which are the rarest options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a '73 351CJ Mach 1 "Q" code car. Power windows, C-6 trans, 3.25 locking 9" rear differential, Deluxe interior, Seat back releases and Seat Belt warning light/buzzer, Remote right side sport mirror, Tilt Wheel, am/fm radio (pretty standard), full length console, 14" Slotted aluminum wheels with caps, front and rear spoilers.

The "Q" code cars had staggered rear shock absorbers, rear factory sway bar.

This car was pretty optioned out.

Also have a '73 convertible with 351C 2V, power top, Yellow/White deluxe interior

mite have a electric seat release...mine has plugs under it too..but i just figured some one unhooked the seat ...cause i know ..its more than just in the seat belt...there is a sensor build under the seat..cause if you lift your butt up..the buzzer will go off..lol<~atleast it did in are old blue mach...my red one never had it working..not yet;)

I'm pretty sure my 73 vert has the seat belt buzzer but when I replaced the carpet last year and took the seats out I noticed that I had a bunch of cut wires....and a plug hanging from the seat bottom....

your q code built just like mine..lol...mine still gots the original 14 slotted mags sence i got it as a teen..powerwindows ..deluxe interior...c-6...ac..on and on..lol....i pulled my motor for the first time last year..and found all sorts of cool stuff still on it...has a power steering cooler i never noticed...and it had a stock little green 3,000 rpm stall converter in it...guess they did that cause at every stop light the q code automatic would drop on its face...heads and vavles too big..lol..but defenatly good for making alot of power with small mods:)

We have a '73 351CJ Mach 1 "Q" code car. Power windows, C-6 trans, 3.25 locking 9" rear differential, Deluxe interior, Seat back releases and Seat Belt warning light/buzzer, Remote right side sport mirror, Tilt Wheel, am/fm radio (pretty standard), full length console, 14" Slotted aluminum wheels with caps, front and rear spoilers.

The "Q" code cars had staggered rear shock absorbers, rear factory sway bar.

This car was pretty optioned out.

Also have a '73 convertible with 351C 2V, power top, Yellow/White deluxe interior

Last edited by a moderator:
Shelby europa wasn´t made in our years too??? I have a recall in my memory that there were about 5 or 6 cars and one guy in europe had 2 of them... They were shelby europa but i´m not sure if there were 70 or 71 cars...

I was pleasently suprised when I looked at my Mari report and it indicated 1 of 165 with the 4F Medium Lime Metallic paint and Deluxe Mach 1 interior. I would assume the option that probably put me over the top was the rear defrost. I noticed an earlier post regarding intermittent wipers. Mine is now equipped with intermittent wipers even though it did not come from the factory that way. I will share a little insider secret I learned in my home town that was that home of AMC. The wiper governer for the 71-73 mustang was the same wiper governor they used on AMC products all the way through the 70's. If you can get an intermittent switch (Mustang or Cougar) the AMC governor will plug right in the circuit. I did this conversion back in the late 80's when the switches were easy to find. Not the case anymore. Find the switch and you can usually find an AMC governor pretty easily.

It sounds like the OP wanted to know what rare options would make the car special (ie: more valuable).

The rarer options that would ACTUALLY increase the value of your car, generally

are high performance related: engine, transmission and styling related.

Examples: Boss 351, 429 engine, drag pack, 4-speed stick, ram-air, Mach1 fastback, convert., deluxe interior with all guages, good looking origional color combo.

Rare options like auto seat releases, cruise control, vinal roof on a fastback are nice to have but nobody will pay much extra for them. Pink paint with green interior would be ultra-rare, but not valuable.

Auto-trans was a nice option for commuting in traffic but an origional 4-speed is so rare and desireable now, it makes any v8 car more valuable.

