which are the rarest options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought ford had 2 diff AM/FM's at the time...Sterio model and mono? Or am i wrong?
I have never hear that one. But hey I'm still learning.

I think AM's got the mono speaker in the dash and AM/FM stereo got door speakers. Not sure about if you ordered AM 8 track?

Ray

The radio was mono for am. The fm or 8 track model was stereo.

I researched this before at some point on here and posted about it. Maybe it was a WFQ on in the VIP forum (Upgrading to VIP membership has additional perks over regular membership). It seems like the answer was power steering if I remember correctly. Feel too lazy too look it up tonight...Auburn is currently playing after all. :D

I have always wondered what the single rarest option there was on our Mustangs?

Is it a specific color, or a part?

Does anyone know?
Kit-

So many different ways to slice and dice this info. Marti reports and his books help dig deeper. It is probably easier to break question into groups.

by year:

-Most rare regular production option (RPO)

-Most rare paint/trim combo

The engine/transmission combos are fairly well identified. I do wish Marti, in his book, differentiated between Grande from the hardtops and then Sportsroof from Mach 1's when they breakout the production numbers for the motor/transmissions. He lists

"HT FB CV" for hardtop, fastback and convertible respectively.

Then all you have to do is research everything at your disposal to get as close as possible at good, solid answers. ::thumb::

Ray

The radio was mono for am. The fm or 8 track model was stereo.
They made a mono AM/FM for 70's torino's and maverics.. I just ran into something about ford having 2 dif types of AM/FM's at the time..The mono version is bit rare i was reading in cars but was installed....And does not have stereo on the slider..Looks like link below..Just wondering.

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/uploads/955/AM_FM_mono_radio.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the rarest option was the Mach I convertible. I've seen a couple on E-Bay/Craigslist. Even Kevin Marti admits these aren't in his records!

Mach 1 convertibles certainly are rare, seeing as how Ford made zero examples of it. "05" is the body code for Mach 1, "03" the code for convertibles...can't have 2 body codes on one car.

Mach 1 Vert aaahhhh NO

Little surprised at the mention of power steering. I can easily see the rear defogger though.

Ford screwed up really badly when they made the dashpads that come out with the VIN so easily. Every one that I have ever seen claimed by VIN had mismatched VIN's to the dash VIN.

I believe the rarest option was the Mach I convertible. I've seen a couple on E-Bay/Craigslist. Even Kevin Marti admits these aren't in his records!
Which are just about as rare as the Mach 1 coupes - but they're out there... just like the '71-'73 non-351 Boss models as well. Seems like those were made especially for Ebay/Craigslist sales as well. rofl

Mach 1 convertibles certainly are rare, seeing as how Ford made zero examples of it. "05" is the body code for Mach 1, "03" the code for convertibles...can't have 2 body codes on one car.
Oh, the irony. rofl

Yep ZERO on the Mach 1 ragtops.

Never happened. One could order a convertible with as much of the Mach 1-ish stuff as possible - but never a true Mach 1 convertible.

It would be about equal to saying I have a Grande Mach 1! If anyone sees one - don't tell me! LOL

Ray

The engine/transmission combos are fairly well identified. I do wish Marti, in his book, differentiated between Grande from the hardtops and then Sportsroof from Mach 1's when they breakout the production numbers for the motor/transmissions. He lists

Ray
Yes, for '71 he lists 419 M-codes w/toploader.

If that were just Grande it would be 100, like the one below.

mike

Hey Ray... I do have a Grande Mach 1 and it's T5 to boot. Just look at a picture of my car and you'll see. I even have the rear spoiler on backwards, just like it's supposed to be...

Good one. LOL Maybe it will work if you drive backwards... Not that it really works that well in the correct position! But seriously any 4bbl coupe or Grande is cool to me and pretty rare. Sleeper muscle.

Ray

mike
Mike,

So your Marti breaks out 1971

mike
Mike,

So your Marti breaks out 1971

It reads one of one hundred with these transmission/engine codes.

My report is posted here somewhere.

mike

My Q code 4 speed is listed as 1 of 89 with this engine and tranny. It did come out as a 1 of 1, but that was because of the int/ext colors. I also have Marti posted here.
Like my 1/100, how many of our cars are still around?

My car came out 1 of 1 due to its 'heavy duty battery', whoopee!

I have to admit the fact this car is 1 of 100 has helped fuel the

"restoration" project, not Concours for sure, but a decent job.

It would be nice if Marti could find what happened to the other 88

cars like yours, or 99 like mine. After ~40 years you and I may own

the only examples still running. It is a huge responsibility.

mike

Back