Boss 351 Engine or not??

15 hours ago, Djustham said:

Its got like a 2" damper. Ive got a snake camera, what should I look for on the piston?

Stanglover posted a picture of a Boss piston earlier in this thread.  See if your pistons look like that.  You might also be able to use the snake camera to look for the screw in studs if you don't want to pull off a valve cover.

• Like 1

Jason (71 Mach 1, 351C 4V, 4 Spd. Toploader, Grabber Blue)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It would draw a lot of flak from lovers of other marques, but I have felt for a while that the '71 Ford Boss 351 might just be the best factory small block V8 engine ever manufactured.  Perhaps I shou

Hello Djustham, First I'll say what a great looking Mach1 you have. It would be a check in the plus column if you did have a Boss engine. Depending on how long ago the original engine was re

Stanglover posted a picture of a Boss piston earlier in this thread.  See if your pistons look like that.  You might also be able to use the snake camera to look for the screw in studs if you don't wa

Posted Images

Take a look down into the oil filler, or pull a valve cover. You should have screw in studs and guideplates. The guideplates should be visible. 

http://www.boss302.com/heads.htm

One true way to knock it out of the park is to get the partial VIN stamping off the back side of the block, below the driver side head. 70 and early 71 model year blocks had it below the passenger side head. You can send that VIN to Kevin Marti and he can tell you if it's a B351 VIN or not.