What did you do today instead of working on your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I handloaded for my 416 Remington for a bit of range time on Wednesday prepping for a hunt in Zimbabwe in a couple weeks.
I hope you are not going to shoot the beautiful wildlife there? I'm not even mentioning endangered wildlife here.

I handloaded for my 416 Remington for a bit of range time on Wednesday prepping for a hunt in Zimbabwe in a couple weeks.
A fellow hunter. I pretty much quit hunting here after I went to Africa and I have made that long flight from Atlanta to Joburg 14 times, lol. I formed a hunt and travel business to support my habits but shut it down a couple years ago when i went to China to work.

I have taken several clients to South Africa and Botswana. Has Zim calmed down? I know when the dictator took over the country several years ago their money was worthless. I have one of their I think 10,000,000,000 notes that would not buy a cup of coffee, lol. Is that too many zeros?

I have taken so many hunters to one ranch in S.A. that they allow me to guide and last trip I was there over 4 months. You get to be a much better hunter after doing all the spot and stalk there. I could never sit in a stand here and would walk miles in Montana every day.

I saw the post about shooting the endangered wildlife. For those that do not hunt it is difficult to understand. Hunting in Africa is what has saved the animals. The one ranch I hunt on is small 50 square miles. It was a sheep, cattle and produce farm until hunting became popular. The Government would pay professional hunters to go in and just kill every wild animal they could so they could bring in domestic livestock and raise crops. When hunting became a way to make money it gave a value to the wild animals that was not there previous. So now the once domestic ranch was taken back to wild game and there are thousands of animals back because they can make money with the hunters. People that go on photo safaris do not pump the thousands of dollars back into the country. Hunters do and all the meat is eaten by hunters and also locals. When CITIES, Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species, stopped the bringing of Cheetahs back to the U.S. the ranch owners allow hunters to shoot them for free to eliminate them. They eat other animals and now have no value since they cannot come to U.S. or other countries . They take pics and leave the animal for the other animals to eat. That is how regulation of animals destroys them not hunting.

I will have to go get a link to one of my video slide shows of South Africa and post here. It is deep into spring there now I like to go in June, July or August during their winter.

So have a safe journey and I want to see some pics when you return. I have a blue wildebeest, Eastern Cape Kudu, Gemsbock, warthog, black springboc, white springboc, common springboc, mountain rebock, Impala and several bushbucks hanging on my wall here. I still have several animals at the ranch to bring over. All but the warthog and Impala qualify for SCI record books. The Kudu was #25 and if I had taken my muzzle loader that day would be the current #1. I took a .17 HMR last trip to shoot the baboons and monkeys and ended up shooting a record book Bushbuck. Smallest rifle made. I also take a .50 cal. muzzle loader and one center fire for plains game. I do have a .458 Model 70 Winchester but have not taken it I do not have the funds for dangerous game, lol. On my next trip I got a new .50 cal. muzzle loader I am going to give the owner of the ranch and leave there. A bow or muzzle loader does not have to be checked in when going through SAPS and customs in South Africa. Getting the good powder there is a chore. I have to take empty 12 ga. Mag. shotgun shells and fill them with Pyrodex or one of the better powders and ranch sends invitation letter and includes two boxes of 12 ga. ammo in the letter. After I get there I cut the shells open and the 209 primers are what is used in the muzzle loader also. Only way you can get good powder to Africa. I also do the paperwork to allow more than the 100 round limit for ammo. With all the predator / pest hunting I do I took 400 rounds last trip. I also leave the left over ammo there. Now you have be dying to go back, lol. I have enough air miles with Delta for 8 tickets so it costs me about $100 to get there and I get free room and board and free hunting while there so it is a great deal for me.

Once you get the red dust of Africa on your boots you will return.

I will come back with link to a couple video slide shows later. This pic is a sunrise over the Indian Ocean at Port Elizabeth SA. The mountains in the background are where I hunt near Addo Elephant Park.

Here is a link to a video slide show I put together from some hunts it does have music in background. https://animoto.com/play/L40EMEeI7fu6zP5bj2ylcQ

This one is from Addo Elephant Park near where I hunt always rent a cottage there and spend several days in the park. Not many places you can get out of the car due to the dangerous game there.

https://animoto.com/play/G4xyKK8BF7PvugEzb5JwTg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.  Hadn't seen this thread in a LONG time.  Thanks for diggin' it up, Bent!

I'm at work waiting [hopefully] for the leadership to send everybody home - then, I'll get to post on the "What did you do to your Mustang today" thread starting the day after.  :whistling:

rofl

I had pruned some of the weeds and trash plants and racked some of the yard. I got a burn permit and burned them today since rain yesterday. Here are some pictures of my victory garden getting started, hard to see all the little onions up, and one of my wood piles I have twice that much. Got to get stacked on pallets and covered will be good for maybe 3 years if I last that long. So if I have wood, food and water I am set. Well maybe some blended whiskey in there also.

