Flexplate Issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MustangGuy2k

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Went to put on the FlexPlate I thought would fit a 351C engine, however, the bolt holes are not properly aligned. This was originally purchased for a 302, however, when I look up Flexplates anything that is listed for the 351C also fits the 302.

Any help on this? I hate to hone out the bolt holes just to make it fit.

Thanks,
MustangGuy2K

I'll spin it more, but I thought the same and turn it a lot already.
When you find the plate's proper alignment, punch a light dimple (or marker) immediately adjacent to the existing dimple on your flexplate to make future R&R easier.

If you're putting in an automatic be sure to remove that pilot bearing.
That is a new issue. I remove what seemed to be the pilot bearing, however, there is another bearing in there that won't allow the converter to seat in that hole. I may have to weld a bolt to the bear because a pilot bearing puller just won't grab the edge of the bearing. Why two bearings?

Not sure why there would be two bearings. Can you post a picture? If someone pushed another bearing or an old pilot bushing further in, that would be a problem. I know this sounds strange, but an old trick is to pack the center hole of the bushing or bearing with bread until full, then take a rod or dowel that just fits the hole and drive the bread into the hole, repack and repeat until the bread forces the bushing out of the crankshaft. Bearing grease works, also, but is much messier than the bread. You can find YouTube videos on this technique.

Last edited:
Bread works great. Before I learned about the bread method I used grease and an extension wrapped in tape which is more effort to clean up than bread...

Not sure why there would be two bearings. Can you post a picture? If someone pushed another bearing or an old pilot bushing further in, that would be a problem. I know this sounds strange, but an old trick is to pack the center hole of the bushing or bearing with bread until full, then take a rod or dowel that just fits the hole and drive the bread into the hole, repack and repeat until the bread forces the bushing out of the crankshaft. Bearing grease works, also, but is much messier than the bread. You can find YouTube videos on this technique.
What type of bread Sheriff-Italian, whole wheat, French?

I've done that a time or three. Works surprisingly well.

Back