72 Mach1 H.O.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakebite8

Reaction score
My Car
67-fastback gt k-code
72-mach 1 HO
Well a guy that I have been dropping notes off on his door finally got in touch with me. Turns out its a 72 Mach 1 with a H.O. Option. It has ram air , ginger interior, and rear spoiler. Cars rust is not that bad. I will be stopping by this weekend to see if we can get the car running. The rev. Limiter is gone. Exterior is medium yellow. Having problems loading pics from my iPod. Hoping to show u what I seem so I Can make an offer

Another

One more

Another one

The part of the car

Another oic

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not, I repeat do not try to get the car running before you buy it. Two reasons...

1. You get it running then the guy thinks "Wow, this ar still runs. Ah the memories I had in it." then says after all your hard work... "I think I want to keep it and restore it."

Happened to me once when I wanted to buy a 65 2+2 that had been sitting for decades. Got it to fire up after several hours work only for the guy to say he now wants to keep it since it runs. Then there is no payment or your labor. You just got it running for the guy for free!

2. If you get it running, the price just doubled because it's a running car now.

Looks like an early 72. Double check the VIN. Good luck!

Looks like someone cloned a 71 BOSS351 out of a 72 351 HO. Used a rare, valuable car to make a fake version of another rare, valuable car. No matter, all can be easily corrected during a restoration. That car deserves a quality restoration.

I thi.k I would keep it in BOSS351 trim...just to keep it more interesting visually.

You need to buy that car!

Did they put a chrome bumper on the front too? It looks like they put a 71 Hurst handle on it. The rim blow wheel appears to be in good shape. That is a great find. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also do not start it because it may run for just a bit and then go boom.

Rusty walls, stuck rings, and gunked up oil pumps can do bad things real fast. It may also decide to leak fuel and burn to the ground right in front of you! Exciting but not cool.

Go there - pay the man - haul it home. Get the money in his hands a quick as possible and then load it up like the wind and get out of there.

Paul of Mo

Looks like a flat 71-style "Hurst" shifter rod.

I believe all the 72 4-speeds came with round "Hurst" shifter rods.

That's OK...just makes the "BOSS351" look more acurate!

very true. What do u think is a good price for the car it self?

I like to get 'em cheap!

The car looks rough, and will need a LOT of expensive bodywork to make it "right". A half-assed resto will only further reduce it's value.

I assume it is all as bad as the stuff that we can see in the pictures looks. Figure an easy $20,000 to make it right, maybe even $25,000.

I'd offer $2000 as it sits, and go no higher than $4000. With a clear title and numbers-matching block and equipment, of course.

Last edited:
If the ram air is intact and the wheels are true they would be worth almost $2k alone. If the block is the real HO it is a N block and would be worth some change also. Of course restored a real HO is valuable as mentioned above. Should be worth at least $5k as it sits. Get it running at home and you double your money. Or go into the parts business and sell me the block.

the guy wants 6k for it. I was going to offer 5k and try to stick to that price. but i was thinking he would do 5.5k for it. is the vin staped on the block?

Of course, everyone knows parts are worth more seperately than the whole car is together...no new news there.

Yeah, the car might be "worth" $5000 as it sits, but where is the "deal" in that?

Anybody can just go out and buy anything for what its worth. Getting a deaql on it is what makes it so special.

Of course none of those parts are worth anything just sitting there rotting away.

$2500 cash that the seller has in is hand today is "worth" far more than a potential $5000 he may never get if the right buyer doesn't come along.

You can go just about anywhere and find probably any kind of rare project car you want at any time. Thay all have a high "potential" value, but that can only be reached if restored correctly. Other than that, its just an expensive, almost-nice old Mustang.

My wife's brother had a 69 428 SCJ 4-speed Mach 1 sitting in his garage from the day I met her (in 1985) until the day he sold the car for $5,000 last year.

He had it as a kid, wrecked it (damaged the fender and front suspension) and garaged it ever since. I offerd him $5,000 as it sits and then eventually $10,000 for it many, many times.

When he finally was willing to sell it to me, I cooled on it. Those cars have come down, they are not the $50,000 sure-things they used to be 15 years ago.

He struggled for a year to find a buyer, and I ended up putting him together with a buyer for it.

So for all his measly "waiting for the right buyer" bull and such, he ended up with $5000 for a car he stored for 25+ years in his garage, and then dumped it without getting one iota of enjoyment from it,. Big whoop.

So, for basically $16 a month, he let "someone else" store that car in his garage for 25 years.

Offer him a lowball and don't be surprised when he snaps it up![/u]

true very true. I would hate to insult the guy 2, and miss out on the chance to own the car. seeing that only 398 built and only a few still out there. maybe starting at 4k. see how it goes from there. i will just bring cash with me.

100 dollar bills speak for themselves...4k is a good price for it. If I owned it and you offered me 2500...you would be leaving my property real fast

yup, I was selling a fox-body mustang and the guy came to look at it. I had my garage door open and he seen my 67 mustang fastback gt k-code. we started to about the 67, and after he took the car for a test drive. I was asking 2500 for the fox-body. He came back and made an offer of 1500 for the car and told me he would give me 3500 for both cars. I told him he could just forget both cars and took the keys back and walked into the garage and closed the garage. He was a used car saleman, I did know that before he came to look at it , but he really missed me off by making that offer. plus the 67 was not for sale in the first place.

That roof pillar / roof rust is fugly and is a sign of some really bad things.

That being said you set the max price that you are truly willing to pay and offer it. If he says no then wish him luck on selling it and to contact you if it he can't find a buyer. I have lost more cars by low balling someone only to find out it sold later on for I price that I was more than willing to pay. I do not do that anymore.

4K for this car seems like a steal - if he is at 5 and you are already at 4500.00 in your head then just pay him the 5 and start enjoying it.

There is nearly no way to see the vin on the block with it in the car. If it is not original then someone took some extraordinary effort to make everything look correct and unmolested.

I like this car a lot for 5K. For 5K I would park it in my shop just to look at it.

Paul of MO

yea for 5k i will get the car driving and moving and use it the way it is. I would restore it after i completed my 67. car would be great to use on the weekends and once in awhile to work

Back