Your options make the car certainly more rare and desireable than a standard coupe or even a standard Mach1 but (like my car) the 351/auto trans combo is pretty common. Although a 351c is much more desireable than a 302 or smaller engine. These cars are becoming more rare and hard to find in good condition every year. So it's probably best to keep it looking origional, especially if you are going to sell someday.
Amen brother! How bout a 1971/72 Shelby Europa here in the States with original pink and purple deluxe interior? Maybe the fugly cibie style front fog lamps are rare? Gotta love "Rare" Ford parts eh? All them sellers on fleabay would be paying off their home loans with these parts LOL!

Shelby europa wasn´t made in our years too??? I have a recall in my memory that there were about 5 or 6 cars and one guy in europe had 2 of them... They were shelby europa but i´m not sure if there were 70 or 71 cars...
1971 and 72. one of which had a big block and still not accounted for.

that option came with the convenience group, i think convertibles got that not sure about other body styles.

there was a option for 71 that listed a locking seat back.

rarest would also be the Wood grain center console.

and early 71 cars got Chromed grill sport lights on the mach 1.

my car is a run of the mill 72, 1 of 437.

in 73 due to emissions laws the V4 engine was not allowed to have ram air from the factory.
I have a wood grain center console It is in rough shape but if anyone is interested I'll post the pics

that option came with the convenience group, i think convertibles got that not sure about other body styles.

there was a option for 71 that listed a locking seat back.

rarest would also be the Wood grain center console.

and early 71 cars got Chromed grill sport lights on the mach 1.

my car is a run of the mill 72, 1 of 437.

in 73 due to emissions laws the V4 engine was not allowed to have ram air from the factory.
I have a wood grain center console It is in rough shape but if anyone is interested I'll post the pics
Is it actual wood inlay or decal? Cool stuff and can't say I've seen one before 72HCODE's.

I have heard the automatic seat release is rare.

It is listed as an "option" with the optional convenience group.

mike
I think it was James Bond.:D

intermittent wipers is pretty rare.

having rear defrost is also.

both used special timer circuits.

the seat release they got rid of in mid 71 but i think they equipped more cars with the release then the other options.

'H-code' with exhaust cut-out valance... apparently. rofl

Mine also came with the defroster, map, and hood lights... but no seat-back releases.

My car had thd seatback releases deleted from the pkg group, and I believe a $21 credit was on the monroney.

Strsngely, when I recovered the seats the first time in 1989, I discovered the actuators installed in the seatbacks and the pigtails taped to the seat frame.

The wire harness was already under the carpet along with the power seat wire harness. I simply plugged them in and they have worked perfectly ever since.

I could never figure oht why this came that way.

Here are some facts I put together based on info from Marti. This data is for 1973 Mustangs. For example, power windows came on 5.2% of all mustangs in 1973 or just one out of every 19 cars had them.

Jeff

% of Total 1 Out of X cars

Functional Ram Air 0.7% 150

Power Windows 5.2% 19

Instrumentation Group 10.1% 10

Locking Axle 10.7% 9

AM/8 Track Radio 16.1% 6

Rear Spoiler 16.5% 6

Rear Window Defroster 16.7% 6

AM/FM Radio 17.1% 6

Vinyl Roof 17.4% 6

Aluminum Wheels 17.5% 6

Fold Down Seat 26.2% 4

Raised White Letter Tires 40.1% 2

Interior Décor Group 46.9% 2

Air Conditioning 52.6% 2

Full Console 56.5% 2

AM Radio 58.7% 2

Front Disc Brakes 89.0% 1

Power Steering 92.6% 1

intermittent wipers is pretty rare.

having rear defrost is also.

both used special timer circuits.

the seat release they got rid of in mid 71 but i think they equipped more cars with the release then the other options.
I'd have to say intermittent wipers too. Marti's book, "Mustang by the Numbers" doesn't seem to list the intermittent wipers. Or if it does - I did not see where...

This same book lists Rear Window Defroster production option by year:

1971 6,578

1972 8,478

1973 16,289

Ray

Interesting that Marti's book does not include some data on some of the options like intermittent wipers... I agree they are pretty rare. Another one I thought of might be Deluxe Seat Belts?

Jeff

Back