Early 1971 Fastback

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carguy47

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, M-code
OK, I posted some stuff on the "Introduction page"
So, here is my project, a 1971 Mustang Mach 1 M-code.
Motor and trans were replaced with a C4 and 302.
On a positive note (I think??), all the floor pans and trunk pan were replaced, so minimal rust.
Ahead we go...

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 44
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 46
Interior was a disaster.
Wiring and plumbing nightmares.
Overall, needs HELP!
NEW - front and rear KYB shocks, ALL of the interior dash panels and dash pad.
DID have new carpet, new gas tank, new grill.
Replaced all the side markers, front bumper, front spoiler, front tires, package tray, painted trunk area.
Complete exhaust system underway.
Pending leaks - power steering, transmission, oil pan, third member...
Pending - wiring issues...
**OK, I know the package tray isn't original looking. The car was built with Vermillion interior. The previous owner(s) painted the interior black. Way too much money NOW to put back to original, so I will do Vermillion seats and the package tray will tie the red/black together for now.

Attachments

• PackageTray.1.jpg
    PackageTray.1.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 22
Sorry if I am rambling, however I do have a question.
My car has a factory rear sway bar (seems tiny to me). I ordered new parts for it and when I cleaned it, I noticed it had orange and green paint in certain areas???
So I repeated the (mistake?) paint scheme.

Attachments

• RearSway.2.jpg
    RearSway.2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 36
Now, after watching several Bob Perkins videos, I am thinking it was either overspray or brushed on paint.

Give it a look.

Years ago, I knew an old "lead sledder" who has long since gone to that big garage in the sky. However he had a (gross) saying that actually had a lot of truth in it, he used to say, " restoring a car is like drinking out of a spittoon, once you start, you can't stop because its all connected". He was right, it seems that once you tear into a car one thing leads to another until you wind up with a full blown restoration. Hang in there. Good luck. Remember everything does not have to be done at once.

I know the feeling. I am a year into the 427 comet caliente my father left me and all I wanted to do was fix a little rust at the bottom of the doors. Well after a full floor replacement I am further away from getting it on the road then ever. I get discouraged but I take a break and just stand back and look. Gets me motivated every time.

Here are a few pictures. Trunk cleaned up and interior I have to deal with.

Attachments

• trunk.1.jpg
    trunk.1.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 21
  • seat.1.jpg
    seat.1.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 21
  • dash.1.jpg
    dash.1.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 21
The factory used paint daubs to identify parts on the assembly line. The 1/2" sway bar for the 351C-4V cars had an orange daub, the 5/8 for the 429 and B351 had white. Image from the 429 Megasite

Here are some shots of the colors. both colors were in the same spot on both sides of the bar! Car was built - 11/1970

Attachments

• RearSway.3.jpg
    RearSway.3.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 11
  • RearSway.4.jpg
    RearSway.4.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 10
Very nice color combos! My Mach is Pewter/silver with black interior. Wished it had the vermillion!!

Driver's door complete. Waiting on anti-rattle parts before passenger door is finished.

Attachments

• Door.1.jpg
    Door.1.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 8
For the time being, just repainted the rear seat quarter panels. Will order new ones later.
I noticed there are gaps on each side of the seat. Is this normal??

Attachments

• seat.1.2.jpg
    seat.1.2.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 16
Replaced the rear gas cap, honeycomb panel and trim.

Attachments

• Honeycomb.1.jpg
    Honeycomb.1.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 8
For the time being, just repainted the rear seat quarter panels. Will order new ones later.
No, that is not normal. Maybe you have a seat from a car with the fold down rear seats instead of the normal rear seats.

Actually, I was wondering if that was the case. I am not familiar with these cars. Thx

It's been a while since the cover has been off our '71, but I believe the gap is normal. There are trim pieces that fill the void. You can usually find them if you search ebay for "1971 Mustang non-fold down rear seat trim". Here's one I found.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143679553789?hash=item2173f800fd:g:djEAAOSw1HtfMaND
The driver and passenger sides are different.

Back