Allegedly 1 of 1 PW window 73 Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowHorse

Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible, c6, yellow
351-2v, power top, power windows.
Hello fellow big horse owners.

Just few days ago I became an owner of a yellow 73 convertible. Needs some work with body/paint and engine/transmission, but it has potential.

First thing on my list is to check spark plugs, maybe test compression, thermostat, and vacuum.

Oh yes...Marty report alleges that its 1 of 1 for power windows for convertible - very unsusual.

20220822_203912.jpg20220822_202504.jpg20220822_202419.jpg

Great looking car. Nice color combo.
I would be surprised if it was the only 73 Convertible to be optioned with power windows. The picture you posted of the martini report doesn't indicate that it is. Did you mean to include the other half?

Great looking car. Nice color combo.
I would be surprised if it was the only 73 Convertible to be optioned with power windows. The picture you posted of the martini report doesn't indicate that it is. Did you mean to include the other half?

20220822_231705.jpg

I am very sceptical that out of 11,800 convertibles only one came with power windows ... then again it was $113 option vs aluminum wheels being $110.

Last edited:
It's the way Kevin Marti sorts the data. Yours is 1 of 1 with power windows that have those wheels. Those wheels represent 10 of 82 that also had black power tops. etc. Nothing about these cars is truly rare, but it's still neat when you have a 1 of 1 Marti report. He can't get there with most of them.

Welcome from Illinois and another vert owner! Very nice looking ride and very nicely optioned.

Here‘s the stats report from my ‘73 vert in yellow w p/w. As noted above, Marti reports sort to emphasize rarity, but it doesn’t mean only one yellow convertible w power windows exists.

But congrats on a great looking car!

Attachments

• A42ACD66-06D8-41A3-91AE-8942E12EE4EC.jpeg
    A42ACD66-06D8-41A3-91AE-8942E12EE4EC.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1
That is a gorgeous 73 vert! We have a 73 vert also, but with far fewer factory options. Our claim to “near fame” is based on ours having been barn stored for over 42 years. Currently we have a little over 21,000 original miles on it.

The 351 and c6 help makes yours a really solid power train to work with. The 2.75:1 ration rear axle gears will help you with fuel economy and very comfortable cruising with relatively low engine RPM at 60+ MPH. Re he downside is the low end performance will always be a little sluggish compared to a vehicle with a lower rear axle gear ratio. I find 3.5:1 gears (preferably TractionLok) to be a nice compromise between practical cruising and snappy performance. But frankly, if you are happy with the gears you have I would leave well enough alone.

The c6 is a very durable tranny. If you need to rebuild it consider using higher performance parts and get a street/strip valve body kit. There are several places that offer great parts and valve body performance kits. I always liked B&M. Don’t go too crazy with a torque converter with a really high stall speed. No sense in getting a really high stall speed unit unless you are planning to race it.

As for the engine, you may be tempted to go to a 4v carb, which is fine. But in order to handle the lower octane levels for non-ethanol fuel I would suggest having no more than 9.5:1 compression ratio. As for the heads, unless you plan to seriously face the vert I would not bother with after-market high performance heads. You likely have an open chamber head, which is fine even for decent street performance. I would suggest getting bronze wall cLcs guides, and using Perfect Circle valve guide seals as opposed to using the factory El Cheapo umbrella style oil deflector “seals.”

I would further suggest getting a hydraulic roller cam and lifter kit, as opposed tongstring a flat tappet cam and lifter kit. If you do go with flat tappet be sure to only use an engine oil with zinc in it. Or use a zinc additive. Otherwise your flat tappet cam and lifters will have a very short life.

Finally, I would be using a double roller timing gear and chain solution. That will last far longer than a traditional timing gear and chain set. And, even though plastic/nylon coated timing gear for the cam are quieter than an all steel gear, I would get the steel gear for long lasting service.

You may look at the need for engine and tranny work as being a downside. I see it as an opportunity to breath new life into your vert. Good fortune is already smiling down on you.

I hope you post updates as your work on the vert progresses.

Hello fellow big horse owners.

Just few days ago I became an owner of a yellow 73 convertible. Needs some work with body/paint and engine/transmission, but it has potential.

First thing on my list is to check spark plugs, maybe test compression, thermostat, and vacuum.

Oh yes...Marty report alleges that its 1 of 1 for power windows for convertible - very unsusual.

View attachment 66852View attachment 66853View attachment 66854
Just saw almost exact same car at a car show last weekend. Power windows, yellow and black interior but had a 302 in it.

Very nice car with a great option load. As others have noted, it's all in how Marti sorts the options to get to the 1 of 1 status. If he reversed two, or used a different option, the results would be completely different. High option convertibles in 73 were quite common, as it was the last drop top Mustang of the first generation. Many dealers threw the option book at a couple cars to store as investments. There are many examples of very low mileage high option 73s in existence.

I've attached the 1973 Dealer Facts Book below. This is the Mustang section of the full-line books the dealers received. It'll tell what is or isn't included in the option packages you see on your report.

Attachments

• 1973 Mustang Facts Book _ Rev 1 73.pdf
    9.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hello and a warm welcome from SW Ontario, Canada.
Congrats on finding a really nice vert.
You'll find all the info you'll ever need here, just ask!

My Mach 1 is supposedly a 1 of 6. It was ordered with very few options, basically none. It's had a few upgrades over the years though!

You can make a 1 of 1 car from just about anything, it's all in the sequencing of the options.

It makes more sense, as I was thinking convertible without pw will be painful.

My report included 'Ordered from this DSO' in order to get it down to 'this is that Mustang'.

But let's face it. With just 11,853 Convertibles in 1973 it's still a pretty rare car.

Back