Battery orientation??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Hey guys I have been noticing that the battery seems to be in a different way in numerous cars. Did they change the way the battery was oriented in different years?? What is the correct way?? Positive terminal towards front of car or towards rear of car??  I bought the factory correct repop battery cables and the positive terminal is only long enough to reach the positive terminal if its facing rear of car.  But like I said I have seen various car in both configurations.  Just curious!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys I have been noticing that the battery seems to be in a different way in numerous cars. Did they change the way the battery was oriented in different years?? What is the correct way?? Positive terminal towards front of car or towards rear of car??  I bought the factory correct repop battery cables and the positive terminal is only long enough to reach the positive terminal if its facing rear of car.  But like I said I have seen various car in both configurations.  Just curious!

See pics in your other post.

It may depend on the battery. Are some made with the terminals opposite to this one and mine? I don't know, never even thought about it. I just replaced mine with one the same as I took out. However, thinking about it, it would be safer for the + to be inward to avoid the possibility of shorting out on the body.

I believe they all came with the positive terminal to the rear. I believe what happens is that people get the wrong battery, like a Group 24, instead of a Group 24F. The Group 24 and 27 batteries have the terminals opposite of Group 24F and 27F batteries. If a Group 24 battery were installed with the positive terminal closest to the solenoid the positive terminal would be next to the fender apron.

I believe they all came with the positive terminal to the rear. I believe what happens is that people get the wrong battery, like a Group 24, instead of a Group 24F. The Group 24 and 27 batteries have the terminals opposite of Group 24F and 27F batteries. If a Group 24 battery were installed with the positive terminal closest to the solenoid the positive terminal would be next to the fender apron.
 Thanks from me Don. Good info there.

So, if the + terminal was close to the solenoid like on a G24, not G24F, the cap I have would place the "Autolite" facing toward the engine, which might look better to a viewer? Just wondering .

Geoff.

24F or 27F will place the positive closest to the solenoid and away from the fender apron. An incorrectly oriented positive cable could ground out on the apron if the battery is oriented with the terminals by the apron.

Sounds good thanks guys..... so the way I have it in the pic above is correct?
That's the way I see it, thus keeping the + terminal away from any possibility of accidental grounding.

And yes as Don @OMS shows, you and I are missing the little bracket.

Geoff.

That's the way I see it, thus keeping the + terminal away from any possibility of accidental grounding.

Geoff.
That is correct.  The biggest shorting problem with the positive toward the core support is trying to loosen the terminal with a wrench.  you are sure to hit something and spark it .

kcmash

Geoff.
That is correct.  The biggest shorting problem with the positive toward the core support is trying to loosen the terminal with a wrench.  you are sure to hit something and spark it .

kcmash
You always remove the ground first. Thomas Edison convince Henry Ford that using a Postive Ground was better than a Negative ground. He said spark plugs would last longer, lol. The Flatheads had a positive ground. I was at a show with a 1950 Ford and guy ask me if I ever had battery issues and I said no never. He said he could not keep a battery. I went and looked and he had it hooked up backwards with a negative ground. I think Edsel Ford changed the way Henry had it, lol.

Batteries are mostly DC, although there might be some hiding in a closet that are AC. We are talking sexual orientation here, no?

Back