WAY OFF TOPIC!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Hey guys I know this is way off topic but figured what the heck. I usually get some good ideas from any question i ask so here goes. I m looking to get a little more heat in my garage. I dont want to clutter up the floor space with a wood burner or a normal house furnace. I was wondering if anyone knew if a mobile home oil furnance would work ok up in my rafters? I was leaning towards a mobile home furnace because the blower is on the bottom of the unit. I could mount the furnance up in my attic and run the heater duct through my ceiling into garage for heat. I talked to a couple of my buddies over a couple of beers and we all thought it was a good idea, but we didnt know if those type of furnaces came with a type of pump to get the fuel to the furnace from the oil tank or if it just siphon fed??? The tank would be outside on the ground and the fuel would have to travel up to my rafters to the furnace. I think it would work great if i could get the fuel to the furnace. What do you guys think??? any ideas or info would be great!!! Also wondering if i could covert an oil furnace to run propane???? A buddy of mine has an mobile home oil furnce that i could put up there. I am running propane heat in the garage now but its just not enough.

Thanks!!!

Kevin

I have a 75K BTU natural gas furnace suspended from the ceiling in my shop, and it works great. The discharge is in the front, with vanes that direct air flow down. They probably make something similar for propane, and I don't think you'd need a pump, as propane is under pressure. I think my gas furnace was about $700, probably about as cheap as buying an oil furnace and converting it.

Steve

Badmach. I am also running a ventless propane wall mounted heater. It works well just not quite enough when it's it the teens or colder. I have a torpedo heater I fire up once in a while but it's way too loud.

If its an Coleman/Evcon or Nordine furnace that is downflow only then your height of the furnace will be 76" tall no stack. most require their own stack which draws in fresh air for combustion. if you don't have one it will cost you. I hate to be a downer but if it were me it will be difficult to install that in the rafters. DO NOT LAY IT ON ITS SIDE IF IT IS NOT BUILT TO BE INSTALLED IN THAT WAY PLEASE it will be a fire hazard. Usually those furnaces install one way only and that is down flow. So you have to have at least 80 or so inches of height. Sell it and buy something like Q has or one of the other garage heaters IMHO. Im not trying to a pain, I just want you to be safe. I have installed several of these and they work pretty well. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_5839_5839 there are several other types out there. I know your furnace would be free but it could cost you everything in the end if not installed properly. Sorry to be a downer

Basketball. My rafters are pretty steep. Plenty of room in the center for me to stand, so I could mount the furnace properly and I can run a vent pipe thru the roof. I was just worried about the fuel running up hill to the furnace. If it would work. Thanks for all the input guys!!!

Those northern heaters are just too small for my garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have three of these in my shop.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/683395-overhead_quartz_electric_heater.html?lref=%2fcatalog%2ffind.aspx%3ft%3delectric%2bheater%26m%3dP%26c%3dAll%2bProducts%252f%252f%252f%252fUserSearch1%253delectric%2bheater%26p%3d2#.Tx3ACIHPEYs

They are small enough that you can put them anywhere and they are electric radiant heat so I can paint stuff next to them with out worrying about contaminates. If you can get the oil furnace for free go for it. you could just get a small oil pump like this one http://www.amazon.com/350GPH-DC12V-Brushless-Heating-System/dp/B002PH4994/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327350173&sr=8-1 and just plumb it up.

How big is your shop Jayson?
It's a pretty good sized two car garage (20'x30' to be exact) but with all of the tools, shelves, and storage its only fits the mustang with enough room all the way around to work.

here's some pics

100_4722.jpg

100_4724.jpg

100_4727.jpg

Sorry Kevin for kind of hijacking your thread.

Did I see you on an episode of Hoarders:huh: :p
No, but you might have seen my mom, most of the non-garage items are hers. :p Hopefully some of that stuff will be moved out of there this spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem I see with a moble home furnace is that the return air is in the front of the furnace. If you have a celing in the garage you will have to duct the retun air to it from the floor area.

cold air stays on the floor hot air rises. with the furnace in the celing your hot air will return to the furnace and the cold air will stay on the floor, therefore it will not properly heat the garage.

The ceiling in my garage is pretty low. Only about 7ft. I can hardly get my truck in there. So i think the furnace would put enough heat into the garage to heat the whole space. Right now my main concern is if the fuel can get up to the furnace from the ground outside. I might call a local heating and ac company and see if the furnace would get fuel. I figure it would be same as if it was in a trailer and the tank was down over a bank or something and it had to travel up hill.

Turtle,

I picked up a 220v 16 amp electric with a blower last Fall. Like you, I have very limited space. My garage is stand-alone. Has electricity (20 amp service) but not gas. Have not hooked it up yet but will soon.

Got the idea of electric from my local motorcycle shop. Works very well.

- David

Turtle,

I picked up a 220v 16 amp electric with a blower last Fall. Like you, I have very limited space. My garage is stand-alone. Has electricity (20 amp service) but not gas. Have not hooked it up yet but will soon.

Got the idea of electric from my local motorcycle shop. Works very well.

- David
I thought about that also. but was worried how much it would run as far as electric bill. Alot of options to sort through.

Back