What did you do today instead of working on your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a new clutch in the diesel pickup yesterday.  Lots of room to work, but the transmission alone weighs 310 pounds.  Flywheel with disk and pressure plate is right around 100 pounds.  I'm a little sore today from wrestling everything.  The new "2,000" lb rated Harbor Freight transmission jack was excellent considering that buying anything from Harbor Fright is a gamble.  The 2,000 pound weight rating is laughable though, it seemed just right for handling a 310 pound New Venture Gear 5600.  My guess is that at 2001 pounds it would wad up like a ball of foil.

New clutch is nice, still getting used to the different engagement point in the clutch travel.  Went with a South Bend Clutch with two oversize heavy duty organic facings.  Engagement is silky smooth just like a stock clutch, but it should hold a little better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put my boat in the water for the it's maiden voyage on Friday, got back to my driveway and noticed the wheel a little forward on the trailer. The leaf spring snapped and the axle is just dancing around  :whistling: .. I ordered new springs and will be getting an axle soon. Got the boat ready to drop the axle out and rebuilt the carburetors today. It starts right up with no throttle input now, which it has never done before. I can't wait to take it out again  ::thumb::

I did also finish assembling the bottom end of the mustang today so there's that. 

K1tkmvrl.jpg

VupmIDIl.jpg

Doh!

That is a nasty looking leaf spring.
The trailer is from 74 so I guess it was original.. luckily the ramp is up the block from me!

I had the pleasure of spending the weekend with this fine automobile. I guess you can say I'm Shelby sitting. A good friend of mine is deployed for 8 months and wants me to take Shelby the out once a month to burn up a tank of fuel. This is a tough task guys but don't worry I got this.  :cool: Klay had a 2011 Gt that sat for 6-7 months with no start ups. When he got home the car ran like crap because of our crappy California gas. So he does not want this to happen the 350.  Fortunately his wife does not know to drive stick so I''m next in line he trust with his awesome ride. His brother is not to happy with me rite now. rofl  

I must say this car does EVERYTHING very well. I'll leave with you guys what everything means !!  :D

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_1977.JPG

Pulled the boat trailer axle. Should be getting the leaf springs and enough parts to put my 351c together tomorrow so it should be a good day. 

Those gt350s are awesome cars. I'd love one in that non-metallic grey color.

Yybl7ngl.jpg

I grouted my little wet area in my new garage, moved the electrical socket and put up a radio so there's music again :) Phase 1 (creating a basic working environment) is nearly complete now, just need to put up the sink and find a small heater for warm water.

42bd0d44e5fdbee1722ec62a77201a19.jpg

I installed of these goofy unitized pre-bled clutch slave/master/line units in my daily driver pickup.  Quite the pain to fish the assembly from engine compartment to the bell housing.  Had to unbolt the cab mounts on one side and jack it up.

Now the clutch is 100%. 

Two repairs I had to do on my 05 Ford escape this summer:

1) replaced the alternator which is located underneath. Worst automotive repair I can remember ever having to do. You know it is bad when you have to drop the exhaust and remove a cv Shaft just to get to it and make room to remove it. My arms were very bruised and scratched after that job.

2) replaced the right rear inner wheel well which rusted away. That piece also includes the upper shock mount. Guess that is a common problem on the early models.

1) replaced the alternator which is located underneath. Worst automotive repair I can remember ever having to do. You know it is bad when you have to drop the exhaust and remove a cv Shaft just to get to it and make room to remove it. My arms were very bruised and scratched after that job.

2) replaced the right rear inner wheel well which rusted away. That piece also includes the upper shock mount. Guess that is a common problem on the early models.
The inner wheel well is very common repair on the 04-05 models only. And only on the passenger side. I have had to repair 3 of these over the years. The first time they didn't repop the inner fender so I had to make a ton of patches. Now they repop it and it's a pretty easy repair. Just did the last one about 2 weeks ago. 

front brakes on my son's Rav 4, Oil change on my daily driver 2015 Mustang GT, road trip 6 hours each way to get a machined 351 C engine block in said daily driver lol Big Car show in Atlanta Saturday morning. and all the other normal household chores

Painted the figure 8 / derby car. 

that rules!

I got my new springs in, I ordered the wrong hardware but found the right stuff locally. After 3 trips to ace and drilling out the spring mounts (theres still plenty of meat left, went from a 1/2" bolt to 9"16 but both are overkill) It's together. I also had to take my shifter apart because I couldn't get it into neutral only. All the screws were seized so they had to be drillled and one needs to be retapped to the next size up. BOATS ARE FUN  :shootself:

xRDsVIRl.jpg

NRdp4KEl.jpg

dRD1vWHl.jpg

The inner wheel well is very common repair on the 04-05 models only. And only on the passenger side. I have had to repair 3 of these over the years. The first time they didn't repop the inner fender so I had to make a ton of patches. Now they repop it and it's a pretty easy repair. Just did the last one about 2 weeks ago. 

Mine looked like that one for a while. Then the rust spread past my patches.Had about a 6x8 hole on the drivers side I had to take care of too.

Rehearsed with these guys. 

Hey, 

That sounds nice! You are the dude on the left right? Sorry, most of my attention went to the rather lovely singer ;-)

You guys play often?

Cheers,

Vincent.

Rehearsed with these guys. 

I'm the young, handsome guy. :)

Yes, she's easy on the eyes plus an extraordinary singer. 

We do play quite often, it's a semi professional band.

I handloaded for my 416 Remington for a bit of range time on Wednesday prepping for a hunt in Zimbabwe in a couple weeks.

Back