‘72 Mach Repaint Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That color white is spectacular man. 

Stupid car—it seems like it is fighting me every step of the way on reassembly.  Everything I touch takes 4 times longer than it should.  Install bolt—20 minutes....  Install molding, WEEKS...  Grrrrr.

I do have a question.  I ordered a windshield washer bottle as mine was broken.  I went to install the pump and something in my brain said—check for a leak.  Guess what—it leaked through the pump area...of course it does....   the washer bottle is a reproduction as the OE ones are no longer available.  But the pump and its seal are 50 years old.  Is it the pump or the bottle?  I looked in the hole and there was a burr where the fluid exits to go into the hose.  I popped the burr off and it still leaks.  Without throwing out my initial ideas to fix, what would you do?

Just went through the whole thread Awesome work with excellent attention to the panel lines and gaps-Nothing like a really nice clean baking booth to spray in ! Paint work looks FANTASTIC !! Congrats !! 

A productive weekend, I applied the lower blackout paint (I know out of order based on how Ford did it). But it turned out really well.  Once that was done I put the front and rear valances on, installed the rear bumper, the rear honeycomb, gas cap and license plates.  I still need to find some clips for the rear honeycomb upper and lower moldings, I bought a hardware kit for this but bought the wrong one as it doesn’t have the clips that go in the moldings.   After reading the description of the hardware kit, it doesn’t sound all that great given it is $26 and they state the clips are too short right in the description.  

Thinking about getting the hood ready for blackout, the other stuff turned out so well I am ready to get it done!  Pretty soon, I am going to be just left with the interior overhaul.  I already ordered seat covers and have decided to order new door panels too.  That makes everything new or reconditioned in the interior as the headliner and carpet were recently replaced and the dash has already been overhauled.  Unfortunately the seat upholstery is still 3 months out on some sort of backorder.  There is a finish line in here somewhere.

9A858367-3FFA-4B4A-928E-5A7242E08B56.jpeg

76F34340-928B-413B-AC78-AB1C76E43858.jpeg

3F9838BA-DB26-459B-9AAF-19ACE0965E93.jpeg

0369308B-01D0-4BA9-AFB6-D525022A7816.jpeg

8FBBB032-33A3-4F62-867D-516ADE52C29B.jpeg

FB3350AA-1181-492D-AD7A-D885175D03DA.jpeg

1D6C916D-3538-4657-9AEE-1DCA2CD96A5A.jpeg

BDBD736D-2854-43A7-A7BE-F8B18349D334.jpeg

Been a while since I updated, so here goes.  A bit frustrated at the moment.  I started putting stripes on today—right off I screwed up and put one of the door stripes backwards—picture below.  I am blaming the graphic reference I taped to the window—ha ha.  Had to peel it off and now I have to buy another kit.  Then I tried lining up the lower body stripe kit and realized they don’t give you enough stripe to do the whole car, it takes 1 1/2 kits unless mine was missing bits.  Calling NPD tomorrow on that one.  I did manage to get one side fully and correctly striped with the hockey stick and Mach 1 emblem.  

I did the hood blackout yesterday, it turned out pretty good.  Based on my experience with the PPG Hot Rod Black it will dull up a bit more over the next few weeks as it cures.  Picture of that below.

Otherwise body assembly is done and I am waiting my upholstery kit.  It turns out a buddy of mine has a connection with the company that manufactures the kits so he is going to see what is going on for me.  The car is turning out really nice, and after putting the hood blackout and side stripes on, Wimbledon White is looking pretty good.  I know I expressed a lot of concern early on, but it is going to look sharp.

CB36E3BB-837C-4B0E-A5A8-9AA20D7E1EAD.jpeg

EDDC54DF-39A5-47AE-BC58-CD0F36F258F3.jpeg

CE2DF0AB-10BD-451D-8853-4750236404F4.jpeg

43308E14-E74A-4B5E-AC43-6CA70A70DEEF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking real good indeed. I agree the PPG will dull down a bit as it cures completely. I had the same concern when I started painting mine, I was sure it was the wrong color. Keep up the great work. Chuck

I always hated putting any stripes on. I would have had the garage door shut to prevent any breeze from blowing them around after I pulled the backing off and I always used soapy water. Sucks you got one backwards.
On the lower part you are talking about the tape the goes between body color and lower black? What was missing?
The hood layout looks way better than most for sure. You would think someone would make the right texture paint for them. I saw a 69 or 70 at Carlisle that had the correct texture and no shine but he could not remember what paint they used at the body shop, so there is something out there.
I think you will enjoy a white car especially on hot days. A dark colored car is never clean for sure.
Great that you are moving along. Interior goes pretty fast.

David, there were two pieces of lower stripe in the box, both the same length.  This picture shows how far one stripe went.  As you can see, it wasn’t even long enough to do the area from the front wheel well to the rear.  I used both stripes in the box to get one side done, and then used a bit for just the rear of the quarter on the other side.  I figured if there is some dimensional variation in the next set I get it won’t show from the front of the quarter panel to the rear.  Fingers crossed anyway.  

For the textured black, I’m not sure who makes it.  I like the smooth look anyway so I wouldn’t have used it.  I’m not worried about a concours event.  I did start with your dimensions when laying out the hood, but rather than different measures on one side versus the other and the original, I couldn’t help myself but make the measurements side to side symmetrical.  That said—what a great document you prepared, I would have been guessing without it.  Thank you!

One knowledge gap is how the lower stripe “finishes” at the back of the rear quarter panel.  Does it wrap around a little…get cut off straight?  I made my own decision and went with it.  But if you have details that could be your next article/white paper.

714CBB28-250C-42DF-9B3F-988FF4BDF8BE.jpeg

Back