What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I trust you fixed the fuel gauge ;)
No , I put gas in the tank with extra jug in the trunk. Will be more diligent next time . I was two miles from Bucees when the tank ran dry.🙄I did make it to Bucees after a few cranks of the key 🔑

Attachments

• IMG_3966.jpeg
    IMG_3966.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3969.jpeg
    IMG_3969.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Took the Mach 1 out for a quick spin with my daughter. First drive of the year and I broke the input on the toploader. I felt something was "off" last year, now I know what it was. Must have twisted it last year and finished the job yesterday. It now has zero gears. Was able to get an endoscope into the bellhousing, looks like crunchy bits at the clutch splines. Will probably get it up on cribs today and start pulling the exhaust to get to the transmission. Even had the GoPro rolling to capture the event.

PICT0015.jpgzoomed.JPG

Took the Mach 1 out for a quick spin with my daughter. First drive of the year and I broke the input on the toploader. I felt something was "off" last year, now I know what it was. Must have twisted it last year and finished the job yesterday. It now has zero gears. Was able to get an endoscope into the bellhousing, looks like crunchy bits at the clutch splines. Will probably get it up on cribs today and start pulling the exhaust to get to the transmission. Even had the GoPro rolling to capture the event.

View attachment 87342View attachment 87341

Jeez, Hemikiller, I thought you'd have a deeper voice than that. :LOL: JK! I guess we can also call you toploaderkiller now.
I'm sure you'll have it back on the road soon and stronger than ever.

View attachment 87342View attachment 87341

Well, that really sucked!! Sounds strong though.... up to "that point"!
Nice roundabout and good to see others know who has right of way. Here, Canadians find them "highly confusing". Why I don't know, they're the best things ever invented for roads. Coming from the UK I might be slightly biased.

To follow up on my previous post, "what did I do to my car today" I said "nothing".
Well it's still nothing. We got a sprinkle of snow and the damn salt trucks were out in force again. Now we need a few heavy rainfalls to wash the sh*t off again. Oh well soon I guess.

Hey Hemi, if you can, and you remember, please take pics of the repairs and post them up here. I think many of us would find it very interesting and useful. I myself will be doing a complete rebuild on my toploader and I plan to upgrade it to a 1-3/8" wide ratio 4th gear input shaft and a 31 spline mainshaft. I'm going to have a local machine shop bore out the tail housing on my toploader for the 31 spline bushing and seal. If anyone is interested, the measurements for the tail housing modifications are 2.502" for the seal and 1.814" for the bushing.

@rio1856 here's an album of pics when I rebuilt this transmission a couple years ago. It came out of my 71 Cougar XR7 back in 2006. I abused it quite a bit, and whomever had it before me did too. If you go down to the pics of the sliders, you can see where material had been displaced on the splines. I replaced those and checked everything for straightness. A friend had twisted the input on his toploader a couple years before, so I was conscious about looking for that, but this *was* good at the time.

@Stanglover the roundabout works well, most of the time. It's only the ones that stop to let people in, and those that don't understand what a "Yield" sign means that muck it all up. The DOT completely rebuilt this one about ten years ago to make it tighter and help slow people down.

@rio1856 here's an album of pics when I rebuilt this transmission a couple years ago. It came out of my 71 Cougar XR7 back in 2006. I abused it quite a bit, and whomever had it before me did too. If you go down to the pics of the sliders, you can see where material had been displaced on the splines. I replaced those and checked everything for straightness. A friend had twisted the input on his toploader a couple years before, so I was conscious about looking for that, but this *was* good at the time.

@Stanglover the roundabout works well, most of the time. It's only the ones that stop to let people in, and those that don't understand what a "Yield" sign means that muck it all up. The DOT completely rebuilt this one about ten years ago to make it tighter and help slow people down.
Roundabouts, actually the main problem I see here is they are NOT big enough. Transport tucks have a tough time getting around them. A friend of mine, a fellow Brit and a truck driver says it all the time. The other issue is as you say, nobody obeys "yield" signs. There's a simple rule; if a vehicle is already in the roundabout, give way to the left.
Yield signs, stop signs, orange traffic lights let alone red lights, are fast becoming just a suggestion, not a hard and fast traffic law. And we wonder why there are so many accidents making Lawyers rich!!

