Which Mustang Suppliers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73StangJK

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
351W, Tremec 3550
Howdy Everyone, I'm looking to get new carpets and shoulder belts for my 73 convertible. We had a rat running around in my Stang for a while which is wild. At least she didn't wreck it. :)

Which suppliers have you had good success with and who has the best quality carpets?

I think back in the day I used Dallas Mustangs, Mustang's Plus, and CJ's Pony Parts.

I have used NPD, CJ Pony, John's Mustang, and the other day I used Kentucky Mustangs as they were so much cheaper than anyone one else on exactly the same part. I have always had good results with all of them.
- NPD is usually the most expensive, but they have the most in stock inventory. $300 for free shipping
- CJ Pony is usually a tiny bit less than NPD, and they have a good availability of parts. $80 for free shipping
- John's Mustang is usually more expensive than NPD and CJ Pony, they do not have as many parts available, but they are in Texas and I can get parts next day. For oversize or freight items they end up being a LOT cheaper for me as I am in the same state. $80 free shipping
- Kentucky Mustang was a lot less on the repo steering wheel and TS wiring harness that I just bought. With a discount code I saved easily over $150. Parts came in fast, but I have only bought once from them. Their in stock inventory is not as good as NPD or CJ Pony IMHO.

The service from all these companies in my experience has been good. They all ship fast and pack parts well. I have not had any issues with any of them. I had a small issue with NPD, but it was my fault as I typed my email incorrectly.

- CJ Pony is usually a tiny bit less than NPD, and they have a good availability of parts. $80 for free shipping
I've had CJ Pony sell "in stock" items that they really didn't have. They decided to backorder them without telling me.
I've had them shit items that got damaged in transit. I had to wait on hold 90 minutes to get through to a person.
They are not my first choice. I've had them get several order right but the experience when something goes wrong is less than stellar.

Top Flight Automotive - similar situation. I ordered a bunch of sheet metal for my car. 9 months later they still hadn't shipped it. They at least answer the phone fairly quickly and getting a refund wasn't hard.

I've had CJ Pony sell "in stock" items that they really didn't have. They decided to backorder them without telling me.
I've had them shit items that got damaged in transit. I had to wait on hold 90 minutes to get through to a person.
They are not my first choice. I've had them get several order right but the experience when something goes wrong is less than stellar.

Top Flight Automotive - similar situation. I ordered a bunch of sheet metal for my car. 9 months later they still hadn't shipped it. They at least answer the phone fairly quickly and getting a refund wasn't hard.
You kind of have to be careful with CJ Pony when you order as they will list an item for sale, even though they do not have it. My experience with NPD is that they will just not list it on their website. CJ Pony will put a little "IN STOCK: and a green check mark" after the "in stock" message on parts they have in stock, but if the part is not in stock it will just not say nothing, or it will say ships from manufacturer, but it will be hard to notice the message. I have had what happened to you happen to me once, where I ordered parts that they did not have in stock. I now double check everything before I order to make sure that it says " In Stock: and the green checkmark". Since I have been doing that I have had no issues, but I have never had to call them for anything yet so I have no idea what their customer service looks like.

+2 on CJ Pony and parts availability - You have to look closely. If you do need to call them, be prepared for long hold times. Otherwise, not bad. I like NPD for the broad availability, and I have bought from Kentucky Mustang several times. I like Kentucky Mustang a lot - good prices and reasonably fast shipping. The accuracy of their online inventory seems to be pretty good. I've used Don from OMS for odd or hard-to-find pieces and like them too.

73 Mustang Convertible only has lap belts. no shoulder... that I know of, unless is was an option.
You are correct. That was not an option available from the factory. It's a combination of the high back seats and the height of the rear quarter panel thingy. lol

So you are saying it is available as an aftermarket item in a similar design to newer cars?

My go-to catalog stores are NPD and Virginia Classic Mustang, primarily for their excellent service, return policies, and stocking policies. Don at OMS is the go-to place for 7123 parts, both new and used, and he'll tell you which are good and what to avoid. And then, there's West Coast Cougar Classics for used parts (and new) that can be used in Mustangs. Their website has a "crap" icon that indicates don't buy this, which is extremely useful. And their videos are of excellent quality and humorous as well.

73 Mustang Convertible only has lap belts. no shoulder... that I know of, unless is was an option.
I cannot find the link, sigh, but someone, someplace, self-made a bar that runs behind the front seats to secure a shoulder belt at the right height. There are issues with getting the height wrong and compressing the spine. The bar was somewhat similar to a roll bar. I saw a picture, here perhaps, of someone who did a roll bar with an attachment for a shoulder belt. This is one of the issues I had about getting one of these for my son as a daily driver, but his mom took his side and the money was from an inheritance from her aunt. As little character as most modern cars have compared to these, they are a lot safer.

Back