‘72 Mach Repaint Project

Today was great, I finally got my paint guns out.  I primered my fenders that have been under the microscope for a few weeks as well as the fender and quarter extensions.  I am really happy with how the fenders turned out.  There is one ding in the middle of the left fender I need to deal with, but otherwise basic block sanding and then a finish coat to prep.  My son helped me take the right door off and I went to work.  Hoping to finish it and pull off the right door.  

Late in the day I snuck the fenders into the house up into the spare bedroom.  Not sure if my wife noticed what I was doing or not.  My son ran a little interference, but obviously he wasn’t wanting to get into trouble with her.  So far she hasn’t commented on fenders inside the house.  Primer ahead!

5C7AABF3-ADF7-4BAD-8DE9-ACC460C5EA8D.jpeg

Edited by 69 Rustang
Wife hasn’t commented...yet

spacer.png
1931 Ford Model A Station Wagon
1969 Mach 1 - 351C, TKO-600, 4WDB, R&P, A/C, Shaker, Fold Down, etc.
1972 Mach 1 - 351C, FMX, PDB, PS, A/C, Fold Down, Console
1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible - 10psi Procharger, 436rwhp

LOL, that just reminded me that the 71's fenders and doors sat in a spare bedroom for a year and a half before the car went to paint. No issues with the then girlfriend, now wife. She knew what she was getting into.  :D

My wife lived with a rear window for a ‘69 Mach stored behind our headboard for about 8 years, so this isn’t her first go round.  A pure sign of a “keeper”!  But still no comments about fenders from her so far!  I wonder if the hood would get noticed?

spacer.png

Doors and bottom of trunk lid are cleaned up and primed.  What a mess—the car had been repainted including the jambs, and of course, was peeling in the jambs.  I spent all day yesterday sanding the bottom of the trunk lid.  Over the last week I worked on prepping the doors. Next up, A-pillars, B-pillars, and rockers.  Might as well get the top side of the trunk lid done too.  The roof has been blocked and needs a little clean up around the window moldings, then it can be primed.  Saving the worst for last, the quarters and tail light panel.  I haven’t forgotten the hood, but it is in really excellent shape as I resprayed it a few years ago, just needs some quick cleanup and prime.

6FCE0762-304D-43E8-A045-EBF704341EB4.jpeg

B48A1B26-072F-4CA2-9EEB-A6D59DA3628D.jpeg

• Like 1

spacer.png

Well, I did do some work on the rocker panels, but jumped right into the tail light panel today.  The butchers who worked on this car previously only tack brazed and pop riveted (5 rivets total) the tail light panel in.  So, I cleaned, straightened, drilled and mig welded the tail light panel in today.  Now it is done proper.  Photo of in process work.

7E3B92F2-BAD0-475A-8A5B-5B4CE93300AE.jpeg

• Like 1

spacer.png

If I never sand another door jamb in my life, that will be fine.  I spent over 6 hours today sanding door jambs and the trunk jamb.  The sad part...there is still more to do.  I need to pull some of the interior and the rear quarter glass/roof rail molding trim to be able to finish the job.  At least the worst is behind me.  The main problem I have now is where to store parts.  I’ve snuck a few things in the house, not sure how much more of that I can get away with.  Maybe if I wrap them in Christmas paper and put them under the tree...From Santa, to Dave?

• Like 1

spacer.png

On 12/23/2020 at 11:07 PM, 69 Rustang said:

Maybe if I wrap them in Christmas paper and put them under the tree...From Santa, to Dave?

And that will be the day when someone breaks in and steals all your gifts!

• LOL 1

I have seen my friend that does restorations sand on the bottom of the floor for a solid week. He will not leave a rust pit anywhere. Nobody will ever see most of it be he is OCD for sure on finish.

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

For sure much better to get as solid a body you can. A rusty hulk takes way too much time. Good solid metal saves you thousands and keeps you progressing fast and everything will fit.

• Like 2

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

On 12/30/2020 at 3:35 AM, 69 Rustang said:

Finished the prep and repairs on the rear body and epoxy primered it today.  Had to make a patch for the big rust spot—I really like working on California metal.

DE814C81-261C-4FA9-9C5E-899F5B900EC5.jpeg

3E695DD9-B71C-4499-ADA9-DE0989698E92.jpeg

Wow, primered end result looks really good! You could be very happy you only have such small patches to made... Don't ask me how I know :whistling:

• Like 1

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

• 3 weeks later...

Overdue update here.  Most of you saw this in my other thread where I whined about the color not being my favorite.  It’s growing on me.  Since the last update here is what is done:

• Rear quarters, roof, and rear body panel block sanded
  • Door jambs and door shells sanded and seam sealed
  • Quarters, roof, and rear body re-primered
  • Door jambs and door shells painted Wimbledon White
  • Doors reinstalled
  • Bitched and moaned about Wimbledon White
  • Fenders reinstalled to maintain hood alignment
  • Hood removed, topside sanded and primered
  • Fender and quarter extensions worked for better appearance and fit, then primered
  • Trunk lid block sanded and primered 
  • More complaining about the color
  • Wife noted the Homeowners association stopped in front of our house while hood was on saw horses in driveway—waiting for nastygram from HOA.  Most certainly was initiated by the witch next door.  She flew in on her broom as I was setting up to prime.
  • Received my new VIN/door jamb sticker from Marti (today!!!)
  • Accepted my fate—moving forward as soon as possible.  Next up—paint bottom of hood and trunk lid.  Might do this in the back yard.

