What did you do today instead of working on your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did buy main and rod bearings, so that counts.. but I made a set of crucible tongs to use with my new graphite crucible. I have been experimenting with backyard aluminum casting using green sand and this is a major upgrade for me since I can melt a lot more metal at once. I have a 3d printer to make plugs for molds and have never attempted a 2 part mold. I will try something this week.
That sounds like a neat project.  I got to do some sand casting about 20 years ago.

Well it was actually a couple of days ago though returning home today we did a run from outside San Antonio (home) to the San Bernadino mountains where they own a family cabin to send her parents ashes where they wished. A great trip of closure whilst also visiting friends in Tuscon for a couple of days along the way. We are happy to be home.

Went to the range with friends from work. Everyone shoots theirs and everyone else's iron.:banana:

Baptized my new home built AR15, zeroed with one click of right. Picked off a golf ball on top of a soda can at 100yds. Soda can still standing till the next shot. Let everybody shoot my M-1 carbine, AR and my MP9. Got to shoot three different AK's Two Mosin Nagants , a CZ-75 a Weatherby, a 300blackout AR and finally a M-1 Garand. Got home and spent three hours cleaning guns. :bravo:

Just spent fathers day with the wife, four children, and three grand children, my mom, dad and sister. What a nice day!

I tackled a job I had put off for a year. I had bought a really heavy duty rotisserie from a friend and it had sat outside for a year. Of course our friend Mr. Rust had taken over. This is not your typical rotisserie it was built by a former Tool & Die maker and they always go overboard. Most of the frame is 1/4" thick box or round tube. I cannot pick most pieces up by myself. I spent a week and wore out several really heavy wire brushes on a 4" side grinder. On the last small piece the grinder grabbed and got my left hand and ate me up. I just got healed up enough to get back on it yesterday. So I got everything painted with the paint I got mixed at Lowe's to match the Ford corporate blue. My son helped me set a couple of the pieces together and hope to finish up assembly today. Will probably get the A code 4 speed 1965 vert mounted on it first and do some floor and frame repairs. It is not too bad I bought in the 70's and put it up to keep.

Pics maybe later today.

Ok between doing remodel on house and working on cars and everything I got behind on finishing the Rotisserie. It is done and in the work room. That thing is a beast and is really built strong and has adjustment to allow any vehicle to be mounted. I will only be doing 1965 Mustangs and 1972 and 73 Mustangs so won't be lots of adjustment needed. It is made to hook up in front on the frame rails where the bumper mounts and in the rear where the springs mount. The end next to the consoles swivels so you can steer it and the really large inflated tires make it easy to move around. There is a tongue on the swivel end also. I got it when shop closed for $800 and will sure beat rolling around on the floor. I saw it with a Camaro on it and you could rotate with one finger. Has four stabilizers, jack stands, on corners also that makes it steady when working.

When I get a car where it is right I will drill reference holes so I can go right back to same place easy.

image hostings

After working in the work room I am going to order 4 more of the LED lights like I have that are vapor proof made for paint room. I will add one on each side in the middle and one on each end. When I wired it I made provisions for them there but was told by the supplier that 4 was enough but not if you are painting.

So now to get a car mounted and get something done.

BTW the paint I used is something pretty new at our local Lowe's.  They actually laser scanned the valve cover in the picture and mixed the paint to match Ford corporate blue. The air cleaner lid is an original Ford which has probably faded a bit. I think it is a pretty good match. Using it on all my equipment in the shop. It is also a rust inhibitor from Valspar called Armor. It is much less cost than others like Rustoleum and can be mixed any color and Rustoleum cannot be mixed. I put on with brush and roller and it looks pretty good and dries hard in a couple weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am now at my property in north Idaho through August enjoying the cool so many miles away from my car. That said, I did wash my '99 F150 4x4 here...

