain per se on my seat when in a panic thought about blowing the engine but luckily having the cleveland rebuilt to solid lifters and 9.5:1 compression but still will not do that again-my MSD rev limiter was at max setting. Now readjusted to 6200 RPMs.

Last edited by a moderator:
looking at some MSD nboxes for the next upgrade Thinking the Digital 6 plus is slight overkill for me, so that seems about right. Ford tach with aftermarket HEI was off by 700 rpm on the dyno in the past at the very top end so while I buzzed 7200 I wasn't there long and likely really didn't see any more. I need lighter valves to pull that shit regularly.

Latest posts

Back