What Transmission Do I Have?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da55

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Fastback 351 V8
How will i be able to know what transmission i have? I have a 1973 Mustang. 351 Cleveland. 2V.

Upload a picture of your transmission pan and the sides of the transmission body. Most common would be a C6 or a FMX I reckon. But it could have been swapped out for something like a C4 sometime in the last 50+ years.

You can use the door tag or marty report to tell you what transmission was originally in your car. That doesn't mean thats whats still there.

1660428142747.png

I have to research on this transmission. Dont know anything about it.

Unfortunately the idiot that attempted to paint the car before i bought it, painted over the door plate.

The shifter also displays P-R-N-D-2-1. Its an automatic. Forgot to mention. Thanks for all yalls info.

Mine was painted over, too. I got a new one from Marti, as well as a Deluxe Report. The Deluxe Report will tell you what engine, transmission, rear end, paint color, interior, etc that your car came with.
It does appear that it is an FMX. One sure way to identify an FMX is that it will have a cast iron body, with a bolt on aluminum bellhousing and aluminum tailshaft. All others have aluminum bodies.
https://www.martiauto.com/martireports.cfm

That's an FMX

C4 - 3 pieces, all aluminum bellhousing, main case and tail shaft.
C6 - 2 pieces, all aluminum - main case and tail shaft (CJ and PI use iron tail)
FMX - 3 pieces - aluminum bell and tailhousing, iron maincase.

If there are four bolts holding the main housing to the bell housing—it’s an FMX. It can be pulled similar to a 4-speed by taking the four bolts out and leaving the bell house connected to the engine.

Back