I did try to get ahead of the curve and got my canning jar lids on my last trip out the other day. 

So much traffic still on the road. People just do not have a clue on how this virus works. I see they are finally about to say wear a mask. I lived in China and those people wear masks and they did way better at slowing and stopping this in their country. South Korea also. You feel naked in China without your mask. It does help especially if you are a carrier to not spread it. I had bought several dozen of the 3-M N95 masks and had some left so I wear mine. I use when mowing grass due to all the pollen, and when I went out the other day.

So tomorrow I intend to start loading stuff to go to recycle and dump to clean up some. Clean up the garage and get in order. Going to sell several cars had hoped to get to car shows with them but all shut down.

I wanted to get started sanding the 72 Q vert so could get the color on it as soon as warm. I need help getting the body on the rotisserie for sanding. All panel work is done on the floor.

I hate to get my first quarter report on my retirement will probably be zero. 

I need some red okra seed will see if I can order and not go out. I have all my other seeds and have little plants in flats now. Going to be in the low 40's here tonight so pushing my luck.

Adding baffles to my Dart's valve covers and getting the PCV sorted.

eRhbcZB.jpg

KvvYe6T.jpg

Looks like it's going to rain today. I trimmed, cleaned, and mowed the yard yesterday, so since it's an indoor day, I will probably build models. I've got a bunch of sixties vintage car kits to do. I used to do aircraft kits as well. What I do.....

upload pic

This is my addition that i built myself about 7 years ago.  Its 24'x28' with 16' ceilings in the center.  The floor joists are 16" on center.  With a 12" LVL beam supporting the center of the floor span. I cut 4 of the floor joists back to the LVL and relocated 1. Then capped them with a 2x10.  While doing all this i built a temporary wall under the floor joists to support and hold anything from moving.  I then framed in the opening and built in 2 load supporting walls  that carry load from the floor joist directly to the concrete slab underneath.  These walls will also act as my stairwell going to the basement.  Then remove my temporary walls. Its pretty easy. You just frame it in like you would if you were building it from the beginning.  You just have to make sure your temporary walls are supporting the load while you work.  That's the only difference. But I'm still not done framing yet. I will post up some pics of the finished framing before i cover it up with drywall. This is what it looked like when I was building the addition. Cant find the pics from the beginning but this will give you an idea.

And some of the stone on the outside. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a couple tough days. I had got my mom a pup years ago that we think was now 18. I also have a snouser miniature that is 4. They were playing on Friday morning as they do every day. The old pup was a female and he is male. She raised him from 8 weeks trained him to go outside and worked out great. Well I take them outside just before bed and she starts having issues. She was blind and deaf but she knows the home and yard and it is all fenced. 

So Friday night I did not sleep. She was struggling to breath very shallow and fast so I knew congestive heart failure was probably setting in. Saturday morning I took them outside and she usually comes to the door and scratches to come in but nothing. So I go out and she is lying in the grass breathing hard. 

I spent the day holding her putting her at water bowl and she would drink and I would take outside. She would not eat so I fried her favorite bacon and she ate a piece. 

She use to lay in my mom's lap for hours she had Alzheimer's. She always slept on my bed and would wake me when Mom would get up during the night.

When I would get my rifle out she would do donuts because she knew we were going hunting. She could track a wounded squirrel, ground hog or turkey and when she found them would start to try to bury them. 

So I held her and she began to howl and she passed at 1:30 this morning. I will bury her with some of her favorite toys beside the garage. She use to be with me when working on my cars and she loved to go for ride in the vert. 

The other pup kept walking around the bed last night looking for her. This morning he went everywhere looking for her. I have her in laundry and showed him he does not understand why she has not come to play with him. So sad she was the best little 6 lb. pup ever. When I lived in China a friend took care of her. She had a pit bull and they became best friends. This tiny little pup would stand on her hind legs and bite the pit bull on the neck and go running around her legs and bite on the leg. They would sleep together. My daughter use to keep her some and she was best friends with a cat there. 

She would not let nurse of anyone get close to my mom would have to take her in another room to be able to check her out. You could not get near me or she would attack. 

Her name was Prissy from the way she walked so prissy.

Pups are like car one is not enough so will see what I can find this week for a new friend for Whiskers to have fun with.

Oh man, breaks your heart when your pets pass away :( Been there couple of times with Dogs, I was in bits when my last Dog passed away.

They are just so loyal and just want to please.

We got another rescue dog within a month, I was really not sure, but have to say it was a good move. We have Mastiff X breeds

Meet Dodge

24871136899_547403a4a7_z.jpg

Back