A rare look into a rare Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Completed
1972 Mach 1 Future Project
1972 Mach 1 Doner Parts Car
1973 302 Current Project
This car appears to have been well used and not in the greatest shape, but is it still considered one of the rarest Mustangs on the planet? What makes this car so special? What would you offer for this car in it's condition? Does anyone know if this is the original paint scheme for this car? Painted black bumpers and different hood design?

http://shelby71.herrn.com/

I thought they all were convertibles.

Obviously, the driver's door was replaced and repainted. You can see it was off a Hardtop and this Shelby Europa is a sportsroof. It would be interesting to see the VIN's under the front fender of this Shelby...

Of course the pic of the door tag also indicates a yellow color and door tag itself shows paint code 2 ??? with standard black vinyl interior The Shelby has the Deluxe Comfortweave.

I sure would like to see a Marti report for Shelby VIN 1F02M202548 or 202546 - sorry can't tell from pics.

As for the donor car:

1F01H221548

Body: 65D 2 Door Hardtop

Color: 2 ???

Trim: 1A Black All Vinyl, Standard Interior

Date: 07-71

D.S.O: 41 Chicago

Axle: 2 2.75:1, Conventional

Trans: U C6 Automatic

It would be interesting to also see if someone has called for a Marti report on the car this door came from. Hey I know where your original door is!

Sorry I couldn't resist.

And one more thing - why the two different Fla plates???

Thanks for sharing!

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope seems like only two of em were convertibles.

Well it has the data plate reading "Claude Dubois Brussels" etc. That was the guy who had those Shelbys made and sold them.

The door could have been swapped over the years.

The car is registered in the Scandinavian Shelby register.

Let's face it: A car with a Shelby VIN is a Shelby. How many "Shelbys" are the real deal on car shows and how many are simple Mustangs Built to old Shelby specs and retrofitted with an original VIN? And those sell for astronomic prices!

Same with this one. It looks the deal, has all the props that made them Shelbys and it has the VIN plate. What else do you need?

As for the plates: The car is obviously in Europe, so those plates are probably just for show so that it looks more "authentic" American on the photos. Many people do that.

Those cars were never sold in the US and were made under the restriction that they could not be imported back into the US, if I remember correctly.

So it is very unlikely that this car has ever been in the US (except for leaving the factory, of course!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually sent an email to the fellow who runs the Eurpoa website, he got back to me stating that he was aware of the car and it's still for sale. Wolfgang, the site creator said that any potential buyer should definitely check out the vin mismatch. I believe the car is listed in the second vin number on the left hand side of the Eurpora site.

I knew about the existance of 71 shelby europa... i posted it in another thread not too long ago...

But i know nothing about the specs of a shelby europa this era so it is almost imposible for me, a guy who has been internet informed of this kind of rare cars, to determine the small things that can make us sure of its authenticity.

Apart from that, i see it too easy to make some "fake" plates and attach it correctly in the right spot with the right hexagonal spot rivet and stuff... So... If i were a buyer i wont totally trust even on that...You can make a false plate with the right numbers and start from there, a fake car restoration...

So... i´m sure it must be a lot of official literature to find some original shelby modification, maybe on the chassis or dont know... the wiring or something almost noone will know... That would be the thing i really trust if in fact, does exist...

Bottom line... in my opinion a true shelby MUST be all it´s original important parts there... I don´t really care about some plates... and i wont pay 100 K for an aluminium plate i can reproduce myself!... I know... it should be some registry that has the list of all shelby cars and it´s numbers and that people knows if the VIN is correct but... why can´t i think that i can pay 10K to a guy who has access to that registry just making him tell me one 1967 shelby GT500 still lost??... If i get that number, i make you a original Shelby?? I don´t think so but i DO think this things happens...

Back