I tackled a job I had put off for a year. I had bought a really heavy duty rotisserie from a friend and it had sat outside for a year. Of course our friend Mr. Rust had taken over. This is not your typical rotisserie it was built by a former Tool & Die maker and they always go overboard. Most of the frame is 1/4" thick box or round tube. I cannot pick most pieces up by myself. I spent a week and wore out several really heavy wire brushes on a 4" side grinder. On the last small piece the grinder grabbed and got my left hand and ate me up. I just got healed up enough to get back on it yesterday. So I got everything painted with the paint I got mixed at Lowe's to match the Ford corporate blue. My son helped me set a couple of the pieces together and hope to finish up assembly today. Will probably get the A code 4 speed 1965 vert mounted on it first and do some floor and frame repairs. It is not too bad I bought in the 70's and put it up to keep.

Pics maybe later today.

Ok between doing remodel on house and working on cars and everything I got behind on finishing the Rotisserie. It is done and in the work room. That thing is a beast and is really built strong and has adjustment to allow any vehicle to be mounted. I will only be doing 1965 Mustangs and 1972 and 73 Mustangs so won't be lots of adjustment needed. It is made to hook up in front on the frame rails where the bumper mounts and in the rear where the springs mount. The end next to the consoles swivels so you can steer it and the really large inflated tires make it easy to move around. There is a tongue on the swivel end also. I got it when shop closed for $800 and will sure beat rolling around on the floor. I saw it with a Camaro on it and you could rotate with one finger. Has four stabilizers, jack stands, on corners also that makes it steady when working.

When I get a car where it is right I will drill reference holes so I can go right back to same place easy.

image hostings

After working in the work room I am going to order 4 more of the LED lights like I have that are vapor proof made for paint room. I will add one on each side in the middle and one on each end. When I wired it I made provisions for them there but was told by the supplier that 4 was enough but not if you are painting.

BTW the paint I used is something pretty new at our local Lowe's.  They actually laser scanned the valve cover in the picture and mixed the paint to match Ford corporate blue. The air cleaner lid is an original Ford which has probably faded a bit. I think it is a pretty good match. Using it on all my equipment in the shop. It is also a rust inhibitor from Valspar called Armor. It is much less cost than others like Rustoleum and can be mixed any color and Rustoleum cannot be mixed. I put on with brush and roller and it looks pretty good and dries hard in a couple weeks.

Pics maybe later today.

image hostings

Wow. That is quite the rotisserie. Nice find on the paint. I might have to look into that.

Got this shirt for father's day...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
I have that same shirt!   ::thumb::

This weekend was all about cleaning up after a monster storm slammed San Angelo Friday evening.

So, it was 109, then this storm popped up and blew in from the north, right when another popped up right above Twin Buttes and crashed into it above Arden Road - dropped the temp to the mid/low-70s behind the front. Outflow winds from the main storm were recorded around 70mph with some reported 100+mph gusts. Tore the roofs off some buildings downtown, uprooted a lot of trees, blew down fences, destroyed a lot of sheds and weaker outbuildings - including some older, less protected storage units, downed a lot of power lines, and dumped more than 2" of rain (that's about how much we got in the pool). No tornadoes, just straight-line winds - KLST was broadcasting warnings, lost power, then hopped in their cars and used smart phones to continue broadcasting (they're pretty awesome, being able to adjust on-the-fly like that).

Our neighborhood seemed to take the weather fairly well - I'm amazed at how little damage we seemed to suffer compared to the rest of the city. None of my plastic sheds took any damage, and surprisingly, all the junk on my back porch stayed put as well.

http://sanangelolive.com/news/san-angelo/2017-06-23/updates-wild-storm-hits-san-angelo-damage-everywhere

The Mustang was snug as a bug in the garage the whole time.  I'm hoping to pull it out this weekend for some tinkering, then some fun and a cruise to a July 4th parade

I installed my replacement windshield washer fluid reservoir and pumps on our 2006 Suburban that resides in our second home in north Idaho. Chevy dealer wanted $300 whilst Rock Auto wanted $40. As the battery was dead it was a one stop fix.

I replaced the pump on our weed sprayer and had this little guy show up about 30 yards out. Beautiful fur on the bear. He ate for a while then moseyed off.

I was trying to help a young gal out by letting her use my camper to live in while she works locally as a nurse. With all the tourist trade here she could not find a place to live that she could afford. So I gave her my camper and I went today and hooked up the sewer so now she is set for her stay until September. One day I will need a nurse. lol.

I replaced the screws with bolts/nuts on the door to my outhouse here in north Idaho. All is good...

Back