73-2014 swap

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only tunnel change is relocate the sifter hole further back, I actually have the tunnel section out of the car if I want to use it, but the 6R80 went right in.

Really nice work :-)

For knowing your limit you have to pass it ::thumb::

Looks like a great project. There is a time lapse video / photo on youtube of someone doing an earlier mustang blend of old and new. It goes from start to driving. Will have to look it up and maybe put link. In today's world will probably bring more than a restored example. 

You will probably inspire more to do this. Will eliminate lots of problem areas in current car. 

The engine bay of the 71-73 should take about any engine out there. I think it was designed to accomidate the Boss 429. 

I am no expert but the farther back you can sit the engine the better the car will handle for sure. Seems like rule of thumb was to have second spark plug from front in line with the spindles. 

Look at a AC Cobra how far back the engine is or even the 55 - 57 T-birds. Almost the whole engine is behind the spindles if I remember correct.

Great job.

I see you are in N.C. so I think when you go to get title, tag up to date you will need the Bill of Sale for the drive train from donor and of course your VIN # and info from the 73. They might even assign a new VIN# and DOT inspect the car.

I couldn't find the time lapse of the build but I think this is one of the cars they built. He does as a business.

That guy doing the selfie/video looks like the old Mustang Medic guy.  Probably because it IS! 

Anyway - thanks David for posting this.  That car sure looks quick.

Good luck on the 2014 - 1973 swap.  Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

• 1 month later...

Damn I love it man, awesome work! That engine looks perfect in there! Did you not have to notch the shocktowers are anything? Looks like it fits like a glove, I really like where you are going! Keep up the good work :D

Daniel ::thumb::

Pro-Touring 1973 Mustang named ''Creator'' ... :P

Under construction!!

Damn I love it man, awesome work! That engine looks perfect in there! Did you not have to notch the shocktowers are anything? Looks like it fits like a glove, I really like where you are going! Keep up the good work :D

From a previous reply by the OP.

Rob no notching it’s tight about 1.5” on each side

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been kind of slow going, not had much time did manage To go over to my guy and get 2 doors, going to use the locking mechanism and power windows out it plus the side mirrors , everyone knows those door mounted mirrors suck. Cut the mounts out of the old doors and tacked them on the 73, I really like the look plus they usable

A3-DFB631-49-ED-4-FD2-A993-B48-DF227-B1-A6.jpg

E9-A52-D56-0-E69-4157-90-C9-A6870-BE5-EEA3.jpg

9-D791456-2179-498-C-A91-A-8-DE58-EE4-F983.jpg

• Like 2

Let us know how the glass cut goes. I've always heard that after the side and rear glass was tempered it couldn't be cut. Is there some way to un-temper it?

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

I like the old style better, you can do them body color, too. If I did switch it would be for the Kindig style handles

https://www.kindigitapparel.com/collections/kindig-it-parts

Because of the price I would probably make my own.

• Like 1

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

First off, amazing work there. I vote the old handles as well but maybe lose the door lock. I think you want to keep most of the old personality of the car intact but add all the creature comforts and tech of the new ones. Its a fine line and obviously subject to personal opinion but the only drastic outside change I have ever liked on these cars is when I saw someone change the tail lamps out to shelby style.

• Like 1

I'd vote new ones. I don't like how the old ones feel. New ones also look better I think.

You're doing a great job btw, very interesting project you got going there!

Cheers,

Vincent.

I like the new style handles, that would look good. But if I had to say something about the mirrors, then I would have cut the plastic triangle of and made a bracket to be placed in what’s left of the plastic and installed it in the original position where the original mirror are placed :)

Daniel ::thumb::

Pro-Touring 1973 Mustang named ''Creator'' ... :P

Under construction!!

Not much to show, did get the door harnesses installed

78-F12956-9443-49-EF-921-F-E48422624-EE6.jpg

Are you not worried that the big hole will weaken the structure too much?

I like the old style better, you can do them body color, too. If I did switch it would be for the Kindig style handles

https://www.kindigitapparel.com/collections/kindig-it-parts

Because of the price I would probably make my own.

Wow! Kindig is proud of his parts!  I wonder if you could use actual Tesla model 3 door handles.  I looked on ebay.  You can pick them up for about $100 each.  They are electric switches instead of mechanical so you would need door lock actuators but they are cheap and if you are going to shave the locks anyway that seems like a cool way to go.

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Thanks guys for your I put I am leaning towards new handles just extra work,

Vinnie the panel there is double wallled and I am going to weld them together like a tunnel so I hope it’s not to much

H'mm.  More work, less chrome.  I'm definitely in the more shiney stuff camp.  New ones would be a cleaner look if thats the priority.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...