Took the mustang in a month ago to get the transmission checked it wasn’t down shifting automatically had to manually down shift. They called and said there were pieces broke and the clutches were burnt. After the rebuild they took it for a drive and it still didn’t shift right so they pulled the pan and found lots of metal shavings so now they had to order a torque converter and go completely back through it. I should be getting it back this week. Then I plan on installing a gear vendor and putting the 389 gears back in and taking the 325s out

Roundabouts, actually the main problem I see here is they are NOT big enough. Transport tucks have a tough time getting around them. A friend of mine, a fellow Brit and a truck driver says it all the time. The other issue is as you say, nobody obeys "yield" signs. There's a simple rule; if a vehicle is already in the roundabout, give way to the left.
Yield signs, stop signs, orange traffic lights let alone red lights, are fast becoming just a suggestion, not a hard and fast traffic law. And we wonder why there are so many accidents making Lawyers rich!!

This one has over run aprons on the sides and around the island to allow tractor trailers to pass through easily. Before they rebuilt it, there was enough asphalt for two cars side by side in areas. I had some clown in a Lincoln Town Car pull in right next to me once.

Got the tranny out last night. Multi-piece input confirmed. Everything else looks good, so I'm leaning towards throwing in my old toploader in for a bit while I get the upgraded 1 1/8" - 26 spline input ordered and installed in this one. I'll need a new clutch disc to match the input as well.

1711980491366.png

1711980500136.png

This one has over run aprons on the sides and around the island to allow tractor trailers to pass through easily. Before they rebuilt it, there was enough asphalt for two cars side by side in areas. I had some clown in a Lincoln Town Car pull in right next to me once.

Got the tranny out last night. Multi-piece input confirmed. Everything else looks good, so I'm leaning towards throwing in my old toploader in for a bit while I get the upgraded 1 1/8" - 26 spline input ordered and installed in this one. I'll need a new clutch disc to match the input as well.

View attachment 87347

View attachment 87348
First, roundabouts. Somewhere in my archived old videos, I'm sure I have a video of a real UK roundabout, not 1 lane, not 2 but 3 lanes. The difference is everybody driving in the UK has grown up with them and although like most places, the standard of driving has taken a nose dive, everybody know which lane they need to be in for the exit they want. They also have mini roundabouts, the size of a tractor tire. Some are slightly raised, others are just painted on the road. They work great as long as drivers give way to traffic on their right (opposite to here).
To me it seems North America in general is scared stiff of them, when in fact they are the easiest way to control traffic with out traffic lights, or stop signs everywhere.

I saw the pics of the toploader blow up on 'another FB page'. You did a good job on that one. Maybe I should slow my shifting down a bit too.

John Lennon lyric 1980
"Life is what happens to you, while you're busy making other plans,"

I needed to clear coat some small parts for the F100. Clear coat after mixed has a max, advertised pot life of two hours. It is kinda expensive, once mixed cannot be saved. So I wanted to do some small spots on my 73 Mach 1 at the same time.

Needed to back out of the garage. Won't start. Carb decided to hang the float and dump enough fuel into the engine that it hydro-locked.

Car has an engine replacement kit that includes a FiTech unit. Will not have time to replace engine for at least a year. FiTech unit is now bolted on the 351. Need to install fuel pump and plumbing and distributor and coil and wiring. And get the fuel out of the engine. Oh yea, and program. Just need the car back on the road.

4/2/2024
Added return port to fuel level assembly. It had a plastic filter that crumbled when I removed the unit. I stretched the hard line to the tank bottom. Calibrated float empty position. Installed return line to fender well.

4/3/2024
Fuel feed and return lines connected on both ends. Bunch of fiddle time. I will never us a rubber hose if I can run hard line - water, fuel, AC. And I absolutely will never put a rubber fuel hose over an engine. So the front end takes longer, but they last forever.

Last edited:
Well, that really sucked!! Sounds strong though.... up to "that point"!
Nice roundabout and good to see others know who has right of way. Here, Canadians find them "highly confusing". Why I don't know, they're the best things ever invented for roads. Coming from the UK I might be slightly biased.
This coming from someone who drives on the wrong side of the road 😂

Back