Clear coat on aluminum intake.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has clearcoated their intakes? i have beadblasted mine a few times when it has been off the car to clean it up, but it always getts dirty and discolored quick. What clearcoat could i use that heat wont bother it too bad??? I have seen VHT i think has heat resistant clear spray can??? My intake is an aluminum edelbrock rpm. Any suggestions would be appriciated. Thanks Kevin

The spray bomb clear will turn orange when gas gets it.

I have had a few intakes in my collection clear powdercoated, but unfortunately haven't used them yet to report on durability.

IIRC the problem with painting aluminum is that the metal oxidizes very quickly and the paint sticks to the oxidation instead of the base metal. Powdercoating clear may be a great option, but I would continue to consider the oxidation issue and make sure the part is cleaned to bare metal and shot as close to immediately as possible for best results.

I have done two things. First, on the truck I used to have I blasted the intake upper and lower but there was still staining visible. So, I spray bombed it with silver paint, then immediately brushed it down with a paper towel. This took most of the paint off, but gave it a nice uniform finish that looked like aluminum to me. I then clear coated it with a quality clear oat using my spray gun. It looked as good the day I sold it years later as it did when first done.

All that said, what i did next didn't look as good. On my '69 the intake didn't look great but I kept scrubbing and blasting. I got most of the staining off the Edelbrock manifold. Then I clear coated with a quality clear. It has a different look than raw aluminum--kind of a very very slight blue tint to it. In my opinion, the technique I used on the truck looked more like raw aluminum and was more durable.

I bead blasted a stained Edelbrock intake with glass beads, then sprayed it with silver caliper paint. It looked like bare aluminum, but sealed the surface. It looked like brand new for over a year, until I sold the car.

Steve

Hi,

You can use Motip alu-zinc spray can for good alu.look:

Fast drying alu-zinc spray with excellent adhesion and filling properties for professional use.

For the treatment of galvanized steel and untreated.

Alu-zinc spray has excellent cathodic corrosion protection, good weld ability and is resistant to petrol, chemicals and weather influences.

MoTip Alu Zinc Spray is heat resistant up to 250 º C.

Professional EAN-code : 8711347040599

Industrial EAN-code : 8711347111831

I don't know but I'm curious, wouldn't painting or powder coating an aluminum intake absorb the heat instead of dissipating? Or us it even an issue? I thought I had read that in a modern mustang mag a few years ago.

I don't know but I'm curious, wouldn't painting or powder coating an aluminum intake absorb the heat instead of dissipating? Or us it even an issue? I thought I had read that in a modern mustang mag a few years ago.
Had mine ceramic coated like you do headers

hintake2.JPG

Guys,

I had glass beaded and sprayed 2K type urethane clear coat on my 351 cleveland air gap intake in an open hood, model A coupe with excellent results. It has been on for 4 plus years and shows no issues of any kind.

Thanks, Jay

Back