https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/san-ramon-1973-ford-mustang-convertible/7123468540.html

Dang, $50K for this one?  I wonder if the claims are true.  For certain the side stripes are wrong, and the engine bay looks a bit rough for a car with only 3k miles.

Jason (71 Mach 1, 351C 4V, 4 Spd. Toploader, Grabber Blue)

yes same car, It was also posted a few months back on here as well.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/san-ramon-1973-ford-mustang-convertible/7123468540.html

Dang, $50K for this one?  I wonder if the claims are true.  For certain the side stripes are wrong, and the engine bay looks a bit rough for a car with only 3k miles.

The side stripes are correct.

John - 72 Q Code

That looks like a Bulls**t car. No way that's a 3K car more like 103K. Stripes are wrong for a 73. I bet it's been painted at least once.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

I saw that yesterday and thought about posting it here. Could have sworn 73s never had the hockey stick stripes, so I guess that just confirms it.

What's this nonsense about the '73s never having hockey-stick style side stripes?

s-l1600-4.jpg

That looks like a Bulls**t car. No way that's a 3K car more like 103K. Stripes are wrong for a 73. I bet it's been painted at least once.

I saw that yesterday and thought about posting it here. Could have sworn 73s never had the hockey stick stripes, so I guess that just confirms it.

The hockey stick stripes were available in '73 and required the Exterior Decor Group option as well - just like 1972. Whoever ordered this one threw the option book at it. Be nice to see a Marti Report.

This was a common practice in '73, with the V8 Mustang, and the convertible, going away. There are a bunch of examples of dealerships ordering loaded to the hilt convertibles and sitting on them. IIRC, Bob Perkins has two, one blue and one green.

I would call BS on the "barn find" buzz word. It probably sat int he owner's garage.

• Like 1

Always hard to tell from a screen... would love to see under the car pics... The console ash tray cover looks worn. Battery cables changed out, host of other little tell tale signs in the engine bay. Definitely original paint. At least on the trunk lid... Hood blackout looks near perfect. That question of what air cleaner lid comes into play as it is not a chrome lid... Beautiful car none the less and unless they can verify the mileage, priced too high IMO.

• Like 1

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

What's this nonsense about the '73s never having hockey-stick style side stripes?

s-l1600-4.jpg

I know that "hockey stripes" get used a lot as, let's face it, they just look right on these cars, but I guess I did learn something new today!!

Thanks for the lesson.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Always hard to tell from a screen... would love to see under the car pics... The console ash tray cover looks worn. Battery cables changed out, host of other little tell tale signs in the engine bay. Definitely original paint. At least on the trunk lid... Hood blackout looks near perfect. That question of what air cleaner lid comes into play as it is not a chrome lid... Beautiful car none the less and unless they can verify the mileage, priced too high IMO.

From what I remember, the 73 Q codes did not come with the chrome air cleaner lid.  Car looks nice for sure.

Stripes were available and correctly explained how in a few earlier posts.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

From what I remember, the 73 Q codes did not come with the chrome air cleaner lid.  Car looks nice for sure.

Ray

I would have to politely disagree with that thought... I believe early ‘73’s came with the chrome lid. My early November ‘72 built Q Code Coupe has the chrome lid and its original Ford label still affixed to it. I have had other Q Codes with chrome lids.

Ray

I would have to politely disagree with that thought... I believe early ‘73’s came with the chrome lid. My early November ‘72 built Q Code Coupe has the chrome lid and its original Ford label still affixed to it. I have had other Q Codes with chrome lids.

My February built Q code has its original painted lid.532037-F8-6753-43-E2-952-D-CE2-F76720-E1-A.jpg

I ordered a stripe kit yesterday. It was advertised as 1971-72 mach 1 kit. So.........some of the no 73's have the hockey stick is due to the way its been advertised. Advertising can make us believe what we are not sure of.

I say the car has more miles than that as well. Did they say where the barn was at? if its in Michigan than 10 miles on the salt roads and park it for 15 years? that will age the old girl.

Ray

My February built Q code has its original painted lid.532037-F8-6753-43-E2-952-D-CE2-F76720-E1-A.jpg

3-F2602-BF-0-C9-C-4207-973-D-FADA14-B83016.jpg

I personally have never seen a 1973 Q with the chrome air cleaner. The Ford assembly line instructions do not show the double opening type air cleaner that they have, cold air on L.H. also. To run that air cleaner Ford would need to have ran the 40,000 mile federal test on the test track to qualify it. If they did not do the Ram Air for 73 Q I do not think they would do two air cleaners for the 4-V either. The chrome was sort of a part of the CJ, Cobra Jet lore that went away during late 1972 model run.

It might be possible that the air cleaner came from another Ford line of vehicles. Or could be made for one of the late 72 Q builds when Ford dropped the CJ designation and went with 4-V. 

I did finally find a chrome one for my 72 Q vert which has CJ on the Marti and not 4-V.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

At least it doesn't have Mach 1 or Ram Air stickers on it.   :cool:

Looks like a nice enough car.  I agree that the engine compartment could/should be nicer, but it is what it is.  Not sure if it's worth $50K, but still looks like it could be a great find.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

A man that knows his original cars, I agree with what you see. I see the upper radiator hose with the stapled hose clamps. I just took those off of my 73. The Marti MCA approved replacements look nothing like my originals I took off. They make what they want to and sell as original nobody to say otherwise. 

If you got to MPD in Charlotte they have the last Cougar vert built in 1973. It has a few hundred miles on it and all of the suspension is rusty. They were rusty when they left the factory after the Wind and Rain test. 

Wonder where the original mats went?

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

• 1 month later...

I am going to sell the twin of this car soon. Mine has 84K and will be under 30K.All original also, but not as nice.18 options. currently selling my 23 option one for 24,400.

One thing all the members should take note of in case you find a set. The front floor mats in that car are the correct ones. That is what came in a Mustang if you ordered from factory. They are also shown in the Accessory catalog along with the ones with the running pony. If you ordered from factory you could only get fronts you had to order the rears from dealer. I have my originals and was lucky enough to find a set on Ebay. 

David