Flashlight Drags

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1chick

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 429 AT power windows, Ac, rear defrost.......PURPLE!
Has anyone participated in any Flashlight drag events with their cars? They are having one at Pitt. Raceway in a couple of weeks, and although car shows are ok, I would rather drive it than look at it. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Know your car!!! Sitting at the redlight and giving it a little gas on the street could be way different than how it acts on the strip. More important keep an eye on your challenger... you REALLY dont know how their car will respond. Could go straight as an arrow....then it could fishtail right across?:s

Be Safe!!! a safe loss is a win if you still have your car intact at the end.

Good advice! So practicing in the mall parking lot on Sunday mornings would be advisable!

Well personally, I would do it on Saturday morning about 10:00 am. This gives you the ability to see how she will run, manuverability among the mini-vans, dodging soccer moms in the parking lot, and of course racing to the ONE parking space everyone must have!!:D:D

Lol! Well, that wouldn't be pretty! I'd have them running and screaming, for sure!

Not knowing your driving skill level I would just advice flashlight drags can be dangerous because you not only have to control your car, the person next to you also has to control theirs. Unless you have special coverage for "on track" most insurance policies won't cover any accidents during the event, review your policy.

Other wise listen to your spider senses, go in being aware of the risks, be safe and have fun.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
The better choice for a neophyte might be a test and tune at the local dragway-In these sessions you can run against the clock only, your reaction time doesn't matter and you can learn how your car reacts on a drag strip.
fedex-great-idea-600-85384.jpg

:D

The better choice for a neophyte might be a test and tune at the local dragway-In these sessions you can run against the clock only, your reaction time doesn't matter and you can learn how your car reacts on a drag strip.
fedex-great-idea-600-85384.jpg

:D
Not sure I understand the photo-is that a TV show reference or a movie or what?

Jeff it's the FED X commercial where they are sitting around discussing the best way to lower cost. One of the underlings (employee) says "we can use Fedx and lower cost" ...there is silence and everybody stares at the boss, then the boss at the head of the table (pictured) waves his hands around and says "I've got an idea we'll use Fedx" and all the employees applaud.

The first guy (employee) says "that's what I said" and the boss replies "but you didnt wave your hands"

it was a play on me stating for her to test her car for handling and knowing the car and you coming back and saying the same thing.....

0.jpg

so ends the joke

Oh! I get it! I was afraid to ask, really.

Anyway, they have a test and tune on the 25th. But you have to certified to drive on their track, which means you have to go thru their performance driver education courses (3 courses at $185 each). Hmmmm. Or take a chance (a careful chance!) and race all day at flashlight drags for $25.

What to do, what to do

Ask about the driver course if you will have seat time. IF they give you seat time.... believe it or not you WILL have fun AND learn a LOT!!!! if its just instructional/ video...then maybe not.

When I did that for motorcycles it was training and then seat time to practice..... I had a blast. But mine was paid for by Honda.

Yeah, you et time on the track. My boyfriend took it before he drove in the Fireball Run in 2010. It does sound like fun and good experience before attempting to race.

Yeah, you et time on the track. My boyfriend took it before he drove in the Fireball Run in 2010. It does sound like fun and good experience before attempting to race.
Ohhhh and before we offer any further advice ....we need PIC's!!!! not of you....the CAR!!!:D:D

What in the world is wrong with her that you would exclude her from your pic request? :D

and I didn't get the commercial cause I thought a Test and Tune on a dragstrip was a little different that banging gears in a parking lot.-and I didn't wave my hands. Oh and I haven't seen it

What in the world is wrong with her that you would exclude her from your pic request? :D

and I didn't get the commercial cause I thought a Test and Tune on a dragstrip was a little different that banging gears in a parking lot.-and I didn't wave my hands. Oh and I haven't seen it
images

ahh ahh I t....th th th thought it wah wah was thththth same

Last edited by a moderator:
If you lived in my part of QLD every back road is a drag strip hehe. Bad boys and girls race each other all the time. Even 1 of Australia's best known drag racers used to drive 5+ hours to come street racing here.

Can't you just roll up to a test and tune or street meet at the local drag strip or do you need to do that driving course to hit the strip.

I ran in the flashlight drags when they used to have them in Zelienople airport. You don't need to take any classes. Go out make a few passes and have fun. If your not comfortable with the car, don't make a full all out pass, peddle it a little and slowly work up to a wide open pass. There's not much to it. Keep it straight and run it flat out :)

I ran in the flashlight drags when they used to have them in Zelienople airport. You don't need to take any classes. Go out make a few passes and have fun. If your not comfortable with the car, don't make a full all out pass, peddle it a little and slowly work up to a wide open pass. There's not much to it. Keep it straight and run it flat out :)
LOL Turtle...that's the way I learned. but ole Black Betty doesnt KNOW straight!!!! She knows FLAT OUT...really well but not straight. I've got work to do on the suspension to get "straight"

Back