73 Rag Doors Saging

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red73mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertable
So my 73 is a mess, rear quarters are shot, that's another future project: What causes the doors to sag and no longer line up with the door striker bolt and how can I repair it?

Regards, Chet

Sounds like you may need some new door hinge pins, you can buy new ones at any supply warehouse. Just make sure its not your frame sagging if its a convertible. I have to replace my hinges soon and just recently asked some questions on how to go about it, you can probably find the thread on this sight.

First, with the top up and secured, check the hinge pins for wear. Open one door at a time just so it clears the body and pick up on the very back edge of the door. If you can lift the door any appreciable amount without lifting the side of the car as well, you need new hinge pins and bushings. You should be able to feel the slop int he hinges, generally, the driver's side will be much worse than the passenger.

The true test of integrity on a convertible is to drop the top and open booth doors. If you cannot close the doors as easily as you did with the top up, you need to investigate the structure of the car before you do anything else. If your quarters are rotted badly, there's a pretty good chance the underside of the car needs help as well. I once looked at a convertible that we had to jack up under the rockers to close the doors....

:goodpost: Hemikiller!

Sad to say this frame problem is too common on old 'verts that have been sitting in the weeds too long!

Good luck and I sure hope it is the hinges!

Ray

Latest posts

Back