Revisiting installing a Hayden 2710 fan clutch and Derale 17118 fan.

I am running the 2947 on my 460 with the 18" Derale fan and a slightly modified 351C fan shroud. The 2947 is so low profile that putting the nuts on the studs can be challenging. The fan depth in the shroud is not optimal but it cools fine. The fan is not loud. I am contemplating going to the 429 shroud and 19" fan not that it is needed.

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chris, there are two versions of the 2710, one thermal, one not. I think you have the non-thermal one. It says right in the description about the non-thermal staying engaged.  As for a spacer, I

I believe the non-thermal is 1710. The thermal fan still spins at a reduced rate (20-30%) when disengaged.

You're absolutely right Don. I just went on R/A site and confirmed that and was just about to correct myself. Ya beat me too it!  

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, TommyK said:

I am running the 2947 on my 460 with the 18" Derale fan and a slightly modified 351C fan shroud. The 2947 is so low profile that putting the nuts on the studs can be challenging. The fan depth in the shroud is not optimal but it cools fine. The fan is not loud. I am contemplating going to the 429 shroud and 19" fan not that it is needed.

Thanks for that Tommy.

I've decided to order the 2710 and the Derale 18" fan and IF I find I need a lower profile 2765, I'll address that as and when. I'm not sure I like the looks of the Dorman stud kit, they look "cheap" compared to the professional fixtures I'm used to using.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Well it's done. I ordered the Hayden 2710 and Derale 17118 fan from Summit Racing. Shipping and taxes cost as much as the fan!! Oh the joy of not living in the US........ but on the other hand!!!!

• LOL 1

Geoff.

I looked through my order history and found out mine is a 2710 not the 1710. So possibly defective. The reviews on these clutches are very hit and miss. 

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

Born in '73 - Drive a '73

Former U.S. Army 63B10-H8

1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

For whatever it is worth it I used a Hayden 2710 with a Flex-a-lite 14544 1/2" spacer, a 3-core radiator and stock fan. The fan sticks out about 1/3 out of the shroud. I can't say that this will be the same in every car. At least in my case, my drivetrain is at a little steeper angle than stock due to the TKO600 which changes the fitment of the fan.

• Like 1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

2 hours ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

I looked through my order history and found out mine is a 2710 not the 1710. So possibly defective. The reviews on these clutches are very hit and miss. 

Did you think to compare pictures of the two. Is there a chance you happened to have been shipped the wrong one and you didn't realize? Hemikiller just changed one after 15 years, so I hope the one I get outlasts the time I'll own the car.

There are alternative manufacturers for similar fan clutches. Rock Auto list 3. Hope I made the right choice.

• Like 1

Geoff.

7 hours ago, TommyK said:

I am contemplating going to the 429 shroud

Unless you have one, let me know where you can find these. Got one last year from Ecklers, also avail from few others and all made by mac's antiques. They are expensive ABS pieces of junk, that's all they are. Certainly no shroud.

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

47 minutes ago, tony-muscle said:

For whatever it is worth it I used a Hayden 2710 with a Flex-a-lite 14544 1/2" spacer, a 3-core radiator and stock fan. The fan sticks out about 1/3 out of the shroud. I can't say that this will be the same in every car. At least in my case, my drivetrain is at a little steeper angle than stock due to the TKO600 which changes the fitment of the fan.

Thanks Tony for the spacer number. Jpaz also mentioned using a 1/2" spacer. I'll keep that in mind when I finally get started on this next little project.

I just got my order confirmation from Summit to find out the Derale 17188 18" fan is on backorder for two months, despite them showing it as "in stock". It's a good thing I'm in no rush as I don't want to order parts from different vendors and deal with extra shipping cost.

Geoff.

6 minutes ago, Stanglover said:

Thanks Tony for the spacer number. Jpaz also mentioned using a 1/2" spacer. I'll keep that in mind when I finally get started on this next little project.

I just got my order confirmation from Summit to find out the Derale 17188 18" fan is on backorder for two months, despite them showing it as "in stock". It's a good thing I'm in no rush as I don't want to order parts from different vendors and deal with extra shipping cost.

Just in case you need it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CNLCHK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

2 hours ago, tony-muscle said:

Awesome, thanks. I should order one just in case I do need it. It's not that expensive just to sit in a box if I don't need it.

Geoff.

On 1/11/2021 at 2:23 PM, Stanglover said:

Did you think to compare pictures of the two. Is there a chance you happened to have been shipped the wrong one and you didn't realize? Hemikiller just changed one after 15 years, so I hope the one I get outlasts the time I'll own the car.

There are alternative manufacturers for similar fan clutches. Rock Auto list 3. Hope I made the right choice.

Yup. I definitely have the right one. Just doesn't work as it should. 

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

11 hours ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

Yup. I definitely have the right one. Just doesn't work as it should. 

Hmmm, that's disturbing!

Geoff.

8 minutes ago, Stanglover said:

Hmmm, that's disturbing!

Not entirely surprising if you real all of the reviews on them. Seems like it's certainly not the only one. I'd bet 85% of them are good, but obviously with anything mass produced, especially these days, it's gonna happen. I may not change it for a while...at least it's cooling! : )

• Like 1

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1