What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could it be that they installed springs with higher open pressures and the pushrods couldn't handle it? If thats the case thicker walled pushrods should do the trick.
It has double springs in it now.

Which springs, I don't know - but the Comp Cams 268H cam in the car now (#32-221-3) recommends dual-spring set #940-16. The pushrods recommended by Comp are 5/16 / 8.412 - stock specs.

-Kurt
I believe that open pressure for those springs if you have them are 240 lbs. If that's the springs you have the pushrods should have been able to handle those pressures. I have a set of Manley Chromoly hardened for use with guide plates stock length that I am thinking about selling if you're interested. They are good up to around 330 lbs spring pressure. They were installed but never run, wound up needing shorter ones because of my cam lift. PM me if interested.

I believe that open pressure for those springs if you have them are 240 lbs. If that's the springs you have the pushrods should have been able to handle those pressures. I have a set of Manley Chromoly hardened for use with guide plates stock length that I am thinking about selling if you're interested. They are good up to around 330 lbs spring pressure. They were installed but never run, wound up needing shorter ones because of my cam lift. PM me if interested.
Chances are that I might need a valve or two rather than the springs. Most likely whacked the top of a cylinder and bent them.

I'm going to check timing and wear on the chain first, re-time/replace if necessary, put new pushrods in, then perform a leakdown test on each cylinder.

Might as well go through the motions.

-Kurt

Took the '72 apart, and found this:

281getv.jpg

mm31ib.jpg

sqjszs.jpg

GRRRRRR!

What's more, the other pushrods appear to be a bit loose when not compressed. Opened the front end to double check the timing chain; found a Ford Racing unit installed in there.

Not sure if they wiped out the CompCam that they put in it, put the wrong pushrods in, or if that backfire from yesterday due to the dizzy caused this. I'm hoping it's the latter, for it means the Jethro that rebuilt this motor didn't run it like this (and he claims he did run it). The minimal scrapes on the pushrods seem to suggest recent damage.

At any rate, I'm not going to worry about it now, seeing as I may not be satisfied if I don't pull the heads to inspect. Back to finishing Soylent Green.

-Kurt
too bad @ pushrod i am in the same canoe w/out the paddle or in my case its the w/out a brake 'pedal', per se. Got it in for paint touch up-@ an application of some sort of protectant to prevent any further scratches and chips when all of the sudden when had it up on the lift-figured better clean up the undercarriage though never been out in any wet weather-notice must have been prior undercoated w/a water base coating! As well when had the overdrive installed-did not rehang the exhaust pipes or as crappy job as breaking the pin to the brake pedal under the dash. Though only place in my county had a good rep not no 6re

I took the 4 speed Mach 1 out of hibernation and ran it around for some exercise. When I got back home, I had the radio on. I sat in the Mach 1 listening to a baseball game on scratchy AM station. It reminded me of when I listened to the Cubs games back in the 70's in my first 73 Mach 1 on a warm summer night. I love this car! Maybe this is the year I finally take those plastic seat covers off - still on the fence about that though.

2w7pk0m.jpg

I took the 4 speed Mach 1 out of hibernation and ran it around for some exercise. When I got back home, I had the radio on. I sat in the Mach 1 listening to a baseball game on scratchy AM station. It reminded me of when I listened to the Cubs games back in the 70's in my first 73 Mach 1 on a warm summer night. I love this car! Maybe this is the year I finally take those plastic seat covers off - still on the fence about that though.

2w7pk0m.jpg
Cool post, Steve. I'll be 54 next week, with a non-concours convertible. The question I have is who should deserve to drive around in your car sitting in the seats without seat covers? The next owner who paid a whole lot more because of the pristine seats, or you, the true lover of the car?

Take this with two grains of salt, because I'm starting to think more about enjoying the vert while I have her, rather than wait until questionable futures.

2w7pk0m.jpg
Maybe buy some spare seats and save the originals for special occasions!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Cool post, Steve. I'll be 54 next week, with a non-concours convertible. The question I have is who should deserve to drive around in your car sitting in the seats without seat covers? The next owner who paid a whole lot more because of the pristine seats, or you, the true lover of the car?

Take this with two grains of salt, because I'm starting to think more about enjoying the vert while I have her, rather than wait until questionable futures.
I think you are right Doc. I will be 54 in 5 months myself and we must be thinking the same way. I was just recently thinking about my 69 Mach 1 (shaker, 4 speed, all original) that I kept in the garage, covered up, rarely driven so I could keep the mileage down. I sold that car in an incredible moment of stupidity several years ago and now realize that I never really got to enjoy it. I was always saving it - and for what? Like you said - for someone else to enjoy. I think those seat covers come off this year! They have been there since July 1973 so it's time to set them free.