8D32B2C8-E99D-4DCB-8082-19C9085B2285.jpeg

04D8AC29-0036-452F-A210-1C81E28EA1FC.jpeg

665D9CA1-8E84-4B6B-A8FB-C6AE63B2DB8B.jpeg

Edited by 69 Rustang

spacer.png

I get what you mean about the HOA, some neighbors have their nose so far up your ass they can see daylight. I lived in a condo for a while and had an old retired broad across the street that took to bitching about my garage activities as a hobby. 

BTW, I do like the wimbledon white even though it's not white! LOL!!

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

The neighbor that got me in trouble with the county here did him self in about three years ago. He was pouring gas in carb to start one of his dozens of collector cars and backfire and he threw gas on himself and died in hospital.
Where I live no car not having a tag can be in the view of the public. No matter if perfect or not. I was building my garage had the permits pulled and all. He goes to the county and complains. They gave me 7 days to get them gone or they would come and get them and take to crusher. I paid for storage until I got garage done. He was that way because he tried to buy cars couple times and I would not sell.
He is one of the rich ones that had a dealers license so he could use a Transporter tag and never pay taxes on his cars because he never bought a tag for one.
Since he is not around I leave cars sitting outside and nobody complains.

• Sad 1

David

12 hours ago, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs said:

The neighbor that got me in trouble with the county here did him self in about three years ago. He was pouring gas in carb to start one of his dozens of collector cars and backfire and he threw gas on himself and died in hospital.
Where I live no car not having a tag can be in the view of the public. No matter if perfect or not. I was building my garage had the permits pulled and all. He goes to the county and complains. They gave me 7 days to get them gone or they would come and get them and take to crusher. I paid for storage until I got garage done. He was that way because he tried to buy cars couple times and I would not sell.
He is one of the rich ones that had a dealers license so he could use a Transporter tag and never pay taxes on his cars because he never bought a tag for one.
Since he is not around I leave cars sitting outside and nobody complains.

So what happened to your neighbor's "collector cars" ? Did you get first crack at buying any of them? When he lit himself up like a Roman candle, did the one he was working on or any of the others catch fire?

Just remember John Wick didn’t kill all those people for a random car. It was a Mustang

talking of neighbours, I have to hand sand most bodywork and stuff most of the time as my neighbours constantly complain if I use any electric sanders or compressors. Ordinarily I would have just got on with it, but given most folks are prisoners of their own homes during covid, I'll cut them some slack.... doesn't do my hands any good mind...

anyway, back to your paint job, I think it looks mighty fine in that colour. Wait till it's finished...!

I’m glad I live in the country.  No neighbors can even be seen from my house.  

Car is looking good. 

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

Oh I live in country but millionaire and billionaire neighbors are not friendly. They send their attorney to talk and send to try to buy property.
On the guy and his collection. His daughter now owns two 5,000 sq. ft. buildings packed. Never saw what he had he was a total ass hole. His workers were behind my garage last year cutting up wind blown trees. I went over and took the bottles of cold water from the garage. That is how I found out he was dead and what happened. They said had worked for him 15 years and he had never given then cold drinks. They gave me all the wood a three year supply they even cut up the tree and helped split. I tried to take them to dinner and give the $50.00 but they would not take it.
I do not know what if any damage happened to the car. Since the county does not know he has them they pay no taxes.
BTW when you are squirting gas in a carb. take a clean dry water bottle and put small amount of gas in it. Screw the top on and take a razor blade and cut a slit in the top. If car backfires it cannot lite the fuel in the bottle no way to get in. I do the same thing when wet sanding easier than a squirt bottle and free.

David

I took advantage of a break in the rain this morning and painted the bottom of the hood and trunk lid.  I also painted the backside/inside of the mirrors.  So far, no letter from the HOA, so I may have lucked out.  A hood sitting on stands on the driveway is not a violation?  I wasn’t working on it, so maybe I found a technicality LOL.  I noticed the HOA driving through again on Friday, so I figured I was good to go for today’s painting session.  I have a few small areas to reprime and I need to do inside the trunk, but I think I shouldn’t have any trouble from here.  I need to block the fenders and reprime them, then I have a few areas on top of the hood, one on the trunk lid, and one on the rear body that need some block and prime.  Last up, the front bumper.   I ordered some 2K flexible filler to repair it where needed but it won’t be here for a few weeks.

Also, the color is growing on me...  I have quit complaining about it.  Seeing a large piece like the hood done and it actually looks pretty good.

BB9C8A52-A54C-4E7C-BE12-D2901972D277.jpeg

5E475779-7558-4B36-B1C8-ABB80049D5BF.jpeg

spacer.png

Nice work!

When we did my car every time one of the neighbors walked up I thought here we go it's on! But nope all just wanted see the progress.

- Mike

That looks good, I like this shade of white, it has a kind of warmth in it, like the good ol' days! What do you plan for the finish? Sanding it with fine grit and polish after reassembly or leave it as is? From here it looks perfect :thumb:

It never hurts to be good with the neigbors - even if they are d***heads. If they want they could mess up your whole life in an eye blink - that's unhappily life... Except you live in the country with no house in sight :classic_ninja:

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

16 hours ago, timachone said:

What do you plan for the finish? Sanding it with fine grit and polish after reassembly or leave it as is? From here it looks perfect :thumb:

For the underside, I am calling it good.  It certainly is not perfect, I had a Bee land on the very back of the hood and take a hike before I noticed and rescued him and the hood.  I can’t imagine trying to buff the bottom side without burning through.  Just thinking about trying makes my skin crawl a bit.  I spent a lot of time on my cleaning process and very carefully watch the wind forecast before painting.  Our wind patterns generally are very calm early in the morning and grow through the day.  

For the topside/body of the car, different story—that certainly won’t get sprayed in a driveway or my garage!

spacer.png