Bad alternator out of the box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
H code 351c
Edelbrock intake, 4bb Holley carb
Hey guys,

Just an observation I wanted to make about some of the parts I have been getting. I have been having major issues with brand new or reconditioned parts being bad out of the box.

4 solenoids, three starters now two alternators. Also if the parts last a year it's amazing.

Seems like I need to start spending more money on parts but most of the time these are the top part available at my local parts store.

Anyone else having these issues?

I spoke to my local mustang mechanic deals almost exclusively in Mustangs, he has also had the same issues with solenoids being bad out of the box.

Cheers Rich

Similar story with an explanation. My wife's Windstar lost the alternator last weekend. I had replaced it 2011 with a lifetime warranty unit from O'Reilly Auto Parts. They gladly replaced the alternator for me. I mentioned that I was perplexed that the alternator failed so quickly. The store manager said that is the problem with refurbished components. Refurbished units come in, get a full cleaning and performance test. Any bad components are replaced and the rest is put back together and sold as a unit.

So my first alternator that failed in the Windstar slowly started loosing the ability to charge or maintain electrical function. The second one had a voltage regulator quit on it. The "New" replacement has some bearing noise. The only way to avoid this stuff is to buy new, which is not too likely with our cars, or take yours in and request that they replace all parts you feel they should replace. There is a place here in Kansas City that gearheads have used for years to have alternators and starters rebuilt so they can have the original date code on the case. I believe it is called East West Electric Co.

Good Luck!

Hey guys,

Just an observation I wanted to make about some of the parts I have been getting. I have been having major issues with brand new or reconditioned parts being bad out of the box.

4 solenoids, three starters now two alternators. Also if the parts last a year it's amazing.

Seems like I need to start spending more money on parts but most of the time these are the top part available at my local parts store.

Anyone else having these issues?

I spoke to my local mustang mechanic deals almost exclusively in Mustangs, he has also had the same issues with solenoids being bad out of the box.

Cheers Rich

We have a local shop that 2 old boys run that rebuilds alternators and starters. I have them rebuild all my stuff, from my cars to my quads. Just about the only way to get good quality rebuild. You can buy a cheaper one on ebay but you will get what you pay for.

So went and pulled the alternator and battery to go get tested, alternator was ok Optima red top failed. 6 months old I was amazed, couldn't believe a basically brand new red top has died on me

Had a bad voltage regulator, right out of the box. Had the dimming lights issue and bought a new top of the line one from Advance. It immediately went to 18v and cooked my MSD in seconds flat. Cost me a $75 repair to the box, which the parts store politely told me to go pound sand about. Dug out a crusty old Motorcraft electronic regulator I pulled off a car in the boneyard, been charging beautifully ever since

I also prefer locally rebuilt starters/alternators vs anything from a discount parts store. I rebuilt my own alternator on my Mach 1. alternator shop sold me some bearings. It still has the 73 date code on it. Been going good for the past 16 years.

About 4-5 years ago I switched from parts store components to Rock Auto premium name brand parts. Especially brakes. I get the premium parts shipped to my door for less than the cheap parts that can be sourced locally. Anything I need usually needs to be shipped in anyways, so I'm waiting either way. May as well pay cheap and get the good stuff delivered.

I also prefer locally rebuilt starters/alternators vs anything from a discount parts store. I rebuilt my own alternator on my Mach 1. alternator shop sold me some bearings. It still has the 73 date code on it. Been going good for the past 16 years.

About 4-5 years ago I switched from parts store components to Rock Auto premium name brand parts. Especially brakes. I get the premium parts shipped to my door for less than the cheap parts that can be sourced locally. Anything I need usually needs to be shipped in anyways, so I'm waiting either way. May as well pay cheap and get the good stuff delivered.
I have had pretty good luck from Rock Auto! I recently put new wheel bearing on my work car, Taurus, from autozone and within 2 months they were making noise again. They were under warranty but I still had to tear the damn thing apart again. I got good wheel bearings about 2 years ago from rock auto for my truck and they are good to go! 0 issues.

Had new in the box a bad(from Mustang Unlimited):

- master cylinder

- steering wheel adapter (wrong placed printboard with bad horn contacts)

- fuel sending unit

- Magnum 500 wheel with bad chrome

I think they send all the coming back bad stuff from other people to people outside the US.... haha!! :chin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned long ago that new doesn't mean good. When I've bought starters and alternators and even batteries, I've made the store put them through the test routines before accepting them. At Auto Shack (now Auto Zone) back in the late 80's they tested 5 alternators before finding a good one.

Since the door is open I will step in with my recent experience on alternators not on a mustang. The wife is driving her 11' Durango taking the kids to school and call me saying something smells like it is burning in the motor. She opens the hood and does not see any smoke. She is closest to the dealer that I absolutely HATE in Memphis and just told her to go there. I go and pick her up and have her start the car with the hood open. It is either the plastic belt tensioner bearing going bad heating up the pulley or the alternator. We get a call from the dealer at 3 PM saying it is the alternator and they want $1200 to replace it. I told them no way for easy access to it and four bolts holding it in. Told them I would come pick it up and pay the $100 for diagnostic time. Work got crazy so wife had to go get it. She gets there and it wont start. They left all of the elctronics on and ran down the AGM battery. I planned to load it on my trailer and could no longer start it. Now it had to be towed. It cosy me $350 to get the OE alternator rebuilt at a local shop and another $200 for a new battery. This darn v6 has a 220 Amp alternator and the battery is AGM and located under the drivers seat in the passanger compartment. Man was that a bad day!

Back