Stock distribution block

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Grande
Can someone tell me if this distribution block is the one installed on a 73 with manual drum brakes all the way around?

I'm asking because I'm adding front disc brakes and a power booster using the kit from Leed Brakes.  None of the hard lines they provided to connect the M/C to the distribution block or the adjustable proportioning valve are even close.

I'm wondering if the distribution black was replaced at some point or the lines are just the wrong ones. The upgrade went very smoothly until now. All I have left to do is install the lines and bleed the brakes and I'm done.

Thanks,

Mike

I do not have a drum car but I believe that they are different for each. The master cylinder has 1" bore on drum and 15/16" for PDB.
I figured the distribution blocks were different between disc and drum brakes. There are all sorts of different ones shown on the internet too. None of them look exactly like the one I have as far as I can tell.

I guess I'll have to take a shot at fabricating the lines myself.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The drums and disk/drums used different combination/distribution valve, D0OZ-2B257-B for drums and D0OZ-2B257-C for disk/drums. I don't have drums brakes, either, so can't measure them to see what the fitting sizes are.

You can go to the West Coast Classic Cougars site, it looks like they show all of the fitting sizes for each type:

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=D1Z%20distribution%20block
I believe I have all of the correct fittings to fit the different size connections. The lines that came with the kit have the correct fittings on them already, they just don't reach from the M/C to the distribution block or from the distribution block to the adjustable proportioning valve. The bends are incorrect and/or the lines are too short.

I plan on cutting the lines to remove their fittings and then building new lines using those.

Mike

I do not have a drum car but I believe that they are different for each. The master cylinder has 1" bore on drum and 15/16" for PDB.
I figured the distribution blocks were different between disc and drum brakes. There are all sorts of different ones shown on the internet too. None of them look exactly like the one I have as far as I can tell.

I guess I'll have to take a shot at fabricating the lines myself.

Mike
i replaced all the brake lines  from the master to the distribution block is not that hard   i found that if you anneal  (heat up the lines  with a propane torch ) they bend a lot easier  and i found a flair tool on amazon that worked very well for not a lot of cash 

@nailpounder: thanks for the annealing tip! ::thumb:: I have access to a hand bender and flaring tool.

These are the 2 lines that run from the master cylinder to the distribution block. 

I'm wondering if I should add the loops to the lines or just make straight shots with the correct angles?

Any suggestions?

Mike

The loops are there for a reason. They relieve stress when the body moves around. If you put in straight lines any body movement will pull on the lines, making them act like the shock tower brace, which could lead to line, flare, combination valve, or fitting failure.

The loops are there for a reason. They relieve stress when the body moves around. If you put in straight lines any body movement will pull on the lines, making them act like the shock tower brace, which could lead to line, flare, combination valve, or fitting failure.
Thanks Don. That's what I read on the web.

I guess I'll be adding loops then. Can't wait to see what these look like.

Mike

Here is a picture of the 73 front disc and rear drum power brake proportioning valve and below that is a 1970 all drum manual brake proportioning valve. Yours looks just like the 73 Disc/drum brake power brake valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
@rackerm

>>Here is a picture of the 73 front disc and rear drum power brake proportioning valve and below that is a 1970 all drum manual brake proportioning valve. Yours looks just like the 73 Disc/drum brake power brake valve.

They're all starting to look alike to me!

So either the one I have is a replacement and they used a disc/drum instead of a drum/drum, which I would imagine is a good thing for me since I've added front discs and a power booster, or it's the correct one and they just look too much alike to tell the difference.

Either way the lines that came with the kit won't reach (unless someone knows of a way to stretch them) so i have to make new ones.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Mike

Back