72 Mach 1 Rear Window Louvers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
351C 2v
FMX
I am currently restoring a 72 Mach 1. What is everyone's opinion on rear window louvers? Were they available as an option? I've seen both yes and no on that. A new set came with the car when I bought it. I kind of like the look but don't want to stray too far from stock.

Similar threads previously posted:

http://bit.ly/1NERJre

Used the search box in the upper right corner - subject has been discussed a BUNCH.

Hope this helps.

For me - I don't care for them on our 71-3s. Never offered as a Ford accessory for our cars.

I DO like them on 69-70 Mustangs and 70-71 Torinos.

Ray

Similar threads previously posted:

http://bit.ly/1NERJre

Used the search box in the upper right corner - subject has been discussed a BUNCH.

Hope this helps.

For me - I don't care for them on our 71-3s. Never offered as a Ford accessory for our cars.

I DO like them on 69-70 Mustangs and 70-71 Torinos.

Ray
I will be blunt. I am not a fan of the look. In the same league as putting on lift shackles. But hey, just my opinion. :angel:

First of all, Welcome to 7173Mustangs.com. When you get some time, head on over to the Introductions forum and post up a thread about your and your car so we can properly welcome you to the site! Show us some pics as well, we love pictures of the Big Mustangs ::thumb::

With regards to the louvers, I have a set on mine... and I need to get some up-to-date pictures of it as well. I think they look cool, and I'm not worried about visibility because I have a back-up camera installed.

I love the look and love the way they keep the temperature down in the car. The slats are horizontal so they not affect visibility. I bought mine in the 80's. They are a Hammond brand louvers. Ford did not provide louvers out of the factory.

The only downside I see to these is the fact that the decklid will hit the lower slat if you open it all the way. Some louver manufacturers for our cars got past this by "flattening" the final louver so the deck lid would clear the louvers. I believe this is the reason they discontinued Louvers for 71. The 69-70 Fastbacks have a metal panel between the rear glass and the deck lid. This gives enough room for the deck lid to open without louver interference.

kcmash

This is a subject I've always debated myself, first no they were never available on 71 73 sport roofs. Yes I have them on my car and yes I like the way they look. Mine are about 20 yrs old and I've been told that the new ones are less then stellar quality. That said I've also been told the opposite as well so I guess that's a crap shoot. I've always thought when it comes to things like this it's up to your own taste. I've had them off and on many times the difference is two sided tape and a little cursing.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, Welcome to 7173Mustangs.com. When you get some time, head on over to the Introductions forum and post up a thread about your and your car so we can properly welcome you to the site! Show us some pics as well, we love pictures of the Big Mustangs ::thumb::

With regards to the louvers, I have a set on mine... and I need to get some up-to-date pictures of it as well. I think they look cool, and I'm not worried about visibility because I have a back-up camera installed.
Back up camera, that's cool...When I'm backing up, I usually close my eyes and hope for the best

Well I goes through this almost every year (sometimes more then once a year) I took the louvers off a bout a month ago and now I'm contemplating whether or not to put them back on. My problem is I like my car with or with out them and that makes it hard to decide, so I'm going to poll myself and see which look wins pros vs. cons. You can all join in and feel free to add to my list.

1. I like the additional shade in the back window on hot days 1. I hate the rattle they make when I shut the door

2. I love the muscle car look they add to the car. 2. I love the clean look of the car without them

3. I like how people can't see inside the car from behind. 3. Visibility on these cars are bad enough without adding lovers.

4. They are cool and my entire life that has always been important 4. They make washing the rear window a pain.

I give up it seems I need help.

OK - I actually did get the updated pics, so here they are:

The back-up camera, clipped onto the rear view mirror):

attachment.php

The view out the back from the driver side quarter window:

attachment.php

The louvers on the car:

attachment.php

carshow2015-2.jpg

Close-up:

attachment.php

I like 'em. ::thumb::

Wow that is so awesome pictures of your beautiful Ride ? [THUMBS UP SIGN] But how is those louvers being hold on to the window? Just curious about them? Regards Lars

Sendt fra min D2005 med Tapatalk
Thanks, Lars! :cool:

At the top of the window, the hinges are mounted to flat pieces of aluminum - also along the sides where the hold-down fasteners are located. Those aluminum pieces stick to the glass with 3M double-sided tape.

In the last picture, I added a couple pieces of windlace on the louver edges for the trunk lid to touch, rather than the edge of the metal louver slats themselves.

I'm with Eric, I like em!!! I can still see out the back good enough and that's what the side mirrors are for. As far as cleaning goes, its not that bad.....twist 2 locks, flip them up, clean window, flip down, twist 2 locks. Takes less than 5 min.

My car with out......

29bydrt.jpg

ml2yki.jpg

And with...... much better with IMHO!::thumb::

169gup0.jpg

w1sa9u.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I Like Them to [emoji8][emoji12][emoji41][emoji106] But I Like the Way that the 69/70 years were done? Because it Looks More Right for classic Cars?That is what I Would Make on Mine if I ever will [emoji41][emoji106] Regards Lars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Regards DK73

My '71 Mach 1 429 doesn't have rear window louvers, but I have to say I really like the look. They look particularly well on cars with the ram air hood blackout. I'm 52, and the look I grew up with was rear window louvers, traction bars (there is another recent thread on those), Cragar S/S / Keystone Classics / aluminum slots, and under-hood components replaced. I have to say that now I enjoy the appearance of a factory air cleaner under the hood, but those old enough to remember know that this was one of the first things thrown in the dump back in the 1970's. My GTO back then didn't have it, and none of my friend's cars had a factory air cleaner either (Mach 1, Chevelle SS, Buick GS, etc.). I have to say that part of me still likes the look of rear tires extending past the wheel openings, because that was a bad-ass look in the 1970's. I even like green interiors. ::thumb::

As I was reading this thread I thought of the set of louvers I have had in storage and actually, have owned since the early 90's. I had these on (and off) my previous '71 Mach J code during the 18 years I owned the car. I always liked the look...

Now, with my current project, they won't quite fit....

I have misplaced the attaching pieces but these were not NASA rocket type pieces anyway, easy to make something or you may be able to buy something aftermarket.

If someone really wants to add these to their car, they are yours for the shipping costs only. I only ask that you be genuine in your desire to have and use these on your car.

I'm not sure how to go about picking who gets them, I would really like to help our offshore friends who work extra hard to keep these cars on the road in their home countries... Let me know. Send me a pm and I will be happy to try and move these to someone who can use them.

Cheers.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Back