Last edited by a moderator:
put it on a transport heading for it's new owner in florida

guy lives just north of Orlando I think....so anyone in central/northern florida be on the lookout for it.

I think you are right Doc. I will be 54 in 5 months myself and we must be thinking the same way. I was just recently thinking about my 69 Mach 1 (shaker, 4 speed, all original) that I kept in the garage, covered up, rarely driven so I could keep the mileage down. I sold that car in an incredible moment of stupidity several years ago and now realize that I never really got to enjoy it. I was always saving it - and for what? Like you said - for someone else to enjoy. I think those seat covers come off this year! They have been there since July 1973 so it's time to set them free.
Steve, I say DRIVE IT, have fun. We are close to the same age.

As I just found out, things can change in an instant.

Pull the covers OFF - sit in that seat naked - NO pictures needed of that though :p Be the first to sit in them and enjoy it.

Don

reinstalled the axles with new seals and bearings. Reinstalled the rear brakes. Seems to be dragging more than ever. :( Had to make some adjustments to the bracketry and my e brake set up is a PITA to work on with the x pipe, so it looks like I am going to be looking at some rerouting and an exhaust system mod or two.

I'll probably take it all apart again if I can't find the source of the tightness.

My take on the seat subject:

I read a quote by an owner in a muscle car magazine that said:" I'll be damned if I take care of it for the next one to enjoy it. "

That's the rule I live by. I put so much money into my car, I have to get a return and my return is the fun I have with it.

I treat all my stuff like that, my guitars too.

I have a completely original 1964 Fender Stratocaster (google the value for fun) that I still take out and play live although I have plenty guitars I could use instead. If I don't play it there us no use in having it.

My two cents.

So enjoy your car or the next guy will.

My take on the seat subject:

I read a quote by an owner in a muscle car magazine that said:" I'll be damned if I take care of it for the next one to enjoy it. "

That's the rule I live by. I put so much money into my car, I have to get a return and my return is the fun I have with it.

I treat all my stuff like that, my guitars too.

I have a completely original 1964 Fender Stratocaster (google the value for fun) that I still take out and play live although I have plenty guitars I could use instead. If I don't play it there us no use in having it.

My two cents.

So enjoy your car or the next guy will.
That's my sentiments exactly! I'm building my car to drive and enjoy! If I screw something up, I can always fix it. Trailer queen is not in my vocabulary!

-Travis

Little elbow grease and a wash job and your cruisin tomorrow.
Har, har, har.

Everybody here ought to be utterly envious of how you've kept your build down to pocket change. How did you paint it without succumbing to the isocyanates?

-Kurt

This was last week but finally got the AM FM 8 Track working back from a shop that had it forever and a day. Installed it so this is like the coolest thing ever- although the digital clock that keeps accurate time is almost as cool. It came out of a late 70s Ford and most people who are not Mustang experts think it is original!

Almost no upgrades left that I want to do to the car left to do.

I think I however mamegd to sscrew up the wiring as the tailights and running lights wont turn off unless I disconnect the battery!

stereo.jpg

Well I figured since im going to be driving 4+ hours to Carlisle I need to move my drivers seat to make it a little more comfortable. A few years back I installed new floor pans in my car and new seat risers. At the time I didn't know that they only sold seat risers for coupe and convertible. Turns out they are about 3/4-1" higher that the fastback risers. That and my new seat cushions and upholstery made my head rub the roof. So when driving I always had to slouch down. Not very comfortable. So I am going to cut out the spot weld on seat riser cut it down and re weld in back in to the car lower and a little more back to get a touch more leg room. Probably an inch lower and an inch and half to the rear. only thing that sucks is that I have eastwood heat shield and sound deadener all over the floor. So I took a knife and cut out what I needed and took and heat gun and putty knife and started scraping away the nasty black goo. Got that all off after an hr or two.

So tonight finish drilling the spot welds and clean it up to re weld back in. All this work for a couple inches!!! but it should be a lot more comfortable to ride in. If I would of known about the seat pans then!!! o well. Still need to wire up my exhaust cutouts and give the car a good detailing before Carlisle.

2q07yhk.jpg

2cf4cas.jpg

Back